Packed and Ready!

Back to Forum
Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)

• IanFromHKG
    Participant

I used to be a minimalist traveller – I could get laptop, printer, clothes, documents, everything, into a single pilot’s bag. But that’s not a fun way to travel. After years of this, I had a revelation and decided that it was far less stressful, and a lot more comfortable, to accept that I would spend an average of 20 minutes (and often much less) waiting for bags at airports. In percentage terms it added bugger all to the length of the journey, and it means that I don’t have to bother with getting laundry done mid-trip, I can take extra clothes in case of an unexpected invitation out or weather changes, I have enough clean T-shirts and shorts to slob around the room in, I can take extra pairs of shoes so I am not wearing the same pair continuously for 3 days (I have – er – “hot” feet) etc etc. Much less stress, and frankly the time spent waiting at the carousel isn’t wasted as it is a good opportunity to browse the blackberry and see what has come in while I am on the plane. I also get to watch all the stressed and harried hand-luggage-only passengers scurrying off for no good reason hoping to “save” the 20 minutes I have decided is better spent this way

The key packing issues, to my mind, are not how much or how little you pack, but how you pack it – especially for multi-stop journeys. I always carefully arrange my luggage so that whatever I need first is on top, and that I have plastic bags aplenty for the things I have finished with. That way, as I go, each time the suitcase is opened I take the plastic bags out and everything I need next is right there in the top layer, I don’t need to unpack, or to ferret around in the case looking for something that could be anywhere.

My hand luggage is permanently packed with everything I need – adapters, chargers, cables, DVD player and pack of DVDs, medicines, aromatherapy oils (wake-up and sleep-time), pens, emergency change of underwear and shirt, cufflinks, etc., all separately packed (mostly in ziplock bags) so I can find them easily and they don’t all get mixed up, and a Jeremy Clarkson book (the perfect thing for light relief, particularly since being collections of newspaper/magazine articles they are so easy to dip in and out of). All that remains is for me to put my travel itinerary and other trip-specific papers into the plastic sleeves which are permanently in the outer pocket of the bag (so I don’t have to open the bag to get at them), load up all the newspapers I haven’t read since my last trip (I love catching up on flights) and off I go…

HongKongLady
    Participant

Black jeans are perfect for all ocassions, or in warmer climbs black linen trousers. If I am somewhere warm white linen trousers are added too. Shirts/t-shirts/jumpers can all be added in various colours and then all you need is suitable foot wear. I am not a fan of hotel laundry especially if it is for something I am fond of. Mix and match makes clothes go further as do accessories.
    All packed in either my Antler carry or wheelie or my larger Samsonite spinner which can be carry on if wanted unless the airline is being difficult. I agree with Ian that sometimes it is easier just to check in so all I have to take on board are essentials for the flight e.g PJs,cosmetics, Kindle/laptop and a magazine, in my wheelie lap top bag.

IanFromHKG
    Participant

I must confess I don’t like travelling in jeans – far too stiff. I much prefer loose clothing, and even have some extra-large shirts I keep especially for flights

judynagy
    Participant

Linen? Are you serious? I never pack anything that requires ironing, silk or a blend hangs out overnight.with a little warm water in the bathtub. I packed light once, I didn’t like it. I agree, 20 minutes at baggage claim is not an inconvenience at all. By stickig to black, beige and a couple of bright colors, I don’t have to bring lots, but as my assistant said once, “I like a choice” when I get dressed. Nobody wears scarves anymore, so I take several; I haven’t worn jeans in years, too uncomfortable.. I’m lucky to be tall with broad shoulders, so I don’t have to get as “dressed up” as smaller women but I enjoy looking stylish. I discovered years ago that loafers with cashmere socks are the only way to guarantee comfort with decent looks. If I analyzed my packed bag, it would probably be 60% “stuff” and 40% clothing. Shoes are numerous, I never know when my feet will rebel and require a different pair I require coffee on awakening, so that’s a little kit, some electronic goodies, LOTS of toiletries and accessories, several paperback books and support docs for computer projects.. A snack or two with a little bottle of wine, just in case the midnight munchies hit. Two days’ worth of clothing in my carryon plus all the other required stuff if luggage disappears for a day or two. I’m impossible to fit, so can’t just run out and buy clothes if I need them. I find shoppng a bore when travelling, but I always bring a nylon tote bag just in case I find something I can’t live without, it doubles as a laundry bag if not.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

I suppose I am a lazy so and so where ironing & pressing are concerned, ask the hotel to sort out on arrival.

SPG Plat includes a number of items per day. For non SPG hotels, I just request the hotel to build it into the rate.

Pierre
    Participant

Hi!
    As FlyingChinaman does, I travel with three changes + jeans for the trip itself.
    I never check any luggage in, travelling with hand luggage only. ( my case fits any overhead compartment, even on Embraer/CRJ). It avoids losing times with crowds of fellow passengers, and skip the risk of losing any item.
    Safe flights to all!

BeckyBoop
    Participant

Hand luggage is always my handbag and laptop.

Checked luggage is a wheelie bag

I generally take dresses for both day and evening wear with me when i travel as they are easy to fold and light to carry, gym wear and a swim suit. Otherwise like Judy my bag is full of cosmetics and accessories. Onboard i usually change into some leggings and my hoody (i always get cold) if i am going from the office to the airport othwise if it is from home i will put these on prior to leaving. i am going a few days prior to any clients/events which i have to setup then i will take some jeans/shorts and a few tops.

Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls