NYE at the South Pole in a Qantas A380

Back to Forum
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

• Anonymous

VintageKrug
    Participant

On NYE, a Qantas A380 will operate a sightseeing flight to Antarctica, the first commercial flight by an A380 over the South Polar Region.

It is being organised by Melbourne based Antarctica Sightseeing Flights. It will originate in SYD and fly via MEL.

Passengers will be over the ice by Midnight,and be the first to see the dawn of the New Year.

Figure of eight patters will be flown over the polar terrain for up to four hours before returning to MEL then SYD.

This has in the past been offered using a chartered 747, but this will be the first such A380 flight.

Prices range from A$999 for economy to A$6299 for First Class.

It is not yet known whether fruitcake will be served on board.

http://www.antarcticaflights.com.au/index.html

JonathanCohen09
    Participant

Hello everyone,

VK, I really like a person who can make fun of, or not take themselves too seriously. Thank you for my first laugh out loud moment of the week.

Binman62
    Participant

Given the operational record Qantas have with this aircraft, you have to wonder on what date they will get to see the dawn. (or which passengers are going to be downgraded to a 747 to LHR or LAX to allow this flight?)
    Delayed ex LHR again today
    http://www.businesstraveller.com/discussion/topic/Qantas-A380……..what-really-is-wrong-with-it.

Hess963
    Participant

Hey VK !

I really often asks myself where do you get such infos and the time to find them? Really thinking, if you have time to work to earn your living or rich enough to spare your time to find such things.

And then you come with such sentences–which believe or not really made me laugh. I do not want to copy Jonathan here–but I was amazed that you are capable of laughing over yourself from time to time. So you are as human as we are then or not ?

Coming back to the topic–does it really worth it ? I mean four hours flying around just to see the dawn of the first day of the year? I do really think that the A380 is better used to the more needable route and function then such ….what ..trip ?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls