Overpriced Airport Parking Charges

Back to Forum
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

• Anonymous

DavidFitz
    Participant

Is it just me, or do others feel we are being ripped off by airport parking charges.
    As a regular traveller, I have found my daily parking charge has increased more than 30% within the past year, due to a new booking in advance parking system online. This works okay when you can book months in advance perhaps for your annual holiday, but like me having to book flights often within 3-4 weeks before travel is having a very negative effect regarding my travel allowance, to a point that I’m having to travel from other airports. I never thought I would see the day when airport parking cost more than the flight. Surely we shouldn’t be expected to pay any more than city centre car parking charges.
    I fear airports have a very challenging future, and need us regular travellers, surely as a community we should be getting together to voice our opinion. I have already voiced my opinion with management of my local airport and the reply was very uncaring, no respect or loyalty and this has been the case for my colleagues.
    I fear price fixing is becoming the norm, for example taxi from my house to the airport is often the same price as parking at the airport, nor do I live in a town centre, with regular public transport to the airport, not do I choose flights that it would even be possible to use public transport.
    I’m interested to hear how other travellers get around this problem.

SimonS1
    Participant

I’m not sure there is a way around the problem unless you can book in advance or get there on public transport. Personally I take a taxi to a local station and train from there.

I’m sure the parking companies will come up with some line about discouraging car travel but the reality is its just supply and demand.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

It’s not just regional airports. Rail stations are also hiking parking fees in a bid to raise extra cash.

The problem faced by regional airports is that airlines are refusing to pay higher landing fees and so these airports must seek alternative revenue streams.

That is why some airports have “development fees,” drop-off charges (for passengers arriving by car/taxi), a fee-based fast track and even a fee for using a smoking zone.

Ironically soon after Newquay axed its £5 development fee, it led to an increase in air service.

HappytobeSilver
    Participant

I parked in the short stay car park (not the multistorey) at Edinburgh airport last week for 32 hours which cost £78.80- a rip off . Usually I fly from Glasgow which would have been £47.00,a less costly but equally ripped off sum

FDOS_UK
    Participant

I use National Parking Services at MAN, meet and greet at the drop off zone, from about £40 for 3 days up to £75 for a fortnight – pretty good deal and they seem to look after my car, too.

stevescoots
    Participant

I use purple parking for LHR meet and greet and return. Usually 90-120 quid for a 2-3 week stay, it’s been about that rate for 2 years.

the odd occasion I use the train I park at Peterborough, the main station short stay works out to about £18 for 5 hours, the shopping mall multi-storey less than 100 meters away is half that, and more secure!

Just to add, in my hometown the council charge anywhere from 1.20 to 2.40 an hour. 8am to 9pm. M-S, and 5.00 Sunday. The NCP ones that are right next door to them have a flat rate of £3,00 all day, free after 8pm and free on Sunday. Guess which ones get used. Oh and the NCP ones have attendants for security as well. Right in the town centre our courthouse was closed and there used to be a county council carpark pay and display. With it closed they took the machine out. The cheeky **** local council put a bunch of road closed signs at the entrance but could not block it as there are several solicitors with their own carparks there, to deter people using it for free…because they have their own rip off car park opposite. Rant over

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls