Oneworld to get a new member?

Back to Forum
Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)

• alainboy56
    Participant

If it is RAM then there will be problems for BA/QR/IB etc. RAM have in the recent past courted EY and an ex member of the UAE Govt told me that they had been required, among many other things, to cut out the ‘Ali Baba’ mentality, instill strict security/controls/CCTV etc etc and impose heavy labour penalties for theft.
    The CMN station manager did not want to ‘play ball’, as he would lose his ‘cut’ and so EY/UAE walked away.
    Recently RAM have been courting QR (of course the cursed enemy of UAE), and now we can see the results of this love-in, if its true as contributors here allude to.

IanFromHKG
    Participant

RAM does seem more likely from what is said above. As for CZ – well, I am not sure that there is that much conflict between the two. I haven’t done a full analysis but on each route I have looked at into China, I’d have ended up using CX/KA anyway (and not just because of my FF status) – CZ either aren’t on the route or don’t offer such a good product. It would be valuable for CX and other OW members to have a domestic airline in China, even if it is based a bit too close to HK to be ideal from CX’s perspective. Remember also that despite being managed by Swire, the mainland has considerable influence over CX, as witness the various shareholding shuffles that have taken place

rferguson
    Participant

There’s part of me that things CZ may eventually join but another part that thinks it might be quite happy with the status quo of doing lots of codeshare deals with various airlines that work for them. Many airlines that have far greater financial involvements with airlines IN alliances (Aer Lingus and Virgin Atlantic for example) have never joined the motherships alliance. But it makes absolute sense to not have a carrier you’ve invested in belonging to a competitors alliance.

Anyway, I guess we will find out later today 🙂

AMcWhirter
    Participant

It will be Royal Air Maroc.

alainboy56
    Participant

Oh dear Oh dear! – RAM is a lot like AF – service in the air is quite acceptable (although I have only used them frequently in Europe), but on the ground at their ‘Ali Baba’ base in Casablanca – Mohammed V (Cinque) CMN, its pretty poor. The airport facilities are managed by RAM, like in other arab countries eg DOH, where the airport is exclusively operated by QR personnel.

cwoodward
    Participant

It is interesting that RAM will not become a full member until mid 2020 and it would be reasonable to believe that the reason for this lengthy delay is because RAM have a lot of work to do as currently their Casablanca hub is a frightful mess that will need a good deal of work to fix. It seems that RAM manages (owns?) this facility thus one would imagine that it can be pulled into line. Their out-ports though are another matter entirely and the web is littered with horror stores of missed flights, lost ‘stolen’ baggage and aggressive abusive treatment of pax. Lots of work to be done but being Africa this will probably take years to even partially correct.

How long before before Cathay announces a new route Hong Kong – Casablanca or a code share with RAM ? (who have 4 X 787 10s on order and do not at present fly to Asia).

Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls