Paying for seat allocations

Back to Forum
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

• Anonymous

ItsTheHud
    Participant

I booked a Club World ticket to JFK whilst a bronze member. I now have silver status – and hence was expecting to be able to choose my seats for this booking without charge.

However, BA.com is still indicating a cost of £60 per seat per sector.

Should I call the Executive Club about this? Or is the £60 charge correct due to the fact I was only a bronze member at the time of booking?

Thanks for any help

Saffjoyfox3
    Participant

I think that bronze members can choose seats free of charge a week before flying, but I suspect it may be worth querying the charge.

sparkyflier
    Participant

Has your membership number changed whilst going from Bronze to Silver? Maybe the first digit of the card changes with status. You could input your new number on the booking, the system may then recognise your status and allow you to make the reservation for the seat you are after.

FormerlyDoS
    Participant

I would call BA, you should be able to choose your seats FOC as a silver member.

TimFitzgeraldTC
    Participant

If you are bronze you can book for free seven days in advance. If you are silver then it is free anytime. Speak to BA and they should be able to sort this for you.

Tramor01
    Participant

You spend several thousand pounds on booking a business class flight and then they ask for another £60 to reserve a seat on each flight- CRAZY! No wonder I stick with Star Alliance 🙂

ItsTheHud
    Participant

Thanks for the comments – have called BA and now have seats allocated for ‘free’!

scott66
    Participant

I guess you’re flying a 777. I just came back from JFK on a 747. £60 gets you an allocated seat on the main deck, I can’t remember how much (trauma related amnesia!!) but top deck is even more expensive. However I’m pleased to report this was an infant and child free zone.

FormerlyDoS
    Participant

TheHud!

I’m pleased it worked out. Just a post event thought, did you check that your BAEC card number was showing in MMB?

IIRC once I had the same experience as you and when I checked, the # was absent, adding it then made seat selection free.

ItsTheHud
    Participant

FormerlyDoS,

I think the problem was simply that I was too eager to get my seat allocations done. I had only held silver status for a day or two and it appears that not all areas of BA.com had been updated to reflect my silver privileges. By the time I spoke to BA on the phone last night everything had updated itself and I was able to allocate all my seats for free on all future bookings.

Thanks for the suggestion, though!

Tim2soza
    Participant

My experience is that it takes a week for status to actually function on the booking engine.

My gripe is that a mis-coded AA flight has short changed me on BAEC tier points and I will miss renewing Gold as a result. And can I get AA to recognise the error? No chance so far.

VintageKrug
    Participant

I really don’t see the point in paying for seat allocation while on business; I usually get if free as a top tier cardholder, but if I lapsed, I wouldn’t be paying out.

Totally understand it for leisure trips, though.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls