Only a question – Why do wheel chair passengers need to Q jump at security…

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 47 total)

• SimonS1
    Participant

Martyn – you didn’t say in the OP that the pushers were “family”. I believe on most occasions this isn’t the case, the pusher is someone employed by the airport to provide assistance. So it wasn’t an unreasonable assumption to make.

I have to agree with Bath VIP, I can imagine that travelling with a disability adds hassle and I have no issues seeing people get the extra assistance. In fact I begrudge it less that the business types who are so full of their own importance and status that they feel a need to barge everyone out of the way in their drive to demonstrate their sense of priority.

Put another way I have never queued at the gate and missed my flight as a result of a disabled passenger getting assistance. Funnily enough I have never come across anyone who has. Maybe I have waited a few extra minutes, then again I would otherwise have been sat on the aircraft for those minutes going nowhere so I can’t see the point in getting worked up about it.

IanFromHKG
    Participant

Following up on KarlMarx’s point, I forgot to mention in my earlier post that wheelchair users (IME) are last off the plane, and often have to wait for the wheelchair assist to arrive. That means the other passengers get a big headstart at immigration. When I last travelled business class and had to use a wheelchair, I am guessing (it was a while ago now) that I probably lost something in the region of half an hour. I do remember on one trip that my bag was the last one remaining on the carousel – every other passenger with check-in luggage had clearly been and gone. When you think about it in that context, is a queue-jump really such a hardship for the able-bodied to bear?

In case any of you have never been on crutches, by the way, let me tell you that it is a painful experience if, as was the case with me on both occasions, you are not able/permitted to touch one leg to the floor (it is a lot easier if the afected leg is able to bear some weight). Your hands are NOT designed to hold half your full body weight (that is to say, half each side) for extended periods of time on a bar that is less than an inch wide. Within a couple of days of starting to use the crutches, even with lots of padding, the palms of my hands were visibly bruised – but I had to continue putting my weight on them. If I had to stand for any period of time (think, waiting for wheelchair assist) then my hip and back would start to hurt because most of my weight was on one leg.

So, as someone who has had to wait ages standing in pain (it is extremely rare for there to be seating at a check-in area) for wheelchair assistance to arrive, I would like to emphasise again the importance of the wheelchair staff minimising their time moving around the airport – all the time they are in a queue, they are unable to assist another passenger who may be waiting for their help. Yes, in a utopian world there would be enough staff to attend to all disabled passengers immediately, but since we don’t live in a utopian world I don’t see why there is such concern about this issue.

Having said all that, what does make my blood boil is abuse of the system by people don’t actually need a wheelchair but demand one to make their lives easier. And I would add that in this context “need” can go a long way beyond disability. My elderly mother-in-law, on her last two trips to HK, had wheelchair assist not because she was not able-bodied – physically she was and continues to be very fit for her age and perfectly capable of walking unaided for a short distance – but rather because at her age she ran a severe risk of getting too tired if she walked too far. I would add she also has a severe speech disorder which made it virtually impossible for her to communicate verbally – although we provided her with speech cards, we were really concerned that without assistance she could run into problems. For both these reasons we thought wheelchair assistance was appropriate (and, I might add, would happily have paid for it).

These issues – and identifying visually whether someone really needs a wheelchair or not – are a lot more difficult than some people seem to think

dutchyankee
    Participant

I understand the frustration but likewise feel it is appropriate to give added assistance or priority to those with `true` mobility issues or other disabilities. What I have a major problem with is the situation that has become more and more apparent in the USA now that many passengers are requesting wheel chair assistance for the exact reason to get priority through Security, and once through security they are off their chair and walking without any problem. it has been reported on frequently in the US media, but to legislate this would be very difficult as asking someone to `prove` their disability could be construed as discrimination, etc. So the abuse of the system carries on in the US, which to me is shameful.

Charles-P
    Participant

As the son of a wheelchair user I share the frustration of ‘dutchyankee’ in seeing obviously fit and healthy people requesting wheelchairs simply to ensure they are at the front of any queue and can fast track through the system. Within the US this is becoming a serious problem and some airlines have been asking for doctors notes or proof from those they suspect of faking.

IanFromHKG
    Participant

As I alluded to before, the ability of someone to get up and walk the last short portion of their journey through the airport doesn’t necessarily mean they didn’t need wheelchair assistance at all. So although I share the frustration of others at abuse of the system, which I am sure does occur, it is rash to jump to the conclusion that someone being able to walk a short distance unaided automatically makes them “obviously fit and healthy”.

dutchyankee
    Participant

Hi Ian, I think what Charles and I are saying, and by no means am I speaking for Charles, is about the blatant abuse that is occurring at the moment in the USA. There have been videos on the media of very able bodied people, who the minute through security, tip their wheel chair handler, and amble off through the airport. It is not about walking a short distance, it is about being fully able bodied and just using the wheel chair as a device to get you through security quickly. The unfortunate reality is that this happens, and increasingly more so. I wish the abusers could somehow be fined for this, but that takes people to control the situation and then under whose budget would that fall, etc. I really hope for what Charles said and that those requesting wheel chair assistance need to provide some proof of need such as a Doctor`s note to avoid the abuse.

IanFromHKG
    Participant

I agree entirely with you about abuse, and said so in my post.

I am not sure that the Americans with Disabilities Act permits airlines to demand medical evidence. I recall reading in another forum about service animals in airline lounges that staff are permitted to ask what particular task a service animal is trained to do, but are not permitted to make enquiries about the nature of the relevant person’s disability. I confess I am no expert, but I suspect that the solution is not as simple as it perhaps ought to be.

dutchyankee
    Participant

I am sure your are right on this Ian, as I mentioned earlier, I think it is a tough one to legislate due to fear of any possible discrimination. I wish those that abused could be `named and shamed.` So fully agree with you on this.

IanFromHKG
    Participant

A quick search revealed any number of policy statements from various organisations – which are so consistent I can only assume they come from statute or government guidelines – along the lines of:
    An employee may ask an individual with a disability:
    a. If the dog is required because of a disability, and
    b. What work or task the dog has been trained to perform.

An employee may not require documentation of disability nor proof that the dog has been certified, trained, or licensed as a service animal.
    UNQUOTE

Given this, and assuming the relevant provisions don’t just apply to disabled persons with service dogs, then it would indeed appear that the US airport authorities are significantly hampered in avoiding abuse of the system

MartynSinclair
    Participant

Some US airports (Orlando for one) do have separate wheelchair lines, even though they are not named as such. Irony is that those lines are sometimes longer than the able bodied lines.

Just to reiterate the reason for my question, I am not questioning the need for anyone being given extra care and attention for medical reasons, I am just trying to understand why a wheel chair passenger needs to jump Q’s to simply have to endure the same wait on the other side….

The situation in the States where wheelchairs are being ordered for “Fast Track immigration purposes” – is simply extremely distasteful….

IanFromHKG
    Participant

What do you mean by “endure the wait on the other side”, Martyn?

MartynSinclair
    Participant

apologies, bad choice of words…………change to:

…………endure the wait by the boarding gate or in the departure lounge……

canucklad
    Participant

Morning all

Bath_VIP , your Newark story brought a wry smile to my face
    An exact opposite of the disgraceful behaviour by some in the US is my Dad, now in his 80’s his vision is now severely impaired, yet is to proud or possibly just stubborn to accept help, and on occasion feels affronted when offer is given.

He walks 4 miles a day, probably just an excuse to stop for a ½ pint of St Andrews Ale, never the less would been less than happy at being offered wheel chair assistance and would never think of asking for priority treatment at security. Although would probably take it if offered, dependant on circumstance.

The reason I agree with Martyn is that at my work I’m a great advocate of allowing people ( Our customers) the privilege of taking responsibility for themselves. By recognizing and making a fuss of someone’s disability and I use the word disability grudgingly the “good Samaritan” themselves can act in a discriminatory manner by ironically acting with perceived kindness.

That said, I’ve got to accept that my views on this come from “ME” an able bodied, still no glasses, reasonably fit person who has come to detest the golf buggy culture in the US as obscene!

Charles-P
    Participant

A personal experience here to illustrate my frustration. I was pushing my mother through JFK in her wheelchair and we were encouraged to move to the front of the boarding queue. As we waited a woman said to me (and these are direct quotes),

“Does she always get that sweet deal with the queuing” She then turned to her friend and said, “We can ask for that next time and save a lot of time”

My mother took my hand and said, “deep breath darling, the world is full of fools”

dutchyankee
    Participant

Charles, that is so unfortunate, and it is thanks to the abusers that people like that say those offensive things, as they think the abuse is now the norm. I am not sure I would have kept my calm, and instead have given those ladies a real taste of my anger.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 47 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls