PCR testing timing for entry

Back to Forum
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

• stevescoots
    Participant

The official Govt website says From 4am on Tuesday 7 December anyone aged 12 and above wishing to travel to the UK will need to show a negative pre-departure test (LFD or PCR). The test must be taken within the 2 days before you travel to the UK.

I took my test at 5.30pm monday was due to fly at 7.25pm today (tuesday) but Cx has just cancelled and now its 7.25 pm tomorrow (wednesday) I cant seem to get a response if that is over 2 days (its over 48 hours) or if i have to do another sodding test tonight, for another 2 million VND. CX are yet to respond…

if anyone has faced this let me know as i will need to go get my test done again in the next few hours to get the result for tomorrow

Tom Otley
    Keymaster

I had a similar situation when it was 72 hours before travel in the summer.

I missed my flight (long story) and so had to take an antigen test at the airport and fill in a new PLF.

1 user thanked author for this post.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

[quote quote=1139002]I took my test at 5.30pm monday was due to fly at 7.25pm today (tuesday) but Cx has just cancelled and now its 7.25 pm tomorrow (wednesday) I cant seem to get a response if that is over 2 days (its over 48 hours) or if i have to do another sodding test tonight, for another 2 million VND. CX are yet to respond…[/quote]

Hi Steve. sorry to hear of another CX flight cancelation causing long haul passengers havoc.

If I was in your situation, which I hope to be in a few weeks time, my view is the actual rules don’t really matter because its largely down to the local check in staff and they, being told what to accept. To avoid any hassle at either end and for the sake of another £20 – £30, my view is to take a test as close to the departure time as possible – thereby allowing maximum flex if needed.

I would take another test Steve, not because you have to, but it is likely to get you on the flight home. As others have said, the cost of the testing is just a new ‘travel tax’…

Safe flight…

3 users thanked author for this post.

ASK1945
    Participant

[quote quote=1139448]I would take another test Steve, not because you have to, but it is likely to get you on the flight home. As others have said, the cost of the testing is just a new ‘travel tax’…[/quote]

I would support this suggestion.

When I recently returned from Israel I was clear from the Israeli government guidance that their citizens needed a pre-flight PCR test in order to be able to get on the outgoing plane. What was not clear was whether a foreign visitor needed one. I asked two Israeli lawyers to look through the Hebrew version of the guidance and advise me. One said visitors did need the test, the other said they did not.

To avoid the anxiety of not being sure I could fly, I took a PCR test anyway (at less than half the cost of most UK equivalents), got the result within a few hours. No problem at the airport.

The following day, two UK citizens I know well travelled on the same BA flight number as I had done the day earlier. Neither had pre-travel PCR tests and neither was stopped. My point? If you are not sure, take a test, for peace of mind. I am with Martyn on this.

stevescoots
    Participant

Well CX eventually confirmed my test would be ok, however I am not so confident on CX schedule. This flight was cancelled due to staff sickness which a lot of CX crew are doing rather than endure the HK quarantines. I hedged my bets and got Tim to book me on the later same day QR flight just in case! now going to see if i can get another rapid test just in case Qr do not accept. My nose cannot take anymore of this, the last 6 weeks or so at work i have had to take tests 2 times a week and more than one they made my nose bleed!

ESKY777
    Participant

The official UK government website is very clear and actually providers examples for ease of understanding and for added clarity. The test needs to be taken within two days of the date of the scheduled departure. As an example, if a flight is scheduled for 23:55 on Sunday, a test can be taken anytime on after 00:00 on Friday. Therefore a test taken Monday afternoon is acceptable for a flight scheduled to leave at any time at or before 23:59 on Wednesday.
    https://www.gov.uk/guidance/coronavirus-covid-19-testing-for-people-travelling-to-england

K1ngston
    Participant

[postquote quote=1139855]

you make a very valid point Steve, and this is a question for any medical professionals on the blog, can you suffer long term harm by the over zealous who try and tickle your brain with the swab?

I actually scolded someone here a couple of weeks ago for ramming the swab so far up my nose! I told him it was not required to do that and he was to stop immediately which he did luckily!

Just a thought!

Polly
    Participant

Tom,
    Loved that story where you missed your flight….worth repeating it? Cheer us all up…agree

K1ngston re nose swabs, getting so fed up with them. My nose really did bleed….

Halo Sofitel at T5 do an equally great job with their spit test. Done on 7th am, back in 4 hours.£59.
    Well worth it.

Tom Otley
    Keymaster

It was at the awful new Berlin airport.

To be honest, I’ve got PTSD from the whole thing, but there was a funny story about it afterwards.

I’d been in Berlin for the Hotel Investment Conference (IHIF) and was trying to leave Berlin after it when I missed the flight (see link above), and so flew the next day having stayed at a nearby Express by Holiday Inn.

About two weeks later I was on a panel in front of 80 general managers. Before we went on to the stage one of my fellow panelists, who I had not met before, said that she was sure she recognised my name, there was something familiar about it.

So of course I said, ‘Well, I’m the editor of Business Traveller.”

‘No, that’s not it.’ she said. ‘Did you fly back from Berlin after the Investment Conference? They were calling out your name and saying there’d be a delay while they took your luggage off the aircraft.”

So fame of a sort.

SimonRowberry
    Participant

Tom – I can’t read your post because there is a BT graphic re BER covering half of your text!

Tom Otley
    Keymaster

Another thing I can blame that place for !

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls