Paraplegic man drags himself through Luton airport

Back to Forum
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

• iflypremium
    Participant

Was offered a chair, refused chair and now wants compensation. Totally not attention seeking.

1 user thanked author for this post.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

[quote quote=903236]Was offered a chair, refused chair and now wants compensation. Totally not attention seeking.[/quote]

Indeed. He was offered help several times which he declined. I don’t think he’ll get a penny.

stevescoots
    Participant

I agree, whilst i understand his choice for independance he did not need to do this and was offered transport that in no way is generally demeaning.

esselle
    Participant

Nothing said about who lost his chair. I assume it was the airline which brought him in.

Surely they should be facing the music rather than the airport management?

FDOS_UK
    Participant

[quote quote=903336]Nothing said about who lost his chair. I assume it was the airline which brought him in.

Surely they should be facing the music rather than the airport management?[/quote]

Since a change in the law, a few years ago, it is the airports who have to deal with this.

I agree that the airline is the party who caused his problem.

IanFromHKG
    Participant

It is the airport that are required to provide assistance, and by all accounts they did so – he just refused to accept them, apparently on principled grounds that he wanted his independence (which I understand, but does not mean that the airport didn’t satisfy their obligations). I’m not a litigation lawyer, but I would have thought he would struggle to succeed in a claim against the airport.

I agree with esselle, from what I can see here, it is the airline that lost the chair which is the culpable party. Strange that they aren’t named, but the airport is. What on earth is going on?

I suspect there are some facts not included above which are relevant, or that someone is pushing a very particular agenda.

canucklad
    Participant

My gut instinct when I skimmed through the story and replies was a simple imply , this a case of someone £making a mountain out of a mole hill!!

Then I read the BBC article and realised I was seeing the world from a very privileged position. I’m able bodied !!
    And worse, can be politically incorrect when it comes to disability. A classic example me and my pals use when describing each other when we’ve had a few too many ……. As “being legless” ….totally tacky, and inaccurate as I’m still able to propel one foot in front of the other to independently make my way home.

So, in reality I’m not really in a place to fully appreciate how Justin Levene felt when his “legs” had not arrived at Luton with him.

However, if I was the operating airline I’d be at the very least “embarrassed as hell ” by being so negligent when managing such a critical piece of equipment. As for Luton, if Prestwick can offer “independence” wheel chairs a much busier airport such as Luton, should get their act together ?

GivingupBA
    Participant

In case you didn’t read it, he has now dropped his idea of legal action:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-46133121

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls