Schiphol’s problems persist

Back to Forum
Viewing 4 posts - 46 through 49 (of 49 total)

• ViajeroUK
    Participant

Transitted Schiphol Thursday evening, Schengen to UK, arrived on a delayed Cityhopper flight with a reduced connection time. Bus to terminal, then short dash to passport control. Passengers with short connections were able to avoid the queue (which in fairness didn’t seem too long) and use e-gates, four e-gates were available with one border control officer after the scanners to stamp passports. Longish walk almost to the end of D pier, a good 10 minutes in hand before boarding started for my flight.

If Schiphol can allow UK passport holders to use e-gates, why can’t other Schengen area airports?

1 user thanked author for this post.

AllOverTheGaff
    Participant

Flew with Etihad from AUH – AMS – EDI 22nd of November and (as usual) found no issues at all. No queue at re-Xray machines, (no need to de-laptop or iPad, no need to take off shoes etc) and into lounge in a matter of minutes. Lounge wasn’t overly busy either and food / drinks both excellent.

I’m a bit of a KLM / Schiphol fanboy, I always have a great experience flying with them and the airport IMO is one of the best transit airports in the world, in fact, I’d go as far as to say it is the best with polite staff, no queues and short walking distances between gates. Albeit my EDI gate was a fair old trek from Lounge 52 but still enjoy the flying experience.

Rgds,
    AOTG.

2 users thanked author for this post.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

Thank you for the feedback.

It would appear, at least for transit passengers (for which Schiphol was originally designed), that AMS is sorting itself out.

Just want to remind readers that Schiphol has a capacity cap in place until end March 2023. It means that a number of flights *may* be cancelled on a daily basis.

We at Business Traveller have reported extensively on air-rail and the fact that Schiphol and home carrier KLM would rather short-haul travellers arrive by train rather than plane.

On the other hand, as we have reported before, KLM remains an air-rail laggard and prefers to control its feeder traffic.

Yes, at long last, KLM has an air-rail product between Brussels and Schiphol but it continues to ply this route multiple times a day … even though the published flight distance is just 104 miles.

This piece from the FT (FYI I wasn’t faced by a paywall when I clicked the link) refers to KLM’s wish that customers, where possible, ought to arrive at Schiphol by train.

https://www.ft.com/content/6e1af2ed-bc84-4f1b-b543-4e3e775362b4

1 user thanked author for this post.

TerryMcManus24
    Participant

Took a 3 day BA citybreak to Amsterdam earlier this month and although Heathrow T5 had the usual “Metropolis” style snake exit Q Schiphol entrance was a breeze.In fact my wife and I were the only passengers going through and when asked for the first time “reason for Business”..responded to check out my bank account of the last 40 Years.He laughed and said sorry but must stamp your passport…Yes sad innit…His response you are Scottish ..welcome….smiles.On return 3 days later easy and UK passports can use E-Gates with quick exit stamp.Both Airport and Amsterdam were very quiet. Enjoyed as usual…Icid…ABN Bank branch at the Airport has now ..Closed.

Viewing 4 posts - 46 through 49 (of 49 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls