oneworld tier points

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)

• Anonymous

Cloud-9
    Participant

Does anybody know if tier points earned on a oneworld partner airline which is not the carrier your miles program is with, merit the same number of tier points? I am a BAEC member but have been unable to get a definitive reply from BA regarding this.
    During a telephone call to BAEC customer relations last week, I was told that tier points earned on oneworld partner flights was only 60% compared to flying on a BA flight. He was unable to tell me where to find this, and referred to his supervisor who toldit is now 100%, i.e. the same regardless which carrier one flew with. However, still no printed guidance existed…..

I checked a friend’s tier points. He is a member of the QFF program and flew BA last year. On a flight which would have merited 90 BA points, only 60 went onto his QFF account. This works about at 60% (60% of 90 = 54, rounded up to 60 points).
    Any idea which is correct? Maybe they need to change their name to ‘point6world’.

Celticplumber
    Participant

With BA EC membership, its the same number of Tier points in my experience.

There is a trip calculator within the EC segment of the BA website which shows you how many Avios and Tier points from flights booked with BA or with OneWorld partners

Str8Talking
    Participant

The simple answer is, no. Usually, the closer the relationship between airlines, the more the tier points (see IB, AA and partially JAL). The link below gives you an idea:

http://www.britishairways.com/travel/collect-avios-oneworld/public/en_gb?DM1_Mkt=UK&DM1_Channel=AFF&DM1_Campaign=AO&DM1_Site=AffiliateWindow&utm_source=AffiliateWindow&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=AffiliateWindow&awc=2601_1359665485_c395aaf6201c22e2a6286fa227d7a02c

Note that just before the termination of the JSA with Qantas, you could earn 100% on a lot more fare classes.

Cloud-9
    Participant

Many thanks for that – I am only interested in Tier points and maintaining my SIlver status with BA. The (great!) chart on your link gives details of Avios but still does not definitively give the Tier percentage except in the case of JAL, AA, IB who give 100% to Silver. On that basis I would hope it is fair to assume MH will do likewise…

Cloud-9
    Participant

Thanks – sadly the BA calculator does not state if the Tier Points are also awarded when one flies with other oneworld partners…

coudntthinkofaname
    Participant

I think there’s some confusion here – BA applies the same criteria when calculating how many TPs to award, whether it’s on their own flights or on OW partners.

I managed to dig out a useful table that is on the FAQs they put together when the Avios change happened in Nov 2011 which is accessible here (click on the last question in the first section)

https://www.britishairways.com/travel/ec-frequently-asked-questions/execclub/_gf/en_gb

As you will see, the TPs earned (whether with BA or OW partners) depends on the class of travel and length of the route.

Also, you can plug in the details of your BA or OW flight and BAEC status in the calculator on the BA website and it will calculate your TPs and Avios (though it can sometimes be wrong so best to double check with the service centre if you’re relying on the info).

https://www.britishairways.com/travel/flight-calculator/execclub/_gf/en_gb

Eccles – the 100%s you were referring to from the link posted by Str8talking are the result of the Joint Business Agreement that BA has with IB, AA and JAL by which those airlines award you bonus AVIOS (and not TPs) depending on your tier status with BA.

C

Cloud-9
    Participant

Thankyou for that. The table certainly indicates that tier points are the same as for ‘BA and oneworld partners’. I will be travelling business class and so would hope to get 160 each way, regardless of whether I fly BA and MH.

JordanD
    Participant

It isn’t full proof, but the OP is looking for this link:

https://www.britishairways.com/travel/flight-calculator/execclub/_gf/en_gb

(You need to log into BA Executive Club to view it) If you then select your airline of travel, your class and the card type you have (e.g. Silver), it will tell you the number of TPs and Avios that you will earn. It isn’t fullproof, and you sometimes have to guess if you are on a full or restricted economy ticket, but it does the job in the main.

Edit: the poster before has given you the same link … that’ll teach me to walk away before hitting Save.

Cloud-9
    Participant

Thanks, I have long used the BA TP calculator: but it does not say that it is applicable to all oneworld flights. However, couldntthinkofaoname’s link has me pretty much reassured now.

JordanD
    Participant

eccles1 – Flying Business Class, there’s very few fares that won’t get you TPs, so hopefully that will help you rest assure!

Cloud-9
    Participant

Indeed – I just need to get 100%, not 60%, as BAEC Cust Serv told me on the phone….

ImissConcorde
    Participant

There are currently no plans for Vueling to join oneworld.

GoonerLondon
    Participant

As coudntthinkofaname says – there is confusion between TPs and Miles. The latter are the ones where a bonus is given on BA and through JVs such as AA/IB and JAL. The other anomaly is that BA also award more miles on the cabin bonus (eg 200% in F, whereas other carriers only get 150%)

TPs however, are consistent across the programme. Some carriers are a bit mean on the lowest economy fare, but in business its consistent. You will get the same TPs on MH as you would on BA

Im not sure you can compare the QF programme – do they use Tier Points? I thought that was a quirk of BA, and every other programme just tracks status miles?

Cloud-9
    Participant

Tier points and status are indeed the same thing, albeit a different expression.
    I recently took a MH one way economy flight and discovered that I had been awarded no BA tier/status points at all: evidently the fare was too low!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls