Oneworld, BA Exec club, avios and Royal Jordanian

Back to Forum
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

• JonathanHallSmith
    Participant

I am about to embark on a series of Royal Jordanian flights.

I have BA Blue card, do not use them much, I do have a large amount of avios points. I am also THY Elite.

Do I sign up for RJ Royal club?
    Can I use my Avios to upgrade on RJ
    Can I get Status Match against my THY Elite?

Or am I best to use my BA Exec Club card, build up miles?Avios on that.

My Company is economy only but I often upgrade with cash or points

Thanks in advance

Sami
    Participant

Hi Jonathan, yes I recommend you to sign up for RJ’s Royal Club program and you can use your avios points on RJ upgrades.

I’m a frequent flyer on Royal Jordanian and while it’s definitely a fine airline, delays can be a problem. However, crew are mostly friendly, food is adequate and Queen Alia airport in Amman is easy to navigate and not too overwhelming like Dubai or Doha.

Safe journeys.

1 user thanked author for this post.

sparkyflier
    Participant

If you decided to allocate your RJ flights to your BA card then that could be a handy way to progress to Bronze and Silver etc, especially if you did last minute upgrades. London Amman in J is 140 points. Also you did not say if you were just going in and out of Amman or were connecting to other destinations. So if you were doing that then this would further bolster your tier point balance.

I have flown them in J and enjoyed all flights (787 & A320). Food was lovely and plentiful, and the service sincere. And the duty free had local food options which made it seem an authentic product rather than a bland international offering. The airport is easy although the J lounge is nothing to get excited about.

A word of warning though, RJ were not good at informing BAEC of the flights I had taken, and needed to send the boarding card copies to BA to get the avios/tier points.

I would look forward to another RJ flight and would love to see Jordan – I country I hear is stunning. I did manage a walkabout one morning in Amman when I was connecting there which was worthwhile.

walterbenjamin
    Participant

RJ previously offered status match, so worth asking even if you may get a negative response. Email address is [email protected]. But I would stick with my BA Gold, given that my base is Amsterdam and they have multiple flights per day, transiting via London also brings down the fare for me. RJ sometimes offers good business class fare from Cairo to Bangkok if that works for you.

Pierre727
    Participant

Agree — relatively cheap business class fares/upgrades + generous TP due to perfect location (if you live in Western Europe, and even better if you connect onto Asia) = fast track to gold status.
    It’s true that service isn’t as good as QR (but more genuine), and layovers are longer. However, connecting through Amman is less annoying than the dreadful middle of the night transfers in Dubai et al.

Alessandro
    Participant

I can’t say I share theabo e enthusiasm regarding RJ.
    On my last flight the windows on the Boeing 787 were totally dimmed out during the whole flight ( centrally).
    This was a day flight and I chose the window seats because I am somewhat claustrophobic.
    Reacting to my complaint the cabin service director told me “the pilot does what he wants”, that was her explanation and she refused to give me her name or comment further.
    I wrote to the CEO months ago and never got the courtesy of a reply.
    Business class seats on the 787 are in a cramped 2-2-2 configuration with a very tight footwell.
    The catering was not bad but that’s where it began and ended. MI had a delay almost 2 hours and missed my connecting flight.
    Personally I will never fly them again.
    Just my opinion…

alainboy56
    Participant

I fly RJ quite often in both Y for short trips from AUH and RUH but also in C from AMM onwards.
    I use my QR FFP for miles awards and they recognise my status without hesitation.
    As others have said here, its not up to QR standards, but then who are? and AMM is a very easy airport.
    Girls are nice and friendly, most being Jordanian nationals (I use those words deliberately), but they do also have some foreign recruited girls.
    The only problems I have had, and on two occasions, was getting awarded for flights made on EY on an RJ codeshare with an RJ ticket out of AUH. Those miserable people at EY, because they are instructed from the top, and this, in the ‘Year of Tolerance’ too, refuse absolutely to credit my miles because I am FFP with (imho the best airline in the world – QR) from that horrible terrorist enemy country called Qatar.
    Jealousy and pure economics – let them prove to me otherwise!
    Somebody also said the lay-overs are sometimes a bit long, which is also true, they are not EK, but anyway enjoy your journeys with RJ — they are not bad.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls