Passengers robbed outside CDG airport hotel

Back to Forum
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

• AMcWhirter
    Participant

In previous years passengers using Paris CDG have been the victims of crime when en route to, or leaving from, the airport by car or bus.

But the robbing of airport hotel guests while they were waiting for a shuttle transfer to CDG is a new and worrying development.

https://www.thelocal.fr/20170710/paris-airport-cdg-american-tourists-tear-gassed-and-robed-outside-paris-airport-hotel

uggboylovestravel
    Participant

Sheer terror.

It’s sad.

Intheair
    Blocked

Tourists and business travellers in this situation are unfortunately an easy target – probably slightly off guard, possibly tired and jet lagged and usually carrying money and valuables.

capetonianm
    Participant

It will be interesting to see if the police issue a description beyond that in the article. We can be sure that if they are ‘of Middle Eastern, North African or African appearance’ that won’t be stated.

Mind you if they’d got to CDG they’d have been fleeced there by the concession operators selling overpriced food and goods!

Swissdiver
    Participant

Well, CDG is not exactly lying in a posh area. That said, these kinds of attacks find their root in the permissive policies of the successive French governments. Yes, this is sad.

christopheL
    Participant

It never ceases to amaze me how easy it is to forget what happens in one’s own country just to seize the opportunity to do some French bashing.

christopheL
    Participant

I would be very happy to know why my post “has been reported for inappropriate content”.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

Good afternoon christopheL – It certainly wasn’t me.

I started this thread simply to alert readers to what could happen more or less anywhere to travellers when they simply wait outside a hotel for the airport transfer bus.

jsn55
    Participant

This must have been a horrible experience and really sheds light on the lack of proper punishment for small crimes leading to much bigger crimes. But let’s all be politically correct and not deprive anyone of their rights. Wouldn’t you think they’d have targeted a more posh hotel so as to increase the haul value?

LuganoPirate
    Participant

I was talking to a security expert Hueyjudy and strangely the pickings are easier and greater at the 3/4 star establishments than they are at the 5 star ones, as wealthy people tend to carry less cash, will transfer in a private limo so don’t wait around and the doormen are more vigilant.

jsn55
    Participant

VERY good point, LP! Probably the kind of person who hauls costly jewelry around when travelling is also holding a small yappy dog who will make such a fuss the bad guys will move on.

FDOS_UK
    Participant

[quote quote=821309]VERY good point, LP! Probably the kind of person who hauls costly jewelry around when travelling is also holding a small yappy dog who will make such a fuss the bad guys will move on.

[/quote]

Didn’t exactly work out that way for Kim Kardashian, did it?

Swissdiver
    Participant

Timing worked out perfectly for Kardashian, may-be to perfectly…

Tom Otley
    Keymaster

Seems like worries are continuing

Chinese tourists robbed in Paris hotel car park by four attackers armed with tear gas

No injuries reported, but incident renews fears of violence against holidaymakers after similar incident last year

“A Chinese tour group was attacked and robbed in Paris on Thursday evening by four assailants armed with tear gas, according to China’s embassy in France.”

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls