Passengers don't want overweight flight crew

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)

• LuganoPirate
    Participant

I guess that’s the way Russian men think, though if I’m brutally honest……………… well I don’t have the courage to say it lest I be hauled up before the court of political correctness! maybe there’s someone braver than me out there?

rferguson
    Participant

I think the issue here is that these ‘overweight’ stewardesses are the a size 14 which if it is overweight is definitely on the not-too-much-at-all side of it. It does seem to smack of discrimination. You are past your sell by date, you aren’t as glamorous as you once were and so we are going to relegate you to domestic flights.

I don’t doubt people want to see pretty cabin crew. When I go to the doctor it would defintely help if he was gorgeous. If someone approaches me in a store and they are attractive one can’t help but react positively. But if someone older (or heavier) is better at diagnosing me or recommending something in a store i’ll take that.

stevescoots
    Participant

The size thing on crew has never bothered me, from the visual aspect its about the presentation. Smart clean pressed uniform, not looking like something just picked off the bedroom floor, subtle make up and hair, not thrown on with a trowel or looking like a birds nest. A tidy image gives off a feeling of professionalism breeds confidence. No need to smile but dont look like someone has just strangled your cat!

FastFranky
    Participant

The airline are simply confining the babuska to domestic flights whilst ensuring that only healthy and smart cabin crew are rostered on international flights. Excellent marketing policy. Something that BA could use (amongst a range of other factors)!!

ViajeroUK
    Participant

The article would seem to suggest that the ruling only applies to female crew members, which must be sexist.

From a safety point of view it could be argued that genuinely overweight cabin crew might not be able to perform emergency procedures as well as might be expected, although this would apply to all crew, not just female.

Overweight (oversize) crew could also cause annoyance to pax in aisle seats, brushing their shoulders whilst walking in the aisle, although I would have thought UK size 14 would not be a problem.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

As long as we are talking just ‘overweight’ and not ‘obese’..

I have absolutely no care whether cabin crew are male or female, fat or thin, and all other the other demographic descriptions…..

My only concerns are..

1. They can operate as cabin crew and pass all the requirements

2. They look smart, matching uniform, when people where ties, Top button is done up (unbelievably) I will add shirts tucked in

3. I am not spoken to by someone chewing gum with an open mouth

4. That we agree.. crew/passenger to address each other in a non aggressive and polite way.

This is my ideal cabin crew….. sort of rules out all US airline crew…

summerfly
    Participant

It does seem sexist as the article states it applies to female crew. It’s all a bit 1950s (which seems to be the current global theme). Definitely there is a need for crew to be ‘fit for practice’ but being a bit overweight is unlikely to prevent them from doing their job properly. Of course it would be different if they were obese and out of breath easily, but that doesn’t seem the issue here.

As a female flyer I have to admit that my prefered crew member is BA legacy/worldwide & male, regardless of looks or sexuality. I just find them the most professional & engaging. This is just my consistent experience.

FDOS_UK
    Participant

Point 1 – cabin crew are not models or TV personalities, like all people working in a customer facing role (me too), they need to be neat and tidy, endof.

Point 2 – I couldn’t care less about size, until the CC member is large enough that they cannot make it down the aisle without bumping into me with their hips/my shoulder, when it does irritate me as there is no escape from Madam(oiselle) Thunder Thighs and I didn’t sign up to get so close to a 3rd party (I would also say Mr TT, except all offenders have been female, to date).

That certainly isn’t size 14 (or the male equivalent), it’s much, much larger, but I have experienced it a bit in the past year or two.

In the old days, airlines had height/weight tables, presumably these are now considered prejudicial.

Nogbad01
    Participant

I think its time people stopped picking on people due to their size. If someone can do the job, and represent their company/airline in a professional manner, then size (too large or too small) should not matter. And who are we to say what is too large or too small anyway.
    As FDOS says, they are not models!

esselle
    Participant

Years ago there was a restaurant chain in the UK called Berni Inns. They decided to introduce a maximum clothing size for female employees as a way of “improving” the appearance of its staff. It got into the press and did them no good at all. Red faces all round and the policy was quietly withdrawn.

canucklad
    Participant

I remember transiting through Schiphol years ago and spotting a Braniff captain who was so overweight his crew appeared to be embarrassed,and I wondered if he was fit to fly.
    As I grow older,I’m more emphatic to the plight of tubbies. I’m active,yet this extra inch keeps me firmly in my fifties, as much as I try to convince myself back to my thirties.
    However,I make sure I’m well presented and not just flung together like a pound of butchers mince. I expect the same from people I interact with when I’m out and about.

On a more serious note, I wonder if you could come up with an algebraic formula to find out how much these extra pounds are costing the airline per annum. 🙂

jsn55
    Participant

Neat, tidy, professional, friendly, interested in the job. No prob with the weight except if too wide to use the aisle w/o bumping into passengers. BTW, a great number of United FAs fit my description, at least those who work up front.

Flightlevel
    Participant

Sympathy for the those who are not healthy and will for their own benefit retire soon ‘though no problem with the women who have had 3 children and return to a career they enjoy with good attitude and knowledge and continue to get exercise at work!
    One airline flown recently the Captain had difficulty leaving through the cockpit door! His salary should have been spent at the gym!

K1ngston
    Participant

Having flown Aeroflot (albeit a few years ago now) having oversized cabin crew is the least of their worries ……

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls