Obtaining a visa for Azerbaijan

Back to Forum
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

• Anonymous

Cedric_Statherby
    Participant

Good evening all

Does anyone know if it is possible for a UK citizen to obtain an entry visa for Azerbaijan on arrival at Baku? I have been quoted a 4 week turn-round for going through the London Embassy (and that includes an “interview”) – and there is no 4-week window when i can gaily say goodbye to my passport.

What experiences do other travellers have?

Many thanks

travelworld
    Participant

I always have obtained a visa on arrival without difficulty, but that has been for tourist visits (yes, people do go there for hoildays!). Given the karge numbers of UK citizers travelling there for the oil industry I’m surprised at a four week delay, but can’t comment on present UK/Azeri relations. If we’ve upset them this might be a reprisal.

travelworld
    Participant

PS.

If it is indeed the case that there is a four week delay, you should be able to get a second UK passport if you need to travel outside the UK on business in that four week period- see earlier threads on this forum for what to do.

SimonRowberry
    Participant

Hi Cedric,

I have obtained business visas on arrival at Baku twice in the last couple of years. The key thing is to make sure that you have the original of the letter of invitation and also have the visa fee in cash.

The whole process took about 45 minutes, if it remember rightly. It is important to get out the plane as quickly as possible to get to the front of the queue.

Also, make sure you have a pen. If I remember correctly, the forms were slightly different from the ones you fill in if applying by post, so (and again, my memory may be playing tricks) I don’t think you can save time by bringing one of those pre-completed.

Both times I was working for one of the Ministries, so that may have ensured that my invitation was kosher (it was signed by the Minister), but having said that I didn’t see anyone else around me having apparent problems with their paperwork.

I hope this helps.

On the subject of hotels in Baku (if this info is any use to you). They are extremely expensive. I’ve used the Radisson SAS Plaza, which is all-suite, gloomy and over-heated, and the Hyatt Regency, which was superb.

Good luck and safe travels. Simon

Cedric_Statherby
    Participant

Thank you both for your advice. Most grateful. The second passport is the obvious trick – I have one but my travelling partner does not so I will encourage him to get one.

VintageKrug
    Participant

This might be of use; a 30% discount on passport and visa services:

http://uk.visacentral.com/british-airways.php

Age_of_Reason
    Participant

The advice is right. Visa on entry is usual in Baku, and you need $30 cash, a photo and your own pen. In the ‘hall’ you go straight to the passport stamping official ignoring the visa issuing place, get your entry stamp on a blank page and then go back to the visa issuer. They will ink stamp a whole-page visa onto the entrystamp.

It’s a lovely place, Baku. Walk in the Old City and don’t miss the JazzClub on a friday night.

SimonRowberry
    Participant

Hi AoR
    I don’t think you can do what you suggest any longer. On my last visit they have scrapped inked visas and now have printed ones that they stick in your passport. Also, you will not get an entry stamp without a visa. Period. My last business visa fee was something like €100. I agree with your comments on Baku 100%.
    Hope that helps.
    Simon

Age_of_Reason
    Participant

Ooops.. Thanks for the update. That’s progress, I suppose, I admit i’m at least 2y away from the last visit. Hope the economic success for the people has not spoilt the charm.

Age_of_Reason
    Participant

cont…. And the only other advice I can offer is to go in to Baku on Azal from DXB, or Turk from IST (cost-effective too). You’ll find a much lower proportion of the travellers requiring visas.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

Cedric

Take a look at this

http://azerbaijan24.com/azerbaijan-visa-support.html

Presume it is up to date.

SimonRowberry
    Participant

Bugger. That makes it a bit more complicated, doesn’t it? Be interesting to know what constitutes “official government business.” And what constitutes “being allowed in without a visa.”

I would also add that it is NOT advisable to travel to Azerbaijan on business and try to get away with a tourist visa.

I may go later this year again. If I do, it will be to do some work for the Ministry of Culture and Tourism. The Ministry who issue the visas. I would be on “official government business” I presume. Do I therefore need one? Answers on a postcard to……

Simon

Cedric_Statherby
    Participant

MartynSnclair

Thank you very much – a great website to find and you have saved me what would probably be a wasted trip!

Actually it is even worse – I have contacted the Azeri Embassy in UK and they require personal applications by appointment (ie they do not allow submissions by an agent). This is apparently so they can fingerprint you. They are quoting appointment times after Easter …

I suspect this is tit for tat for tightened rules for people trying to get a visa to enter the UK. Something the clowns at the Foreign Office never ever consider.

Oh well. It looks like it’s going to have to be a video-conference call. At least that will help save the planet, the polar bears and my sanity.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls