PC World opens outlet in Galleries North lounge

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)

• FDOS_UK
    Participant

At least it feels that way, I’m sitting next to a Samsung stand – placed in the terrace area, right at the front, thus taking away the space for a few tables, in the best part of the lounge andexposing anyone nearby to inane sales guy chat.

Very ‘premium’, I’m looking forward to Primark opening their facility, so I can buy an extra pair of underpants enroute.

canucklad
    Participant

Just another way to raise revenue, IAG shareholders will be delighted !

And stop moaning FDOs, it’s clearly another enhancement, probably on the back of customer feedback.

“We can’t be bothered traipsing to the shops, any chance you can bring them to us?”
    or maybe…..
    “Shop with the riff raff, you must be joking”

FDOS_UK
    Participant

[quote quote=757634]Just another way to raise revenue, IAG shareholders will be delighted !

And stop moaning FDOs, it’s clearly another enhancement, probably on the back of customer feedback.

“We can’t be bothered traipsing to the shops, any chance you can bring them to us?”
    or maybe…..
    “Shop with the riff raff, you must be joking”

[/quote]

As I said Canucklad, I’m looking forward to Primark and Wilkos would be good too, for bits and bats.

Poundland probably don’t want their brand associated with BA, so I’ll miss them.

openfly
    Participant

With MacDonalds in the lounge it would solve the problem of BoB. Take our own food for the flight, and they wouldn’t have to supply food in the lounge. A win/win situation for Snr Cruz.

Charles-P
    Participant

During the last ‘Inter Airport’ (the principle trade show and conference for the airport industry) I listened to a paper given by an executive from Fraport who stated how lounges would increasingly become more retail minded because of the problems in getting premium flyers to spend money at airports. It seems that regular flyers spend less than nearly every other demographic despite being, on average wealthier.

JohnHarper
    Participant

I suspect like many my objective when passing through an airport is to spend nothing at all and I succeed in that 99% of the time. Putting shops in premium lounges will only cheapen the product so no surprises that BA who are the masters of cheapening their product are at the front of the queue.

ABBA – more justified every day.

FDOS_UK
    Participant

[quote quote=757826]During the last ‘Inter Airport’ (the principle trade show and conference for the airport industry) I listened to a paper given by an executive from Fraport who stated how lounges would increasingly become more retail minded because of the problems in getting premium flyers to spend money at airports. It seems that regular flyers spend less than nearly every other demographic despite being, on average wealthier.

[/quote]

When will these people realise that premium flyers typically visit airports to fly, not buy?

Charles-P
    Participant

John Harper – I share your intentions when traveling and even now when I am retired and as such flying is a more relaxed activity for me I rarely spend any money however the reality is that airports are in effect shopping malls with a runway attached and the users of lounges represent key targets for retailers. Lufthansa, KLM and Air France will all be opening retail outlets in their lounges over the coming months. Such is life.

esselle
    Participant

EK make a nice job of retail in their F lounge in DXB. The interesting question is how/if the airport get a % of sales, how that varies from the rate the retailers pay in public areas, and if the consumer sees any benefit through lower prices (LOL).

openfly
    Participant

FDOS….I think you have got it wrong. These airport things are, in truth, shopping malls which just happen to have have a large motorway attached allowing planes to come and go. These allow more customers to shop in the mall. The mall owners hate the waste of space for the runway as this could be used for more expansion of the sales area!!

MrMichael
    Participant

This is similar to an earlier thread about shopping and airports. As I stated in that one, the fact is that airport retail is a huge earner for the airport and thus they do not have to rely on landing and handling fees for income. This in practice leads to lower landing fees etc and thus a reduction in fares. Another thread sometime ago debated how air fares in all cabins are considerably cheaper in real terms than they have ever been, by some margin. I would guess the consistent growth of places to spend your money at airports has contributed to the lower fares. Another thread discussed the fact many airport lounges avoided the retail entirely, from security to gate. So really it is no surprise that the airlines (seems not just the terrible BA) are allowing some retail in the lounges, it has to be in the interest of the retailers, airline and airport. An “enhancement” we will all benefit from in lower fares along with a bit more profit for all involved. Everybody happy.

Tramor01
    Participant

This is the future according to FRAPORT

I was told by the guys that built this e-commerce site for Frankfurt Airport that a number of other airports around the world (including some well established favourites) are very interested in adopting the concept

canucklad
    Participant

What an absolute ignoramus I am. All these years, happily believing that airline lounges where are place of sanctuary. An exclusive piece of space away from the hustle bustle hassle of the shopping mall shenanigans. Silly Bily me !!

Would it not be better in this day and age of digital advancements to offer premium passengers in the lounge a personalized shopping service.
    Just trialled virtual reality goggles that you attach to your phone. Very interesting experience.Add a personal shopper to retrieve and deliver.

RichardBarr
    Participant

IMHO, BA has done a splendid job in the LHR Galleries First Lounge when it comes to marketing dutyfree alcohol. I’ve quite enjoyed each of the campaigns put on there; from the whiskies to the gins. The First Class tasting opportunities in a relaxed setting are something I look forward to when passing through LHR T5.

On the other hand, I dislike being forced through the dutyfree shops when transiting through airports or to get to the lounge, as demonstrated in Madrid.

openfly
    Participant

@RichardBarr…..totally agree about being forced into the duty-free shopping maze against my will. I have managed to train my wheelie bag to knock low-positioned bottles off the shelves…and smash! So much satisfaction, as I just carry on walking with my trusted bag behind me.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls