Obnoxious kids in Business Class

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 121 through 135 (of 385 total)

• JordanD
    Participant

Actually chinaboy8 – passengers in any cabin should not have to put up with disruptive behaviour.

As I recently recounted at the Forum meet up, I regularly travel “down the back”, and whilst I fully accept (in any class) that there may be crying babies or hyper-active children, what I can’t tolerate is willfully disruptive children, who are travelling with their parent(s) who behaviour horrendously – kicking/pushing the back of your seat for 2hrs is firmly in this list – and whose parents do not discipline them telling them to stop.

Not only is this showing how badly behaved the children are, it is showing the lack of respect paying passengers have for one another. And that’s the same respect I ‘expect’ regardless of whether I pay £50, £500 or £5000 for my ticket.

RalphMcDonald
    Participant

why is it that most parents except everybody else around them to love children, especially their own offspring? There is a lot of truth in the expression “children should be seen and not heard!” And that particularly applies to flights!

Signed

Mr Grumps

searider283
    Participant

I am only in my twenties and have flown countless times in business and first since I was sixteen, in practically every single route I have flown in, the problem was not me or the teenager, but the drunk business men, requesting more alcohol boisterously, or making passes at the cabin crew. Failing that there are usually of young men and women who travel together and have this idea that just because they sit in half the cabin, think that it is there’s to do as they please.

Secondly why is this issue only applicable to passengers in business and first, since the arguments mentioned above should applicable to all cabins or none.

RalphMcDonald
    Participant

Searider has valid points here. Actually worse than children will be business men on mobile phones once that cheap nonsense is allowed on flights! and the thought of drunken business men on phones – yuk!

robsmith100
    Participant

Searider – Good post , this backs up my original coment back in July on this topic
    “Regardless of which class of cabin people fly all passengers should observe sensible etiquette and take responsibility for their actions and those of their minors”

npchuaMY
    Participant

On Sep 10, Thai Airways, BKK-KUL, C-class. The flight was one-third full, two passengers in their 30s sitting two rows behind me, they talk loud, laugh loud and sing loud all the way from BKK to KUL.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

npchuaMY – I hope you joined in with a good rendition of RULE BRITANNIA!

Bjh1234
    Participant

Have read much of this with interest. Does it mean that it is OK to let ‘obnovious kids’ run riot in Economy, and that it is Ok for drunken businessmen and pushy mothers to annoy fellow passengers there as well, so long as C and F are quiet. Surely we should consider others whatever class we are travelling.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Have to agree with you on that point BarryHodge.

SimonRowberry
    Participant

You’ve hit the nail on the head, Barry.

Simon

PatJordan
    Participant

Well said, Barry.

If others had this attitude, the world might just be a better place.

Airtravel104
    Participant

Perhaps the issue of disturbance on an airplane can be approached from another angle. Traveling is stressful and some people choose to spend a little more not for the free booze or overly jolly cabin attendants but because they want the old fashioned concept of space and quiet. I have often wondered what it is that certain airlines cannot understand and make a quiet class. That is, everyone respects an atmosphere of calm and quiet, including the cabin attendants, passengers of any age. Northwest, now defunct, had excellent food, a wonderful service from JFK to Narita, and some lovely cabin attendants, but toward its demise it became no longer competitive with Singapore Airlines or Cathay Pacific because some of their cabin attendants could not shut up for a second. It is our first Amendment run amok, forgetting that calm passengers are easier to deal with. KLM’s staff, before Air France took over, were for many decades friendly, unobtrusive and efficient. However, they don’t always know what to do when businessmen of no particular importance talk too loud on the cellphone right after boarding, or run off their mouths with other businessmen, drinking too much without the ability to hold liquor.
    On the acela from NYC to Washington, DC there is always a quiet car because too many congress members asked for it, and the quiet is such a luxury. It made you feel human again. Even there however, some couples insist on chatting, about nothing.
    As to the issue of children versus adults being the cause of noise and space disturbance, if quiet is the factor, then no one ought to be offended. It would be a question of choice instead of liberty. People who are quiet ought to choose to be without others who are quiet. What’s wrong with that?

FlyingChinaman
    Participant

Dinosaur: spot-on!

Don’t we all would like to travel in peace and quite in all forms of transport and and in any class?

Noise distubance caused by adults or children is not welcomed by any travellers in any situation.

The rolling out of the in-flight connectivity has caused concern by many passengers for the fear of increased noise level in the cabin by mobile phone users in-flight and many airlines have assured the passengers that they have a way of switching that service off when warranted.

May be in it’s time for us travellers to avocate to the airlines of establishing a clearer policy on how to handle such situation by their cabin crew. This policy should starting off with a self imposed “softer” conversation by their cabin crew while talking in their galley during the quite period where passengers are resting.

I believe SAS once had a sleeping zone for passengers who would like a quiet area with no distubance but may be not viable commercially.

Wish you all have a “peace and quite” travel experience!!!!!!!!!!!!

RHMAngel
    Participant

Sorry to add to this again, is there are thread for screaming babies (ie. infants under 2yrs old) in business class ?!

While I say ‘Amen to Barry’ & FlyingChinaMan – re: peace & quiet.

Yet again I had the misfortune to be in biz class where Virgin yet again puts a mother with ~18month smack bang in the middle of a the cabin, not at the front, or back…no in the middle… and said child cries continuously nearly 2hrs…

OK, so debate: mother paid the fare…so have the rest of us. Is it too much to ask at that £$£$ price a biz ticket costs now, to have Biz & First designated as “QUIET Cabins”..

While you can remonstrate adults and kids – and no doubt soon to be inflight connectivity for mobiles (why for heavens sake….) will it be like a train, where disgust can be voiced ?!

“Not only is this showing how badly behaved the children are, it is showing the lack of respect paying passengers have for one another. And that’s the same respect I ‘expect’ regardless of whether I pay £50, £500 or £5000 for my ticket.”

What can be done about babies, without looking like a unsocialable orge complaining (move to another carriage in a train). Bury your head in headphones – turn volume up loud, wish they’d start the inflight entertainment…try to go to sleep… how do you get respect from babies who are oblivious to the misery they’re contributing to in the entire biz cabin ?!

Yes, I’ve had screaming kids in duet, in Economy on a vacation flight, you hate it, but kind of accept it…but Biz class ?! Come on guys…put some policy in place, or at least apologise to full fare paying passengers…rather than shrug your shoulders and ignore the wailing, like the rest of us are trying to do.

OK rant over… and yes I DO like young kids outside an aircraft, just not screaming crying ones on expensive biz class flights :-((

Obnoxious kid or adult over a endlessly crying one…any day.

This is the THIRD time its happened, and my patience is wearing thin…excuse me fellow travellers, rant over. Happy quiet travelling everyone 😉

Age_of_Reason
    Participant

This is becoming cyclic. I suppose this site is just a ‘punchbag’ for stress relief of stressed-out jetlaggers.

Maybe you should travel Turkish, where curent ads would suggest you can expect football training to be conducted in the Business cabin, and only the goalkeeper’s skills come between your drink and the errant ball.

It all comes down to the quality of the Crew. And personal example.

Has it occurred to the Angel that 3 in a row is long odds for a losing streak – maybe he’s scaring the babies?

Viewing 15 posts - 121 through 135 (of 385 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls