Oman Air B737-800 Business

Back to Forum
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

• Anonymous

FivestarFred
    Participant

I flew from CMB to MCT today. I connected airside from the CX HKG-SIN-CMB flight, staying overnight at the airside transit hotel. My bags were interlined with WY by CX staff from Sydney and my WY boarding pass was brought to me in the lounge by the ground agent even though I had checked in online and printed off a pass (that is not accepted for boarding apparently).

This was my first time on Oman Air. I was very inpressed. The service was excellent. I was the only passenger in business so maybe that skews things a bit. I was served by 4 different cabin crew during the 4hr flight!

I have never before been offered a choice of hot and cold towels! Small thing but that pleased me immensely. Breakfast menu was extensive…four options for “main” plus fruit, cereal and rolls.

Yes the entertainment was overhead and one film shown but I wasn’t bothered. Seat was fine (avoid row 1 if very tall like me)

Upon landing we were at a remote stand and the crew held back economy pax and I was handed a fast track immigration card. I then went into the waiting huge bus and was whisked away to the terminal all by myself! I was pretty stoked. Fast track was great as there were huge queues for normal immigration and nobody in the fast track lanes.

One small annoyance is contacting customer service. I had read that limo service was available to business class but you have to be in the correct booking class and there’s no option when booking online and I ended up with the wrong one and emails to them were unanswered when I tried to change it (I found out my error when trying to arrange the limo transfer – they replied to that email!).

Looking forward to my onward journey on the A330 though I fear the service might be less personal given it’s likely to be a full flight. Been spoilt on my first flight already. Well done Oman Air but reply to all emails!

FivestarFred
    Participant

MCT-LHR A330-300 business

WOW! That’s the summary!

I’ll start with the negatives though. Having been told at check-in by two different staff members that the aircraft was downgauged to a 2 class A330-200 it ended up being a 3 class aircraft! I couldn’t believe it when I boarded. How could they get it so wrong… Some of the meal options ran out by the time the got to my row (4th out of 5 biz rows) Seat next to me didn’t recline so luckily the passenger could move to another seat.

Other stuff: there was onboard wifi but obviously not free and I didn’t try it out. The biz champagne I saw being served was not as stated in the menu but the previous one (they had simply covered the old name on the menu with a sticker).

Muscat Airport has no airbridges so everyone boards by bus, biz pax get separate bus. This time I had to share my bus! 😉

Best bits: Food taste and presentation fantastic! Huge proper plates. The seat is amazing for biz…long and comfortable. Better than CX and def better than QF. I really cannot see how their F (WY) could improve on this biz seat. IFE great. Not as many movie choices as EK but adequate. Storage bins along the side…never seen this on single deck aircraft. Good as there’s no overhead bins in the middle (makes cabin look more spacious) so middle pax use side overhead bins. Service, after a shaky start was amazing. 18/20 biz seats occupied.

Double miles for flying biz (triple miles in F!)

As an aside, seven armed police boarded the aircraft when we landed at Heathrow. A passenger had assaulted a crew member. F/J pax were given fast track passes but that was a joke. Landed at 6pm. Took forever (okay 20mins) to go through passport control. Should have just joined the normal queue. At least bags were out by the time I got to the belts.

Great experience though and I’ll fly them again. Price was fantastic ex CMB. Seat is the biggest draw card.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Thanks for this. I’ve been reading quite a bit about them recently but its useful to get a real life revue from someone. First opportunity I’ll give them a try.

thebigseats
    Participant

I have completed 6 x sectors in J class with WY in the last 6 months. In summary – excellent long-haul J seat & usual (US-stylee) J short-haul seats. Long-haul is same design as the last incarnation of the Gulf Air F seat. Full-flat & vary spacious. Transit at MCT is easy as. Lounge there is spacious & quiet. Free-pour Lanson Champagne plus a couple of reds & whites & the usual spirits/beers. Food is buffet but soup/salad/sarnies & several hot mains available. Usual cake and sweets too. Decent.

J champagne on board is currently Cattier Brut – OK, not too bad. Food presentation is to F standard with proper plates, big glasses etc – all good.

Tried to credit flights to EY – nightmare.

Very nice overall but the mileage credit hassles & very limited network will drive me to CX……

biarritzsurf9
    Participant

I flew the A333 WY101 service from Muscat to London Heathrow yesterday. Seat is excellent, service excellent and food quality on par with Qantas First. Wine selection top tier and excellent reds. Well done Oman Air.

Gold-2K
    Participant

I flew Maldives to LHR via Muscat in October. BA transferred us after our BA flight went technical. 737 from Male to Muscat was fine. Good for a short haul business flight though a little worried that it was “dry”. Lounge in Muscat was fantastic. Definitely not “dry” with an excellent selection of hot and cold food. Staff in lounge incredibly attentive. Biz class seat on A330 to LHR was outstanding. Food , drink and service all faultless. It would measure up well against first class in the majority of airlines. This is by far the best biz class I have flown.

Dear BA, please feel free to transfer me to Oman air any time you want 🙂

FivestarFred
    Participant

Biarritzsurf…we must have been on the same flight!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls