One for the girls!

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)

• Anonymous

Papillion53
    Participant

Hi Beckyboop

One for us girls this afternoon with the first Gold medal for Team GB won by the rowing Girls! 😉 🙂

Well done Heather Stanning and Helen Glover!

Edited to add: and just as I posted Bradley Wiggins has just won gold!

VintageKrug
    Participant

It’s good to see Great Britain and the Former Colonies are Number One in the medal rankings!

Bucksnet
    Participant

I didn’t realise that China was a former colony?

Tim2soza
    Participant

We leased Hong Kong; does that count? We didn’t quite conquer the rest of China, but the Jockey Club did suffice. I saw that Cracker / Harry Potter chap in the BA lounge in HK once. We ‘shared’ a bottle of Scotch. I enjoyed my wee dram but his measures were seriously full on.

Well done the ladies. Excellent documentary on them last week on the BBC.

IanFromHKG
    Participant

Tim2sms – no, not really, since Hong Kong has its own separate teams in the Olympics (and most other sporting events), so the China team excludes HK (and Taiwan – er, I mean “Chinese Taipei”). And we only leased the New Territories (hence the name) – Hong Kong, Kowloon and most of the islands were, much earlier, “ceded in perpetuity” so theoretically we didn’t have to give them back (not that it would have been easy to sustain the ceded territory on its own!)

As of this morning, I see only one former colony in the top ten rankings for gold, and Team GB is just outside at number 11. Even the Undemocratic Leader’s Republic of Korea is ahead of them. And Kazakhstan.

Incidentally, anyone who wants a bit of a laugh or fancies themselves as a sportsman/woman or athlete should try this: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-19050139. Apparently I am just like a Venezuelan beach volleyball player (men’s beach volleyball, I hasten to add), although I am sure my wife would disagree!! And if any of you are like Artem Udachyn, Ukrainian weightlifter, I don’t want to know!!

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Well done girls.

dubtraveller
    Participant

Ian,
    Thanks for providing that BBC link, which provides some light relief in an otherwise uninspiring and frankly tedious afternoon here in the US office..Got a shock when it said that I was most like ‘Tomohiko Hoshima’, a Philippine Judo star, a fairly formidable sight (but perhaps not the best way looks wise…)!! Then, I realised I had mixed metric and imperial, re-input and now internet explorer keeps giving me scripting errors..argh! The suspense is killing me..although I suspect that I may yet turn into aforementioned Artem Udachyn!

BeckyBoop
    Participant

GIRL POWER!!! Ennis, Pendleton LOL :O) Luv it !!! I must say i though the Olympics was a waste until i got in to the vibe, sorry for a late response have only just seen this thanks Paillion xxx

Papillion53
    Participant

Know exactly what you mean – wasn’t that interested till I started watching the Eventing last week … Fabulous setting at Greenwich.

But what about the ladies boxing? Didn’t even know they did that!

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Another gold girls. Charlotte Dujardin for individual dressage.

now 50 medals in total, and like you both, I was skeptical about the games but now we’re winning heaps am really into it!

Papillion53
    Participant

Stunning dressage! Amazing horse and Charlotte was incredible. Had a tear in my eye – just magical and what a setting!

LuganoPirate
    Participant

As to ladies boxing Papillion, it is alive and well and practiced with regularity by Mrs. LP on me! Only to settle arguments I should add and, with haste, never in anger. Sheepishly I have to admit to always losing!!!

In answer to another thread, I was not presuming but thought you fessed we were of the same vintage on yet another thread which I can no longer recall – dying brain cells 😉

However, a man is as young as he feels and as both I and your hubby have in common that we share younger wives (11 years in my case) I guess we” feel” a lot younger most of the time ;-)))

BeckyBoop
    Participant

Mrs LP… you should take up a boxercise at your local gym 😉 xx

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Don’t give her ideas Becky. She reads this forum as well! xx

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls