Schiphol’s problems persist

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 49 total)

• AMcWhirter
    Participant

I am posting this report to advise readers that the situation at Schiphol is far from resolved.

It all started with a KLM baggage workers strike just over a month ago.

It then led to daily flight cancellations and congestion.

Now the FNV union has issued an ultimatum. Says union spokesman Joost van Doesburg, “Something has to change, we cannot continue like this.”

The union is threating strike action from June 1.

There is much information in this piece from today.

https://www.euronews.com/travel/2022/05/25/long-queues-remain-at-schiphol-airport-after-hellish-weekend-for-travellers?utm_term=Autofeed&utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Twitter#Echobox=1653566716

AMcWhirter
    Participant

According to reports from mainland Europe KLM has suspended ticket sales until Monday.

This drastic move is to alleviate the situation at Schiphol.

I believe it applies only to those departing Schiphol rather than transit passengers.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

Reuters quotes KLM spokesperson as saying, “KLM is putting a brake on sales for flights leaving up until and including Sunday because Schiphol can’t get its security problems fixed.”

The spokesperson then said the cap on ticket sales was needed to accommodate those who had missed their flights due to the chaos at Schiphol.

Amsterdam Schiphol is an award-winning airport and has been voted “best” countless times including by Business Traveller readers.

https://www.reuters.com/business/aerospace-defense/klm-temporarily-suspends-ticket-sales-amsterdam-flights-2022-05-26/

Luxembourger
    Participant

The situation at the moment is quite dire. I was up in Shetland last week with a group travelling variously from BRU and LUX, all via AMS and all on KLM. Every one of them had their travel arrangements disrupted. The luckiest was one who lost a day at the beginning but managed to complete the return as booked with only the luggage being left behind. All of the rest had their return flights disrupted and some of them had their outward journey disrupted too, sometimes more than once. in every case, the cancelation was notified either shortly before or immediately after check-in. The worst case was one of the group who had been due to travel LSI/EDI/BRU last Saturday but eventually made the journey on the Tuesday. KLM seem to be blaming the security problems at Schipol but that only affects passengers joining there. Their own arrangements are in complete meltdown. If you have Gold status on Flying Blue you will get to speak to somebody in 20 minutes or so on the helpline and will probably get some help in rebooking. If you have no stautus, you can if you wish telephone the helpline in the Netherlands but that will give you a recorded message telling you that you need to call later as th waiting time is over 46 minutes, following which you will be automatically cut off. You can alternatively phone the UK line where, if you can bear to wait between 20 and 30 minutes you can get to speak to somebody in a Madagascar call centre. They are helpful but are not familiar with the logistics. of European travel and do not know, for example, that it is not too great a difficulty to get the train from AMS to BRU if your flight is cancelled. Instead, you’ll find that your entire booking is taken off the system even if only the last leg has been cancelled. They have no authority to book you on another airline unless you are calling on the day of travel and no authority to book you in a hotel or on any alternative means of transport. You’ll be told that you have to make your own arrangements and try to recover the outlay on your return. Even worse was a colleague who was travelling from NCL to LUX a couple of days back. Her incoming flight to AMS was delayed and she missed her connection to LUX. She was told that no hotel rooms were available and that she would have to spend the night at the airport. An absolute disaster if you have to work the next day.

I had booked a return EDI/AMS/LUX on KLM travelling out this coming Monday and returning on Wednesday. I need to be in Luxembourg on the Tuesday but need even more to be back in Edinburgh on the Thursday. I had booked it before all the mess started and chose them over BA because I thought they would be less likely to cancel at the last minute. Given all the shenanigans I have narrated above I decided that I had no choice but to accept the voucher KLM are currently offering and to re-book at vast extra expense on BA. Knowing my luck, I’ll find that my travel dates are those on which BA decide to have another of their computer meltdowns. We’ll see. But for the moment, I would not book any travel at all on KLM until they have got the current mess sorted and there is no indication of when that is going to happen.

1 user thanked author for this post.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

Just in case any of you are planning to *depart* Schiphol in the coming days.

As the situation is fluid it’s advisable to check should there be changes.

https://news.schiphol.com/schiphol-terminal-only-accessible-to-passengers-scheduled-to-depart-within-four-hours/

TominScotland
    Participant

I am just in transit at Schiphol, DXB-AMS-GLA. The Purser did warn about delays at Security and Passport Control before we landed. I was through transfer Security in 2 minutes…… My onward flight is posted as On Time so we will see.

Incidently, flew GLA-LHR-DXB last Thursday and never waited anywhere more than a couple of minutes.

The current situation seems to be so unpredictable which in itself is addiing to travel time because we’re all adding an extra hour ‘just in case….’

AMcWhirter
    Participant

Today there have been reports of lengthy delays on arrival at Schiphol.

Then a few hours ago aircraft cleaners at Schiphol held a wildcat strike according to aviation media. [NL]

https://www.luchtvaartnieuws.nl/nieuws/categorie/3/airports/wilde-staking-schoonmaakpersoneel-vliegtuigen-op-schiphol?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

So if readers using Schiphol today find the cabin interior not up to usual standards they will know why.

Tom Otley
    Keymaster

Very bad delays reported at the airport

https://news.schiphol.com/schiphol-asks-several-airlines-to-cancel-flights-today

“Schiphol has asked several airlines to cancel flights today between 16:00 and 23:00. Staffing levels at security today are lower than what Schiphol had requested of the security companies. As a result, there is a shortage of security personnel and the number of waiting travellers is increasing, especially in Departures 3.

After weeks of improvement, Schiphol did not expect to have to take these measures again. Employees in the terminal are doing everything they can to ensure that everyone can travel today, but unfortunately there is a chance that travellers will miss their flight due to long waiting times.

Schiphol regrets the situation that has arisen and understands the disappointment and frustration that it may entail for airlines and travellers. Travellers who miss their flight as a result of long queues at the security check can apply to Schiphol for compensation. Airlines that heed the request to cancel flights will be compensated.

Travellers flying today are advised to keep an eye on the latest flight information and to get in touch with their airline if they have any questions about their flight.”

Tom Otley
    Keymaster

Chaos returns to Amsterdam Schiphol as security staffers massively look for jobs elsewhere; airport asks airlines to start canceling flights

Chaos returns to Amsterdam Schiphol as security staffers massively look for jobs elsewhere; airport asks airlines to start canceling flights

nevereconomy
    Participant

From this forum I felt sure that this kind of a situation was just the result of British inadequacies..except staff at Cotonou of course.

ViajeroUK
    Participant

I must have been lucky last week, in non-Schengen transit at Schiphol from ZAG to BHX. The non-Schengen lounge was only partly open, possibly due to staff shortages but not sure, it was late evening Only problem was that after boarding someone’s luggage had to be removed prior to departure, slight delay because of this, pushed back 10 minutes late.

The problems were at BHX, seems ground handlers were not expecting us, no one on hand to guide the aircraft onto the stand. When we were on stand the Captain opened the cockpit door to say that we would have to wait a bit longer for steps to disembark because they had no one to operate the air-bridge. At least the immigration hall was pretty empty and the e-gates were working fine.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

Consultant Phillip Covell was taking EZY this morning from Schiphol.

He has just tweeted a photo of the scene there right now.

Tom Otley
    Keymaster

It’s the International Broadcasting Convention in Amsterdam at the moment, so I suspect we will get some good pictures of the queues!

https://show.ibc.org/

“IBC2022’s return as a face-to-face show delivered packed halls, standing room only in theatres, bustling networking events and crammed meeting schedules. 37,071 attendees from over 170 countries have been onsite at the RAI to see over 1000+ exhibitors showcasing innovation and cutting-edge technology.”

TimFitzgeraldTC
    Participant

For those looking to use Eurostar to come back to avoid the security issues at AMS, the train terminal has a finite capacity at Centraal so might show as sold out. If you want to hop on a 40 minute local train to Rotterdam you might be able to pick up from there. We had 7 people do this yesterday who were at IBC (leave enough time to check in at Rotterdam depending no class of service).

2 users thanked author for this post.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

Chris Deas was another IBC delegate. He was returning to the UK with EZY.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 49 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls