‘Paper’ night train firm dies

Back to Forum
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

• AMcWhirter
    Participant

In recent years there have been numerous ‘paper’ airlines many of which never saw the light of day.

Then came the paper train firms and, again, only a few of these have survived.

Latest casualty is Midnight Trains which has been posting its bold plans for the last few years despite not having any rolling stock let alone actually ordering any such stock !

One of these plans involved Edinburgh-Paris which, at the time, excited Scottish media. But of course, for reasons we have discussed, such a route simply would not happen.

The problem for Midnight Trains is that it lacked the capital to invest in new trains let alone wait years for these luxury trains to be built and certified.

(As noted before when Austria’s OEBB ordered new Nightjets from Siemens in 2018 and only recently did they enter service)

https://www.midnight-trains.com/post/where-the-night-dies

cwoodward
    Participant

As you mention Alex there are many airlines that never got air under there wings and many more that were always likely to fail.

Of those that did get into the air an astonishing number of airlines have failed in the past three years alone.

A quick look showed that 2021 saw twentyone failures and in 2022 over thirty failed last year almost forty scheduled airlines closed.

Most were ether recent start-ups or LCC but some like Flybe, Air Moldova,Go first, Virgin Australia, LATAM, Avianca, Cathay Dragon etc
    were major long term players.

It’s a tough business !

1 user thanked author for this post.

STORMIN'
    Participant

LATAM, Avianca…? I don’t think so!

LATAM with its various subsidiaries in the LA Region is one of the largest airlines operating in the LA Region. Avianca likewise, although it’s unfortunate that it does continue to exist. Once upon a time, it was a great airline; now it’s an ULCC airline with zero service to speak of. I’m out in that part of the world on a regular basis – as recently as last week – Avianca is on my banned list.

cwoodward
    Participant

I believe that you will find that both airlines failed @STORMIN and were brought back to life by new owners/money.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller June 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller June 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls