Passengers booted off for ignoring safety video

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)

• GivingupBA
    Participant

I thought this story had some interest:

Air New Zealand Passengers Booted Off Flight After Not Watching Safety Video

And talking about safety, the other thing that caught my eye this week was the video footage of passengers carrying hand luggage (including wheelie bags) down the slides and across the tarmac off the crashed Aeroflot flight at Moscow – personally I thought that was appalling.

3 users thanked author for this post.

capetonianm
    Participant

Good. It infuriates me when people ignore the safety demo and carry on reading. It’s utterly disrespectful towards the crew.

Even more annoying is when they carry on talking. If they’re close enough to me I usually ask them to keep quiet so that others can listen to the demo even if they don’t want to.

Like most of us here, I almost know them off by heart, but that’s not the point.

w8ster
    Participant

[quote quote=933815]Good. It infuriates me when people ignore the safety demo and carry on reading. It’s utterly disrespectful towards the crew.

Even more annoying is when they carry on talking. If they’re close enough to me I usually ask them to keep quiet so that others can listen to the demo even if they don’t want to.

Like most of us here, I almost know them off by heart, but that’s not the point.[/quote]

absolutely. many airlines try to make their video entertaining, cultural, funny as well.. if they go through those effort for passenger safety, least we could do is give it the respect it deserve.

4 users thanked author for this post.

capetonianm
    Participant

many airlines try to make their video entertaining, cultural, funny as well..

Many of those efforts are dismal failures, the classic being the BA ones with their baffling attempts at ‘humour’. I am no lover of regulation and standardisation, but I often wonder if there should be a standard safety briefing to cover basic procedures, produced and mandated by ICAO, for all international carriers. They could then add their own localised bits if they so wished.

5 users thanked author for this post.

canucklad
    Participant

[quote quote=933811]personally I thought that was appalling.[/quote]

[quote quote=933815]Like most of us here, I almost know them off by heart, but that’s not the point.[/quote]

Same capetonianm, know them off by heart.

Actually had a wee smile with the Lufthansa lass as she was going through her drill , when she noticed me strain to see her beyond the flapping curtain divide.
    Simply rude to talk and been seen to actively ignore them.

My routine is the same regardless of aircraft type…..

• Shoes on till the ping
    • Wallet, phone and passport on my person
    • Nearest and 2nd closest exit (rows away counted)
    • Vulnerable fellow passengers noted
    • Headrest checked

As for the Moscow incident, I’m afraid appalling doesn’t quite do it for me GivingupBA
    Every one of those luggage totting idiots that can be identified has blood on their hands , and dependant on what the specific instructions were should be considered for prosecution !

w8ster
    Participant

[quote quote=933819]

many airlines try to make their video entertaining, cultural, funny as well..

Many of those efforts are dismal failures, the classic being the BA ones with their baffling attempts at ‘humour’. I am no lover of regulation and standardisation, but I often wonder if there should be a standard safety briefing to cover basic procedures, produced and mandated by ICAO, for all international carriers. They could then add their own localised bits if they so wished.[/quote]

haha yes I agree BA’s version is terrible (based on my last experience a long time ago before I quit flying them completely). I like the standard briefing for all with little localisation.. would also mean its more concise and straight to the point (hopefully).

2 users thanked author for this post.

GivingupBA
    Participant

[quote quote=933820] Simply rude to talk and been seen to actively ignore them…. My routine is the same regardless of aircraft type….. – Shoes on till the ping, Wallet, phone and passport on my person, Nearest and 2nd closest exit (rows away counted), Vulnerable fellow passengers noted, Headrest checked [/quote]

I like your checklist, canucklad – I do a couple of those (wallet and passport in my pocket, exits noted) too though I’m not a nervous flyer at all. What also concerns me is hotel safety: I always request a high floor far from the lifts, because I want peace & quiet and I hate noise. I do briefly check exits BUT with my general doziness and physical condition (not young ha-ha) there’s no way I’d get out in a bad fire, oh well I just hope for the best

And about “Simply rude to talk and … actively ignore them”, I couldn’t agree more. I have a lot of respect for cabin crew, and also appreciate their devotion to duty and hard work. And I always pay attention during safety briefings.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

You will never “force” all passengers to lift their heads from a book or newspaper – HOWEVER – for the safety of all other passengers, it should be an offence for passengers to either be talking to each other, speaking on a phone or listening to music during the safety demo. This can only be enforced if cabin crew have the authority (from the airline/ their employers) to do this, which in the main, very sadly, they do not.

Well done Air NZ….

4 users thanked author for this post.

BugAdvisor
    Participant

I would always choose a manual demonstration over a video – especially the BA video which is like watching an unfunny comedy sketch over and over. How they could make something so bad with so many talented actors beggars belief.

The videos are always longer than the manual demo.

It’s easier to ignore a video than a real person.

I think that many frequent flyers think it’s cool to ignore the safety demo as they know it backwards. In these situations they should be encouraged to perform the demo themselves – now that I’d watch!

Alsacienne
    Participant

I would like to see the briefing stopped … and an announcement made to ask those who are reading to ‘look up’ … including naming rows!! … and then restarted when those folk get the hint. OK so it might not work for ‘automatic video’ safety information in large aircraft with multiple cabins, but for your average 737 series or A319 or 320 why not. I have seen this happen on both Easyjet and Ryanair, and greatly appreciated them doing so. I have also been roundly abused by those whose loud conversations I have interrupted or those nearby who prefer their book/magazine/tablet … but it is sadly that sort of traveller who might impede my safe exit from the aircraft in case of an emergency evacuation.

canucklad
    Participant

[quote quote=933828]I think that many frequent flyers think it’s cool to ignore the safety demo as they know it backwards. In these situations they should be encouraged to perform the demo themselves – now that I’d watch![/quote]

I’d add, that they would be presented with a jesters hat with bells prior to doing it.

Ohhh, and at the end of the demonstration , other passengers can either heckle or applaud dependent on performance.

rferguson
    Participant

I think demanding everyones attention is fighting a losing battle especially in the days of personal entertainment devices. People are now much more likely to be glued to their mobile phone or ipad during the safety demo than a newspaper.

Part of this is the fault of the airlines. A few years ago you weren’t allowed to use your personal devices during taxi – obviously covering the period the safety demo plays. Now you can use PED’s for taxi people are glued to them.

The airlines have a big role to play in how important the safety video is perceived – i’ve flown many that don’t even draw the attention of passengers to the fact the video is playing by making an announcement. The video just starts and there is absolutely no cabin crew presence in the cabin or they only race out to point out the exits only before disappearing again. At BA we have to stand in the cabin for the duration the video plays. Obviously so we can ensure everyone has the ability to watch it. Then you have airlines like Qantas where even though the video plays the cabin crew still have to do a manual demonstration showing the ‘real’ equipment in the video.

My personal view – I am not going to request anyone to ‘pay attention’ to the safety video. I don’t work on narrow body aircraft with ‘self help’ overwing exits but if I did I WOULD request the attention of the passengers sat at those rows. However, like I said in the previous paragraph, I would ensure that everyone that wants to watch it has the ability to do so. If people start talking loudly or disrupting others ability to take in what is being demonstrated I will ask them politely to sshhhhh for a few minutes. I would certainly be very polite and discreet about it. There is no need to give them a public ‘telling off’. It would just be making things difficult for myself. But if they didn’t heed the request to allow other people to watch the video undisturbed a threat of taxiing back to the gate and being offloaded may be made.

6 users thanked author for this post.

rferguson
    Participant

I’m sure this crew got 100% attention for their safety demo!

Hysterical.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

[quote quote=933877]I would ensure that everyone that wants to watch it has the ability to do so[/quote]

Once again the issue of removing bags in an emergency evacuation (Moscow this week) has been highlighted and based on the above comment a passenger could turn round after the event and claim “I didn’t know”.

I think it is important that every passenger is made aware of all parts of the safety briefing, especially, do not remove bags in the event of an emergency evacuation. If it can be proven the additional time it took for a passenger to selfishly include his bag in the event of an evacuation, caused an additional death, the passenger ought to be prosecuted.

Sadly, it is not the fault of cabin crew (and I am very respectfully to rferguson on this point), but as has previously been said, until the airlines provide the authority and support to cabin crew to ensure safety briefings are taken more seriously, nothing will change..

PatJordan
    Participant

A couple of years ago on an EI flight from LGW to DUB, a passenger seated beside me continued to speak on his phone while the cabin crew were making the safety announcement.

Despite my most baleful glare, this pax continue his (terribly important) conversation. Like many others here, I find this blatant disrespect appalling.

So I decided to shame this pax….I called the cabin crew, and on seeing the pax (still) on his phone, the pax was severely admonished and instructed to put the phone away. He swiftly complied!

The cabin crew member smiled at me and offered a seat change, which I gratefully accepted.

On a serious note, a few moments silence to enable all to hear details of emergency exits, etc, particularly those unfamiliar with flying.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls