Passenger films evacuation of smoke filled cabin

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)

• MartynSinclair
    Participant

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-49243757

about as stupid as trying to take hand luggage off in an evacuation…

1 user thanked author for this post.

TiredOldHack2
    Participant

Well, at least not impeding others.

openfly
    Participant

BA, in their statement, say that it was caused by a “technical issue”. Really? I just cannot believe that!! 🤪

canucklad
    Participant

After reading the report and assuming its accuracy , my initial reaction is that , this “incident” was managed very poorly by the cabin crew.

[quote quote=952162]about as stupid as trying to take hand luggage off in an evacuation…[/quote]

And agree with you Martyn, what sort of idiot pulls out a camera and starts filming rather than taking care of themselves in an acrid smoke filled cabin —Bonkers

Folium
    Participant

[quote quote=952223]what sort of idiot pulls out a camera and starts filming rather than taking care of themselves in an acrid smoke filled cabin —Bonkers[/quote]

Probably a contender for a Datwin Award. At least plonkers like this do the planet a favour by removing themselves from the gene pool, albeit unsuccessfully on this occasion!

TiredOldHack2
    Participant

[quote quote=952223]hat sort of idiot pulls out a camera and starts filming rather than taking care of themselves [/quote]

Well, from the look of it he’s in a window seat and the centre and aisle seats are occupied. Hard to tell whether the aircraft is on the ground or still in the air – I suspect the latter.

Also, as a journalist, I’ll tell you – this is precisely what I’d do, if I could. I’d grab an image.

AircraftLover
    Participant

I may be wrong, but, after watching the BBC video, this is what I think

Most of the passengers are seated
    This video was made by a passenger seated in an F seat, a window seat
    I believe, this video was not interfering with any evacuation procedure

I think this video was taken on the ground, right after landing at the airport
    And before the cabin crew initiated the aircraft’s evacuation

AircraftLover
    Participant

I believe, the BA crew handled the emergency situation professionally

christopheL
    Participant

@AircraftLover
    Well, what you think is either right or wrong, depending on what really happened in the plane.
    What about waiting for the results of the investigation ?

canucklad
    Participant

[quote quote=952253]Also, as a journalist, I’ll tell you – this is precisely what I’d do, if I could. I’d grab an image.[/quote]

In retrospect you might be right TOH2, and as a member of the fifth estate I can understand your desire to capture the story. This is a newsworthy event .

My immediate response is as a non-journalist
    And is based on my initial gut instinct to protect my privacy.
    The continual and repressive intrusion of my private affairs being shared on social media at the whim of the device owner IMO is as much if not more a breach of my privacy as CX’s or any companies use of my data , who at least have the decency to request my permission first.

FrDougal
    Participant

[quote quote=952223]After reading the report and assuming its accuracy , my initial reaction is that , this “incident” was managed very poorly by the cabin crew.

[/quote]

Considering the timeline of events (it began to occur during the approach) and the fact that it was not a clearly catastrophic incident it appears to me that the crew dealt with it in an exceptionally calm and professional manner considering the plane was filling up with mist. The last thing you want is to to jump down a slide and get immediately sucked into a turning fan blade.

Now to the passengers, they seem to be the badly behaved ones. Taking out their phones to film their 2 seconds of fame. What utter nonsense. And then grabbing their luggage with no care for anyone else impeded by their moronic behavior. And who stands up when smoke is filling a cabin? Everyone knows one should keep their head down as smoke rises.

It seems the priority of people these days is 1: Grab phone and film the big scary situation, 2: grab personal belongings, 3: Save your family and yourself.

We’re screwed as a society.

2 users thanked author for this post.

Poshgirl58
    Participant

Just seen an interview with one of the passengers on Channel 5 news. He was complaining about lack of communication and being shouted at by the crew.

I’m no expert, so I’m sure someone will correct me. I’ve always thought that cabin crew waited for the evacuate command from the flight deck, if the situation allows.

There are so many “experts” these days, wanting their five minutes of glory…..

SimonS1
    Participant

Let’s face it, no-one on this thread has a clue, it is just guesswork.

An acrid, smoke filled cabin – but miraculously people are sitting there breathing normally and taking pictures.

I can’t tell whether this was in the air or on the ground – but I’m going to guess anyway.

This incident was poorly handled by crew – based on my expert analysis of reading the newspaper.

The crew dealt with it in a calm and professional manner – well I wasn’t there but I sound authoritative.

And so on. What a load of arse talk. Luckily in due course a more sensible investigation will take place and the real facts established.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

My hope when BA managers view this video is to give cabin crew more authority in their primary duties, keeping passengers safe. I was shocked on a recent shorthaul flight when the passenger next to me, phone ringing loudly, took a call during the safety briefing, in full view of cabin crew and started the call by saying, “yes I have a few minutes to speak”.

When I asked the senior cabin crew member about this during the flight they said they have no authority to to ask a passenger to stop making calls when the aircraft is on stand. In this instance, the safety briefing was being given on stand in AMS as very unusually, the departing runway was in the central area not the one 20 minutes away.

My reason for posting the video was not about what happened to cause the emergency, but to highlight the stupidity of the women looking for her 5 minutes of fame. Cabin Crew should be given the authority to ensure passengers phones are turned off during the safety briefing and especially during an emergency.

2 users thanked author for this post.

SimonS1
    Participant

To be honest Martyn I hope BA do not come to any conclusions based on a single 26 second video clip. There is no context at all and most passengers appear to be sat quite calmly awaiting instructions (hence earlier comments about ‘acrid smoke’ appear rather odd).

As for people on phones, well of course it’s unsatisfactory but there is no evidence yet that it was a factor here. The comments made to you sound more like the usual BA approach, always blaming something else rather than taking responsibility. I presume the CC could have requested the passenger to end the call (common sense regardless of the legal position) but chose the usual ‘avoid confrontation’ route.

Incidentally I don’t see anything to suggest the person doing the filming was either delayed or delayed others in evacuation. All I see is a group of passengers awaiting instruction. 5 minutes of fame? Really?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls