OW Auckland flight advice needed

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)

• summerfly
    Participant

Hi,

Does anybody have experience travelling Lhr to Auckland in J via Singapore/Sydney/ Doha with one world carriers?

What does the stopover in Singapore involve on BA & Quantas – do you go through security checks at all?

Qatar seems a good option but the flights Doha -Auckland & return are very long and I’m worried about supplements & prescription medication being confiscated in Doha security – I have multiple health problems.

I would welcome advice and recommendations for this trip as it’s the holiday of a lifetime for us after I suffered health problems. I’m one world Emmerald so would prefer an option within the alliance, but if other better or cheaper options are available I might be swayed.

Thanks

Gold-2K
    Participant

If going LHR to SYD via SIN you will all get off the plane with your hand baggage while the plane is refuelled. You will stay airside but you will have to go through security to get back on the plane. At Singapore all gates have their own security with the usual process of removing laptops, liquids etc.

At SYD if you are transferring directly to a flight to AKL, again stay airside, there is no customs but there is Transfer security to get from arrivals level to departure level, exactly the same process as transfer at Terminal 5.

Above assumes you have a single ticket for LHR/SIN/SYD/AKL so your bags are checked through all the way to AKL. If you have made the trip as separate bookings you will of course need to collect your bags, go through customs and then go landside to check in for your next flight. Sorry if I am stating the obvious, but if this is the case you will need an electronic visa for entry to Singapore and Sydney even if you are only in the country officially for 30 mins.

If you want to do OneWorld, we’ve done LHR/HKG/AKL a couple of times on BA/Cathay which worked really well. Only one stop but 2 long flights. Again no customs in HKG but there will be transfer security. I’ve been through it a few times in the last 12 months and although they don’t have a fast track lane, it’s never taken more than 10 minutes to get from arrivals level back upstairs to departures.

And of course in HKG you get to use the amazing Cathay lounges.

My other half travels with 4 different prescription meds and never been a problem. We keep the meds in their original packaging, and we always carry a copy of the prescription just in case. But never been an issue.

And one thing to watch, if on BA, pick your flights carefully to be sure you get the Club Suite, especially if you are on a 787, may still be an old forward/backwards layout.

Enjoy New Zealand, it’s amazing!

1 user thanked author for this post.

cwoodward
    Participant

Your flight would be faster and cheaper and arguably more comfortable by making the trip via HK ether with Cathay or a combination of BA and Cathay.
    Just the one stop in HK and a far greater choice of flights with as little as 2.6 hours hours in HK and a total travel time of about 23 hours. Cathay has 5 flights daily from LHR.

2 users thanked author for this post.

Mark
    Participant

I have vital medication and travel with a letter from my doctor stating why.
    Never a problem.

ASK1945
    Participant

Mark wrote: “I have vital medication and travel with a letter from my doctor stating why.”

I don’t even do that. I just download and print all the relevant information from my record on the NHS App and it’s always up to date (without having to pay for another letter if my prescription has changed).

2 users thanked author for this post.

sparkyflier
    Participant

Another Oneworld option could be Malaysian Airlines.. They use A350 to KUL and then A330 to Auckland. Not sure if they will be up to CX standards and be an efficient hub but maybe other posters can add their insight of this option.

Certainly the lounge in HK will be hard to beat but maybe fares using MH can be competitive?

I have only flown MH on short haul flights and on 737s and their cabin crew were very good.

And this option would also give many BAEC tier points at 160 +140 each way so 600 return.

Brett
    Participant

From bitter experience would avoid using Qantas and if using OW go through HKG.

If booking internal flights in NZ try and use the Air NZ domestic site rather than UK site as it gives you access to cheaper flights.

Enjoy your trip.

cwoodward
    Participant

If you book your internal ANZ flights on your Cathay ticket useful and useable benefits on ANZ become available. (Check websites)
    Cathay and ANZ operate a type of joint venture on the HK – Auckland route with Cathay normally flying twice a day and ANZ once.
    If deciding to use Cathay make sure that you book the Cathay flight as the ANZ flights carries both a Cathay and an ANZ flight number and frankly the aircraft and particularly the seating on ANZ is inferior -although their food and service is good.
    As you may have gathered this is a route that I have flown many times.

AlanOrton1
    Participant

If you are ok with the longer DOH-AKL sector, you may find Qatar a very strong option.

Their J product, specifically their seat, dining, quality of wines and AVOD are exceptionally good. Having flown them both in the last few months, I’d rate QR above CX on these considerations. (Particularly the Q Suite and AVOD. Food and wine still decent on CX).

The J lounge in DOH (if not on a business lite fare) is also excellent, with a separate dining floor etc.
    If business lite there is a OW emerald lounge, just not as fancy.

The CX F lounge in HK, which you’d have access to, is outstanding. However, most of the journey time will be on board, so may be a slightly secondary consideration.

On my last Asia trip I found QR to be priced better than CX.

Another option, as mentioned above, is Malaysian, who might also be the lowest priced option.

A left field option could be via the US with AA (who use Qantas for the trans pacific segment).

Enjoy!

Gold-2K
    Participant

And of course if you are considering a west bound route, remember Qantas fly direct from JFK to AKL …….. if you like the idea of 17hrs40min on a 787-9?

FormerBA
    Participant

By far the QR service is the best way to do this journey especially in J. A single stop in an airport that works brilliantly well. Security there is very smooth with dedicated fast track security for premium passengers.

If you are starting in a UK region or EU then you avoid LHR. Cathay is also excellent but my transit through HKG in Jan was marred by the simply vast distances to the gates. Much as I ike Cathay they are not the airline they once were.

cwoodward
    Participant

‘vast distance to the gates” thats a new one !

Interesting and a little difficult to understand given that there is –
    a ‘within terminal’ light rail to the further gates (3 minutes maximum),
    travellator’s to all gates- minimal walking
    plus electric carts (pay) for those that don’t want to walk at all.

If that is ‘FormarBA’s’ only criticism of the airport then it is I feel rather misplaced.

Mike Tucker
    Participant

Different route admittedly but having recently flow Qantas from Manila to Christchurch return I would avoid at all costs flying with Qantas again! The flight to Sydney took circa 8 hours with only one meal offered and it wasn’t even a proper meal just a main course and then a cheap ice cream Qantas are a low cost carrier trying to compete with the big boys! Fly either BA/Cathy or BA/Qatar in my humble opinion

cwoodward
    Participant

….but premium fare costs.

JamesTC
    Participant

Malaysia Airlines are very competitively priced, so you should be able to save at least £1000 each compared with Qatar and Cathay.

You get 2 long flights, no middle of the night flight changes, OW benefits and £2K to spend in NZ….

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls