Options when BA flight partly cancelled

Back to Forum
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

• fam. Bos
    Participant

We have booked a British airways flight going to Japan via travelup with a connecting flight. Since 3 weeks ago we have found out that part of our flight have been cancelled. We are due to fly 13 days from now and we didn’t hear anything from both parties yet about the cancellation of our flight or about the partly cancelled flight. We have emailed travel up already but there is still no respond. The question is, since the first flight is not cancelled yet but the connecting flight has been cancelled already, do we have to fly from origin?

To make it a bit clear,

Ams-LHR NOT cancelled yet
    LHR-Japan cancelled plus all the return flights.

SimonS1
    Participant

Assuming this is all one ticket you will be able to cancel for a refund as BA cannot complete the contract.

As it is via a TA you will have to deal with TravelUP….from reviews online you will likely face a £50 pp “admin fee” or they will pressure you to take a voucher of some description.

1 user thanked author for this post.

VMR Travel UK
    Participant

My advise to you is to call BA in Holland and to ask for a refund.
    We have clients in Germany that had similar issues and while in the UK BA clients typically only get the option to rebook or to take a voucher BA was far more accommodating in Germany due to their consumer protection laws. In fact our client was refunded everything including credit card fees.It might not be necessary to go via the TA, I would definately recommend to contact BA directly. Failing that you then need to address your agent. Where is the agent based?

Martin

YorkshireTraveller
    Participant

Unfortunately you will need to go via the Travel Agent as your contract is with them, not BA, but they should be able to act on your behalf. It will take longer to get a refund because of this but as far as I understand it, EU law stipulates that if one part of a booking is cancelled, then you have the right for a refund so long as all flights are under one booking reference. Hope that helps.

fam. Bos
    Participant

@vmr travel uk: travelup base in UK and I alraedy called BA and they just advising us to contact the agent.

SimonS1
    Participant

[postquote quote=1000871][/postquote]

This was in the Guardian 2 days back.

https://www.theguardian.com/money/2020/jun/17/travelup-customers-have-to-contend-with-ever-changing-tcs

SimonS1
    Participant

[quote quote=1000869]while in the UK BA clients typically only get the option to rebook or to take a voucher BA was far more accommodating in Germany due to their consumer protection laws.[/quote]

To be clear, in the UK you are entitled to a cash refund. That is 100% clear, there is no requirement to rebook or take a voucher. EC261 applies here.

capetonianm
    Participant

OLTAs are fine until something goes wrong. It is not worth trying to save a few £/€/$. You introduce an additional link into the chain, another potential problem area, and the after-sales service may well be worse than the airline as the staff are often poorly-trained and unmotivated.

In the circumstances, as others have said, you are entitled to a cash refund. If TravelUp’s terms and conditions state that they can charge you a fee for processing that refund there is not much you can do about that, it’s part of what you agreed to by booking with them.

2 users thanked author for this post.

agsteele
    Participant

I have used TravelUp on a number of occasions and found them generally good and responsive to booking issues when problems have arisen.

In common with a lot of customer service teams during the CV-19 situation they are going to be slower to respond than normal. If you need out of hours support they have an ’emergency’ phone line – 0118 334 7648 If you haven’t been able to resolve your problem yet then I would wait until 20h00 UK time and call this number.

It is a number to deal with urgent issues but I’ve had good service when I suffered last minute cancellations during a LH strike. They rebooked me with another Star Alliance airline at no extra cost.

TimFitzgeraldTC
    Participant

As others have posted – it will be a full refund from BA via the Agent. BA refunds are quite quick as not requiring manual approval – which most airlines are doing. It is possible the agent might need money to be physically refunded from BSP for cash flow purposes – but shouldn’t take more than 14-21 days tops to get the refund back on your card if they have sorted their processes.

capetonianm
    Participant

A look at this website will show ‘generally good and responsive’ they are.
    Similar reviews can be found on TripAdvisor and elsewhere.
    https://www.trustpilot.com/review/travelup.com

From a review

No wonder Martin Lewis voted this company the worst in the U.K. So so sad to treat customers so poorly. Ps Check out the Facebook Travel-up Support Group for refund issues

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls