Number of Toilets per seat?

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 30 total)

• pheighdough
    Participant

The BA 747 fleet has a toilet in the flight deck, only accessible from the flight deck, hence the BA 747’s are know as the en-suite fleet!

2 users thanked author for this post.

AircraftLover
    Participant

Each airline get to decide how many toilets they need on any aircraft type in order to meet its service standards
    The toilet size and the appliances finishes are also optional

https://www.galaerospace.com/sinks-aircraft.html

Otte
    Participant

Flying LH A321 with only two bathrooms in Economy is torture…on their 4 hours flight segments( Middke East mostly)the line is constant,disturbing passengers and crew.I saw for the first time on SN’s A320 the back galley has one toilet in it,so food and toilet ‘live ‘very close by….didn’t look very hygienic,plus the poor flight attendants don’t have any way to close the curtain for some privacy…all that is ofcourse to squeeze in more seats …understood,but stretching it a bit too far.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

[quote quote=953446]Flying LH A321 with only two bathrooms in Economy is torture[/quote]

I wonder if this was the Airbus Space-Flex where there are two toilets at the rear of the aircraft along with the galley.

But those two toilets are tiny.

https://services.airbus.com/en/in-flight-experience/cabin-upgrades/optimisation/space-flex.html

AircraftLover
    Participant

Tiny aircraft toilets are a big concern for all passengers, but especially for pregnant women, elders and passengers with disabilities

cwoodward
    Participant

Urinal + Turbulence = Oh dear !

1 user thanked author for this post.

MarcusGB
    Participant

Was it not Silverjet ex Luton, that started a “Ladies only” toilet?!
    I suppose Aircraft toilets could be described as Gender Neutral, though there are some very clever fun toilet sign versions BT Forum readers may well smile at…?

102 Of The Most Creative Bathroom Signs Ever

alanred13
    Participant

[quote quote=953395]The BA 747 fleet has a toilet in the flight deck, only accessible from the flight deck, hence the BA 747’s are know as the en-suite fleet![/quote]

Are you sure about this. As one of the few times I’ve seen a Pilot come out for the loo was upstairs on a BA 747 (maybe theirs was out of order?)

1 user thanked author for this post.

cwoodward
    Participant

Yes.
    At least on some variants but on earlier models I believe not.

‘Captain rest cabin
    One of the chief advantages of the 747-8 I, according to Boeing chief pilot Mark Feuerstein, is that there is a bathroom and rest quarters behind the flight deck door. This means that pilots will not need to open the door to the cockpit in order to go to the rest room, something that should increase security and allow pilots to not have to wait until service is finished before getting up.’

2 users thanked author for this post.

IanFromHKG
    Participant

There are certainly many flights I have been on where the queue for the toilets has become uncomfortable – probably my own fault in some cases for waiting until the last minute before I go in order to minimise trips, but also due in many cases to a total lack of consideration by fellow pax. I would love to see a system where after a fixed amount of time from locking the door a warning bell/sign operates inside the toilet asking the occupant to hurry up (what do readers think – two minutes? three? – and thereafter at one-minute intervals).

I would also like to see (if such a system isn’t in place already) that whenever seatbelt signs are on for turbulence, flight crew have to reset them every five minutes. I have been on flights where the seatbelt signs have been on for what seems like forever, have asked cabin crew to check, and “hey presto” the signs are turned off and we are finally relieved (pun intended) from our torture.

If anyone is in a toilet for more than (say) ten minutes then a warning bell should sound in the crew area. I say this not only because it would help to relieve congestion but because it may alert flight crew to someone who is possibly ill (and let’s face it, people feeling unwell often head to the toilet), or worse. Last year a very, very dear friend of ours died in a toilet on a QANTAS flight. Flight crew were only alerted when the passenger in the neighbouring seat became alarmed at how long she had been away. The crew tried to resuscitate her, but too late. She was in her early forties, a single (divorced) mum, with a teenage son, no obvious health problems, and one of the most vibrant, funny and vivacious people I have ever met. We miss her dreadfully, talk to her family every week, and to think she could (possibly) have been saved….

RHMAngel
    Participant

would love to see a system where after a fixed amount of time from locking the door a warning bell/sign operates inside the toilet asking the occupant to hurry up (what do readers think – two minutes? three? – and thereafter at one-minute intervals)”

Reminds me of a story that made the media last year I think … chap had been in the toilet 15 minutes (!) so eventually the crew opened the door to the man and his pants around his ankles … he pulled the race card (subcontinent Asian) in being hauled out as I recall.

Then claimed stomach issues. Yuk to anyone following him.

No you were yanked out a) on pure selfishness (it was economy/coach) b) queue of other PAX and c) the crew had a duty of care to check – though why they left it 15 minutes lord knows for economy where I feel the ratio of pax seats to toilets is just shocking these days …

Premium and business are fortunately marginally better …

The pile them high is the mantra never mind the paying pax… and yes I too have noticed toilets being taken out in refurbs …

The breakfast rush is life bug bear so perhaps mirrors in the galley for freshening up (after food cupboards are locked away safely) might be a good multi-use of limited space…

Crawford
    Participant

The bigger surely is the time people actually spend there ! Hours occasionally!

IanFromHKG
    Participant

[quote quote=954277]The breakfast rush is life bug bear so perhaps mirrors in the galley for freshening up (after food cupboards are locked away safely) might be a good multi-use of limited space…[/quote]

I seem to recall on one LH airline (maybe CX?) that there were shaving points and mirrors outside the toilets, presumably for just that reason.

capetonianm
    Participant

I suspect that most people would not wish to carry out their grooming routines in the public eye with people standing behind them in a queue, flight attendants trying to get past, and so on. I know I wouldn’t. That is why small closed cubicles, which being standing room only, would occupy less than half the space of a lavatory, would be a better solution.

Jacob
    Participant

[quote quote=954587]

The breakfast rush is life bug bear so perhaps mirrors in the galley for freshening up (after food cupboards are locked away safely) might be a good multi-use of limited space…

I seem to recall on one LH airline (maybe CX?) that there were shaving points and mirrors outside the toilets, presumably for just that reason.[/quote]

That was years ago on Qantas 747 flights in the 80’s

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 30 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls