Number of Toilets per seat?

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 30 total)

• AFlyingDutchman
    Participant

Not sure if this issue has ever been discussed, but a recent flight had me wondering about whether there is a regulation of the minimum number of toilets per seats on an aircraft. Having looked at BA’s seat maps (I think I have too much time on my hands today) the number of toilets vary amazingly by aircraft type. Just using Long Haul the following is what I have noticed rounding the numbers:

318, 32 seats, 3 Toilets, 11 pax per toilet (Business Only)
    788, 214 seats, 6 Toliets, 36 pax per toilet (3 Class)
    789, 216 seats, 8 toilets, 27 pax per toilet (4 Class)
    777, 224 seats, 10 toilets, 22 pax per toilet (4 Class)
    777, 275 seats, 11 toilets, 25 pax per toilet (3 Class, LHR routes)
    777, 226 seats, 9 toilets, 37 pax per toilet (3 Class, LGW routes)
    77W, 299 seats, 11 toilets, 27 pax per toilet (4 Class)
    747, 275 seats, 12 toilets, 23 pax per toilet (4 Class)
    747, 299 seats, 13 toilets, 23 pax per toilet (4 Class)
    747, 345 seats, 13 toilets, 27 pax per toilet (4 Class)
    351, 331 seats, 9 toilets, 37 pax per toilet (3 Class)
    380, 469 seats, 17 toilets, 28 pax per toilet (4 Class)

There just doesn’t seem to be any set standard, and goodness help you if you have a weak bladder flying out of Gatwick, but likewise, on the brand new A350, least toilets per pax as well. Just seems odd to me there doesn’t seem to be any kind of consistency.

canucklad
    Participant

[quote quote=953233]I think I have too much time on my hands today)[/quote]

Hi AFlyingDutchman —- Check out AC’s 777’s numbers and wait to be shocked !!

2 users thanked author for this post.

AFlyingDutchman
    Participant

[quote quote=953241]Hi AFlyingDutchman —- Check out AC’s 777’s numbers and wait to be shocked !![/quote]

Oh My!!!

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Interesting.
    If you have more time on your hands AFlying Dutchman, it would be interesting to see how many toilets per pax in the various classes.
    I know Lufthansa on the 747 has 2 for first class, and Swiss on the 330/340 has just 1. Each having 8 seats. I’ve never counted those in Business let alone Economy.

As long as everyone doesn’t have to go at the same time, I guess it’s OK, and I’d imagine it’s been researched by the airlines, but then again???

esselle
    Participant

BA only have 1 loo in F on their 787, and you have to squeeze through the galley to reach it. Sub optimal, but hey.

MarcusGB
    Participant

Intriguing topic!
    BOB – has a new meaning = Bog On Board!

Etihad’s First Class i took often AUH – SYD a good 15 hrs #sector, A380 had one large toilet upstairs in the nose, and a shower bathroom toilet also. The residence at the front had its own.

We forget when many Airlines pack in another row across on 777’s, 40_+ seats, this divides the facilities down more. Some also had a toilet taken out to facilitate this further!

1 user thanked author for this post.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

[quote quote=953245]Oh My!!![/quote]

Air Canada rosters its B777-300ERs for both shorter and longer transatlantic crossings.

They are also deployed on transpacific routes like Toronto to Tokyo which is a 13 hour non-stop sector.

Whilst the number of toilets on short routes within Europe may not have changed the size of the toilets has.

Some airlines with newer A320s have opted for what Airbus calls ‘Space-Flex’ configuration where both the galley and the toilets take up less space. Airbus tells its airline customers that Space-Flex means it [its airline customer] can either use the extra room to install up to six more seats or to provide more passenger space.

See here:

https://services.airbus.com/en/in-flight-experience/cabin-upgrades/optimisation/space-flex.html

PointyMark
    Participant

SQ have 2 toilets for 6 Suites on upper deck of new A380s. But I actually had to wait 20 seconds to use one earlier this month! It turned out I was delayed by crew cleaning a toilet for the next passenger (me). This isn’t an issue one would encounter on BA, because they don’t ever seem to clean or tidy up the toilets!

Ekond222
    Participant

…I tend to find upon entering the washroom facilities on an aircraft…one seat with a toilet beneath it…

2 users thanked author for this post.

Inquisitive
    Participant

SQ is my favourite airlines and one of the main reason is that the toilets are kept clean. The crew clean the economy toilets as well.

This is a very interesting topic. I believe there shall be some regulation on this. I have seen toilet break down and closed during a long haul both in SQ and UA.
    No issue with SQ as they have higher numbers of toilets but in UA there was long queue.

Only advantage on this subject is that body gets dehydrated during air travel so need for toilet is not that much.

This is also a major factor to cough up money for a business class in long haul in addition to sleeper seats.

capetonianm
    Participant

Perhaps breakfast time is not the best time to discuss toilets but ….

I have often wondered why airlines don’t provide cubicles with standing room for people who don’t need toilet facilities as such, but need to attend to shaving, make-up, grooming, etc. Being standing room only they would occupy roughly half the floor space of a toilet, and their provision would avoid the toilet cubicles being in use for longer than necessary.

5 users thanked author for this post.

cwoodward
    Participant

Cathay has 2 loos for 8 in first.
    3 for 28 in Business (A350 900) and 3 for 40 on most 777s.
    Average one loo for about 34 pax in economy cross the fleet.
    Cathay has no washrooms…… whatever they are !

AFlyingDutchman
    Participant

[quote quote=953337]Perhaps breakfast time is not the best time to discuss toilets but ….
    I have often wondered why airlines don’t provide cubicles with standing room for people who don’t need toilet facilities as such, but need to attend to shaving, make-up, grooming, etc. Being standing room only they would occupy roughly half the floor space of a toilet, and their provision would avoid the toilet cubicles being in use for longer than necessary.[/quote]

Fully agree, and would have suggested if a washroom (loo, toilet, etc.,) with simply a urinal would take up less space? I know LH has a urinal in the large WC’s on the A380 upper deck but in combo with a toilet so not really space saving. Could be an idea.

capetonianm
    Participant

I had considered the urinal only idea but (hopefully this is not more detail than needed) it should have a hand basin too which increases the space needed, and a man having a pee is a pretty quick process.

canucklad
    Participant

[quote quote=953345]nd a man having a pee is a pretty quick process.[/quote]

I’m actually surprised airlines that have aircraft deployed on predominately leisure routes don’t adopt a more pragmatic approach to this basic call of nature, particularly those airlines who want to sell us stuff whilst we are onboard .

Most of will have experienced the frustration caused by the needless lengthy delay in switching off the seatbelt sign to allow the cabin crew to organise their wares . Even more acutely aware of each passing minute if you’ve enjoyed a beverage or three before boarding.

There’s something about joining a queue of people , all of whom are contorting into various routines from Riverdance collectively hoping the person in front ain’t heading for a number 2 that brings us closer us human beings .

3 users thanked author for this post.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 30 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls