Schiphol’s problems persist

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 49 total)

• AMcWhirter
    Participant

Two developments at Schiphol today.

1. Schiphol has asked airlines to reduce capacity by 18 per cent for the month of October. This reduction is in addition to any other capacity reductions already announced.

[NL]

https://www.luchtvaartnieuws.nl/nieuws/categorie/3/airports/schiphol-vraagt-luchtvaartmaatschappijen-opnieuw-capaciteit-te-beperken?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_m

2. Schiphol’s boss has resigned this morning.

Schiphol boss quits over airport chaos as more flight restrictions loom

SimonS1
    Participant

Good to see a CEO fall on his sword to give Schiphol a “fresh start”.

Will that weasel Holland-Kaye do the same to give Heathrow a fresh start?

https://www.euronews.com/travel/2022/09/13/schiphol-queues-airport-slammed-for-flight-cancellations-and-four-hour-delays-as-lines-bui

1 user thanked author for this post.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

As noted above airlines are having to cancel more flights until the end of October.

These are in addition to the previously announced capacity restrictions.

NL Times reports that an extra 34 KLM flights have been cancelled today (Saturday). It’s reported that passengers were told only late Friday.

https://nltimes.nl/2022/09/17/klm-announces-dozens-cancellations-today-schiphol-lines-grow

tomwjsimpson
    Participant

I had my flight to Florence cancelled tomorrow, I’m travelling to Bologna and making my way there myself instead. Hoping the passport lines are better than my previous experience last month …

AMcWhirter
    Participant

Hello tomwjsimpson,

Are you departing or transitting Schiphol I wonder ?

Because the main issues involve travellers departing Schiphol. From feedback it appears there is less of an issue for travellers in transit.

Schiphol is an airport originally designed for the needs of transit travellers.

Any feedback from your Schiphol transfer experience would be welcome.

Thank you.

Today’s Luchtvaartnieuws [NL] reports that the queues for passengers joining at Schiphol are expected to persist over the coming days.

https://www.luchtvaartnieuws.nl/nieuws/categorie/3/airports/komende-dagen-vermoedelijk-nog-lange-rijen-op-schiphol

tomwjsimpson
    Participant

I will be transiting through Schiphol. Not so easy now that my British Passport is an ‘all other passport’ …

AMcWhirter
    Participant

Let’s hope for a smooth transfer experience tomwjsimpson.

Nogbad01
    Participant

I transited twice through Schiphol this week. No problems either way.

tomwjsimpson
    Participant

Very smooth transit, both flights on time, landed early and passport control only took 2/3mins. Feels like the good old days of AMS!

FDOS
    Participant

Data point on Friday 23 Sep, 18h15, hope this may help others.

Check in with bag took 15mins

Clearing security with Sky Priority took about 20 mins – someone in the non-priority queue told me it was nearly an hour.

Overall, could have been worse, however they appeared short of security personnel.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

*Breaking News*

It had been thought Schiphol’s capacity curbs would be over at the end of October.

But Luchtvaartnieuws.nl [NL] has just reported that the capacity curbs will “last for months to come.”

ImissConcorde
    Participant

The problems in the Netherlands don’t stop with airports/airlines. We had tickets from Ammsterdam to Maastricht on 8th July. 2-1/2 hours on one train. The reality was 5 hourw on 4 trains! Things happen but it’s the follow up action that resonates most. I submitted a claim to NS on 11th July. I was advosed it would take up to 6 weeks to process. Now, almost 12 weeks later I am no nearer to a resolution. I usually get the “we are too busy to reply within our usual target” But I’ve also been told that the tickets nummbers are invalid. I sent copies of the tickets and the payment receipt. Still waiting for a response on that!! My normal course of action would be to contact the CEO. Unfortunately there isn’t one. She jumped ship and went to KLM some time ago!!

AMcWhirter
    Participant

Hello ImissConcorde, Sorry to hear of your experiences with NS.

As I have written before UK rail scores when it comes to Delay Repay. The process of claiming has been made easier over the months and years. It can be actioned with the train company online (provided it’s a direct booking) and compensation paid within a matter of days.

As an aside some train companies now pay Delay Repay for delays of 15 + mins. For that length of delay it would be a full refund.

ImissConcorde
    Participant

I had a claim with Southwestern Railways. It was in my account in 5 days!

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 49 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls