Passengers to be treated as cargo in the future…

Back to Forum
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

• Anonymous

Bath_VIP
    Participant

… if this patent by Airbus ever comes to fruition. The cynics among us say that we have already reached this point!

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/newsbysector/industry/12019984/Airbus-wants-to-build-shipping-container-cabins-that-detach-from-planes.html

I actually think this is a clever idea with a lot of potential. Basically it is containerisation meets airline travel.

AnthonyDunn
    Participant

I liked the passengers sitting on the shoulders of those in their seats (Fig. 2). Just imagine what might happen should O’Blarney get wind of such a possibility….! ยง:-)

BigDog.
    Participant

Methinks it has merits. As crews are pressed harder and harder to meet tighter turnarounds the cleaning, small fixings (eg IFE, Seats) are being compromised.

Have heard horrendous stories from CC of malfunctioning equipment/WCs being ignored in order to meet the take off slot. One would hope “containerisation” may improve the situation with the cabin being given time to be hygienically cleaned and made fully operational.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

I think it’s actually a good idea. I’ve thought of this myself as I’ve waited to board a plane in a long queue and wondered why we couldn’t be pre-seated in pods that are then fitted onto the aircraft. My only worry would be, what if they’re not fitted on properly and suddenly at 35,000′ become detached???

MartynSinclair
    Participant

@Anthony

What does the intertwined “S” mean please? and how did you print it?

AnthonyDunn
    Participant

Hi Martin, hope you are enjoying BKK.

Not being particularly into emoticons, it approximates for vaguely wavy hair… beyond that, it is also a typographic symbol for “Section”.

It’s at the top LHS (just below “esc”) of my Apple iMac keyboard, together with any number of other symbols across the top keyboard row below the function keys.

HarryMonk
    Participant

Based on the principles of Thunderbird 2? Perhaps Gerry Anderson deserves credit here.

DavidGordon10
    Participant

So that was the original idea behind the mobile lounges on long legs at IAD?

Joking apart, having suffered two dismal boardings onto Easyjet flights this week, standing on the jetway after the gate check, in long rows like cattle for 10 (OPO) – 30 (LGW) minutes, it would be much better to be preloaded into containers where you could at least sit down.

Bullfrog
    Participant

“From battered cattle, to comfortable cargo” …

TominScotland
    Participant

6 across in Economy (Figure 2) – is that some kind of Airbus joke or is that their idea of the new containerized First?

PegasusAir
    Participant

I, like DavidGordon 10, have experienced this very poor boarding process with EZY on 3 flights in recent months, mine all from MAN and I have complained to a ‘Regional Manager’ about it. I don’t know if it is an EZY agreed process or a handling agent one – they use the same agent I believe at LGW and MAN. At MAN they start boarding far too early so if you are a Speedy Boarding passenger and if you are not at the gate 40 mins before departure you are then in the normal queue – important for hand baggage stowage. You then stand for some 15 mins in an unheated/un air-con air bridge or on a staircase at MAN – some passengers resorted to sitting on the steps. This is not a one-off. It seems to be now the norm. On one occasion we were queuing before any of the crew arrived and it was on the first flight of the day, so no inbound crew delay. If EZY want to be ‘business friendly’ they need to stop this procedure if that is what it is.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Harry. +1

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls