Oneworld to get a new member?

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)

• rferguson
    Participant

Was reading this article on SKIFT earlier today which speculates that Alaska may wish to become a Oneworld ‘Connect’ airline.

Further down the article it states that OW have scheduled a press conference on DEC 5 to announce ‘it’s first full member recruit in six years’.

Wonder who it could be…Alaska? China Southern? Philippine?

Alaska Airlines Hints It May Finally Join the Oneworld Alliance

1 user thanked author for this post.

travelworld2
    Participant

My bet is China Southern. I wonder what the cost of joining an alliance-referred to in the article- is?

sparkyflier
    Participant

With China Southern leaving Skyteam, and being close to AA, that could make sense. I wonder if it could be Royal Air Maroc, but really hope it is not. In theory it would help Oneworld have a greater African coverage, but their schedules into West and Cenral Africa are awful – often arriving at 1-3 in the morning. Who wants to do that? And with most routes on a 737!

In my opinion BA should ply some of these routes themselves, and that they would make money.

Iberia’s Africa attempt has been a disaster, withdrawing from many routes.

But a way Oneworld can have a decent airline in Africa and fill a hole is Rwandair. Modern planes, decent service and a substantial network – enabling Oneworld current members to compete with ET and KQ.

Could an airline in India make sense – Indigo? What does the forum think of that?

Alaska could be a decent addition and seems to make sense.

stevescoots
    Participant

my money is on CZ

AMcWhirter
    Participant

[quote quote=906530]my money is on CZ[/quote]

Today @ChinaAvReview tweeted that CZ and AA “signed enhanced cooperation MOU in Guangzhou on November 28. The agreement includes enhanec FFP earnings and redemption, lounge access and extended codesharing.”

CS KOK
    Participant

CZ only leaving Skyteam on 1 Jan 2019 so cannot be joining OW in Dec
    It is Royal Air Maroc

openfly
    Participant

China Southern joins…Cathay leaves.

transtraxman
    Participant

There seem to be a list of candidates to join Oneworld as full members or at least as associate members.
    China Southern appears to be the most likely candidate. It leaves Skyteam but has as a major shareholder American.

Alaska Airlines is a strong candidate as it has cooperated with OW members for years.Tha announcement in December does not stop them from joining OW in January. The aforementioned possibilities of Royal Air Maroc and Rwandair are also on the cards.

Other airlines which cooperate with OneWorld are Bangkok Airways and the Mexican airline Interjet. These are also candidates.

One which has been forgotten is Air Italy. Previously known as Meridiana it is now owned at 49% by Qatar. Considering that Qater owns 21% of IAG and has investments in LATAM and Cathy Pacific it seems logical that Air Italy joins the alliance to join its other investments.
    If none of these is to become a full member of the alliance at least they should be close to joining as associate ones. We shall see.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

[quote quote=906554]China Southern joins…Cathay leaves.[/quote]

Back in July there were already talks taking place between BA and CZ.

China Southern in talks with BA to form a JV

Montysaurus
    Participant

Earlier this year I booked a return flight HKG to PER in April next year with Cathay chosen specifically to get Oneworld tier points and Avios. If, as has been suggested, they left Oneworld would they honour the points and Avios?

cwoodward
    Participant

In my view there is little chance that CZ will be a new member of OW simply because American Airlines,British Airways, Cathay Pacific and Qantas who are founding members means Cathay is one of only four members in Oneworld with veto power. Only these remaining four founding members have veto power and I cannot see any logical reason why Cathay would allow CZ into the fold. It also cannot be ignored that Air China has a significant and long standing shareholding in Cathay and may not welcome Cathay allowing CZ into the family even though they are are themselves a Star member.

AA also have a veto and probably would not welcome Alaskan.

PG is close to several Oneworld members and although small would bring useful new destinations. Air Fiji already an associate member and very small thus unlikely.

If the new member is currently non alined then my outside pick would be 3 star fast expanding RAM with 115 destinations most of which are not currently covered by OW.

Historically American based airlines have a very patchy history with JVs and shareholdings with non American based airlines thus I have some doubts regarding the longevity of AAs current flirtation with CZ.

FrequentTraveller
    Participant

Aer Lingus, coming back, may be?

cwoodward
    Participant

It is being reported that the CEO of Royal Air Maroc will be attending the meeting.
    If correct then its 99% certain that the new member is revealed to be RAM

More Or Less Certain: Royal Air Maroc Joining Oneworld

2 users thanked author for this post.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

Royal Air Maroc has big expansion plans in the coming years. Part of these are an extension of its African network.

Moroccan RAM Airlines to Double Fleet by 2020

Royal Air Maroc to Expand its Presence in Africa

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Rwanda Air is a great airline, well run and efficient. Interestingly on the FAQ part of the website the following is written:

Is the program linked to any other loyalty program of any other airline?
    Not at the moment but in future, yes.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls