NYC-SFO, business class, June 2015 – advice needed

Back to Forum
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

• Anonymous

Moadweeb
    Participant

Gents,

I need your inputs on a Flight I need to book for my family and I who are traveling from NYC ( any Airport will do ) to SFO.

The date of Departure can be 29/30-June, 2015 ( 1 way only )..

Ideally, I would like to Fly Business Class ( First Class As Per US Lingo)..

I have researched United Airlines/Virgin America / American Airlines.. All the airlines range between $ 800-1000 per Pax in Business Class..

The Question ;

1. Is this the best price I am going to get or do I wait for a Sale ?

2. By the looks of It, Virgin America Seems to offer the newest Aircraft and the Best business Class seats..

3. Which Airline offers the Best IFE and Seating Comfort amongst the 3 ? Is there any other Airline I should be looking at ?

I have no experience of flying within the US on Domestic Airlines hence these questions..Any inputs would be much appreciated..

Cheers,
    Moadweeb

nmh1204
    Participant

AA have their a321T on this route with both first and business, both with full flat beds http://www.aa.com/i18n/aboutUs/ourPlanes/airbus321t.jsp?anchorLocation=DirectURL&title=a321t

ZKSmith
    Participant

Regarding price, I can’t help you.
    Regarding Virgin America, yes they have the best regular ‘first class’ service. However, I would disregard them as American, Delta, and United (ex JFK only) all offer lie flat seats on this route, with good personal IFE systems. They all use the same seats on their 757s, with 2×2 arrangement. You won’t find any huge differences between these three carriers on this route.

PatJordan
    Participant

Moadweeb,

one thing to bear in mind is that some US airlines only grant lounge access to pax on international flights.

I remember having a first class ticket on Continental (EWR – MCO), having elite status in their FFP and the lounge dragon taking delight in refusing me access to the Continental Lounge. A supervisor was called, and only granted me access on foot of my Gold Status in BMI’s Diamond Club.

Check before you book, and check the small print!!

AMcWhirter
    Participant

Here are some Tried and Tested using AA which we published in April 2014. They relate to flights on AA’s A321 between NYC and LAX and return. But the same product also operates between NYC and SFO.

American Airlines first class

http://www.businesstraveller.com/tried-and-tested/airlines/american-airlines/american-airlines-a321-first-class-2

American Airlines business class

http://www.businesstraveller.asia/archive/2014/may-2014/tried-and-tested/american-airlines-a321-business-class

TimFitzgeraldTC
    Participant

United will feature fully flat beds from JFK (not EWR). Effectively same as there international business class product for hard product.

Bath_VIP
    Participant

You should also look at JetBlue. They have a very good business class product that is supposed to undercut most of the others.

ExecPlatAA
    Participant

I would choose AA. Their Business class on the JFK-SF (and LAX) is fantastic – full flat seats, superb IFE screens and meals/wines etc on this route. Transcon flights are also eligible for lounge access.

seasonedtraveller
    Participant

Slightly off topic but I took the AA flight from ORD to SFO today in First and it was lousy.
    Awful seats on an ageing 734.
    By way of contrast a recent BOS to PHX in first with AA was excellent.
    An oddity though is the BA tier points….
    today’s flight ORD to SFO =60 TP
    BOS to PHX (similar cost) =210 TP……70 tp’s more than a transatlantic flight LHR to LAX??
    Bemused.

first_class_please
    Participant

Is it maybe cheaper to get a through ticket to SFO with your stop in NYC? not sure your starting point, but if London then BA/AA, UA and Delta would offer through flights.

SeaonedTraveller – if your domestic flight is longer than 2,000 miles then you get international tier points of 140 business and 210 first.

If you need the points, a London – SFO via NYC is same as two longhaul flights (which they are effectively as same flight duration)

Falcon7x
    Participant

I took the JFK-LAX AA A321T twice last year in J and it was superb. Dare I say it was better than some airline’s international business product…

I am actually choosing to fly SFO-NYC-LHR to enjoy the AA A321T and B773 rather than direct with a BA B744 in a couple of weeks.

For me, there is only one winner.

GoonerLondon
    Participant

Coincidently a review was published on the United EWR-SFO option: http://www.businesstraveller.com/asia-pacific/archive/2015/january-february-2015/tried-and-tested/united-airlines-b757-200-united-business-first

Seats look very similar to the AA transcon J others have mentioned

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls