Paris – 17 shot dead

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 40 total)

• Bullfrog
    Participant

A tragic slaying supposedly in the name of religion.

Until mainstream Islam stands up to these Jihadists who murder in the name of Islamism, these barbaric monsters will maintain their network,

Western democratic countries must seriously review how they support and deal with the autocratic leaders of the countries from which many of these lunatics originate and for whom so many deluded westerners support.

seasonedtraveller
    Participant

I used to be a regular business traveller to Paris when my territory was Europe & in fact, we still have an office very close to where this terrible atrocity took place.

I was in Chicago on 9/11 & woke up to the TV news as it unfolded. I used to travel to the USA so frequently that my young family didn’t even know which city I was in….. Being completely out of contact with them, and them not knowing, (no phones etc) had a profound effect on my daughter & even now, she still dislikes me travelling every week.

I was also in Monterrey, Mexico during the tragic shootings in the (oddly named) Liverpool shopping mall.

Agree 100% with Canuklad, Stevescoots and others.

How we can murder people in cold blood in the name of some spurious belief is beyond my comprehension.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

The situation has moved to within 6 miles of CDG. Sky News are reporting that 2 runways have been changed following concerns about the amount of armed police within the locality.

2 aircraft have been reported as overshooting when the hostages were took.

http://news.sky.com/story/1404787/paris-terror-suspects-cornered-after-chase

Poshgirl58
    Participant

Later reports say CDG closed for arrivals but there hasn’t been a recent update on that. Watching further events unfolding in Paris on Sky News livefeed, I cannot help but think why did the French police let them get away. No doubt when these ghastly events are brought to an end, an expert will provide the answer.

christopheL
    Participant

Poshgirl58

Swissdiver
    Participant

They killed them all. I would have preferred them in prison for years instead of seeing these idiots becoming heroes for other idiots. But it seems police didn’t have the choice…

Charles-P
    Participant

My wife, daughter, son and I drove to Paris from our home near Antwerp and we walked with the crowd, the entire event was moving, inspirational and felt 100% safe. I saw on more than one occasion Muslims coming up to Jews, shaking their hands and saying, “Not in my name”

I saw an Imam holding an Israeli flag, I saw an orthodox Jew walking arm in arm with a young Muslim teenager.

These attacks could very well have done the complete opposite of what the terrorists wanted, they have made France more united and more determined to protect its freedoms.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

Charles-P – +1, I hope so…

BigDog.
    Participant

Charles-P – 12/01/2015 08:53 GMT …These attacks could very well have done the complete opposite of what the terrorists wanted, they have made France more united and more determined to protect their freedoms…

Fully agree Charles, that was certainly the impression I took from watching events on the TV.

Further, it would appear that with the exception of the BBC, journals/journalists will not be kow-towed into self-censorship. It was a touch, odd though not unexpected, that heads of several countries where press freedoms are highly questionable sought to be front and centre in the show of unity.

Charles-P
    Participant

BigDog – your point about journalists and the attitude of the BBC is a good one.
    It is fair to say that here in Belgium both Dutch and French speaking media are much more ‘hard headed’ than the BBC on this issue. Several of them have reprinted the cartoons from the magazine, they have written editorial pieces making clear their determination to be heard while regretfully the BBC is still following its usual ” kum bay ya” approach to Muslim extremism.
    Only this morning on the Today program I heard a presenter talk about the need for a “greater understanding of what drove these people” and could it be solved with “more resources” as though throwing money at them would change their views.

MrMichael
    Participant

Charles-P, I was with you all the way….not in person, but in my heart.

SimonS1
    Participant

Indeed Charles. Most Moslems are perfectly decent people who don’t have any time for this type of terrorism.

It looks like there were some intelligence issues here and as the dust settles it will be interesting which heads roll as a result of that.

Charles-P
    Participant

SimonS1 – I agree. Like many here I do extensive amount of business in the Middle East and list many Muslims among my friends. They are as appalled by these events as we Europeans.

My long time agent in Jordan pointed out to me only recently, the Taliban, Al Quida and ISIS are these days killing many more Muslims than they are non-Muslims (the recent attacks in Pakistan a case in point).

Swissdiver
    Participant

The best albeit violent image I saw about it is there http://choualbox.com/Img/1420759767208.jpg

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Well done Charles, I wish i could have been there as well. For me what was really telling was that Mahmoud Abbas was there walking in front. I just hope and pray that that small act can be a catalyst for peace between Israel and Palestine.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 40 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls