Norwich Airport

Back to Forum
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

• norbert2008
    Participant

Dear All

Why oh why can we not break the KLM hold over this airport. We have no option but to travel to Ams or Man (Loganair) for long haul fights. Please can some one like Flybe bring back Paris or Dublin. We are a vibrant area and we do travel. We are struggling with train connections to London.
    Why not LCY?
    If I win the lottery will do it with….Norbert Air.

Olneyflyer
    Participant

I think it simply down to good old economics. Airlines can attract better aircraft utilization and loads elsewhere. Otherwise someone else would have moved in by now.

Speedbird1994
    Participant

I have flown quite a bit from Norwich recently. I like it, nice, small, friendly airport with reasonable car parking costs. I resent having to pay the ridiculous Airport Development Fee, especially as I can’t see much sign of airport development, but hey ho. It is a shame though not to see it being used more widely. A flight from NWI to Frankfurt or Paris would be fantastic! I suppose the problem is that Stansted is (relatively speaking) only a short trip down the A11.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

That Airport Development Fee at Norwich is now £10. I should point out that this fee is in addition to APD and other taxes and fees.

openfly
    Participant

As with Newquay, it’s a rip off.

capetonianm
    Participant

If I lived in an area that had a small airport locally and if (big if!) I thought that by paying a development fee the airport could be expanded to attract more flights which would be useful to me, I’d happily pay that fee and not regard it as a rip-off. That said, I would expect some tangible return.

Counter to that, you have the Nimbys who want more flights as and when it suits them, but don’t want the noise and traffic. To that there is no answer.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

openfly – In fact Newquay airport scrapped the fee in 2016.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cornwall-35911882

Since then there has been a large increase in passenger numbers …

https://www.cornwallairportnewquay.com/press/press-releases/passenger-numbers-continue-to-soar-at-cornwall-airport-newquay

NTarrant
    Participant

I flew from MWI back in September, I doubt I would fly out of there again. Yes the car park was close to the terminal, but almost the same price as long stay at LHR. From East Cambridgeshire it took almost as long to drive there as it would to LHR with a good run.

It is certainly not worth the extra £10.00, I know this has been collected for many a year but I would have expected much better experience than I had.

There doesn’t seem to be anything to attract other airlines other than those that are already there.

openfly
    Participant

Thanks Alex…didn’t know. So it’s just Norwich that’s a rip off! ?

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Only used Norwich once, many years ago in the good old days when there were no ADF’s to pay and parking was free I seem to recall.
    Only solution if to boycott the airport until they remove the fee and hopefully if enough people do that they will lift it like Newquay did.
    I dislike these blatant ripoffs but the problem is once one gets the idea others quickly follow. Though luckily that does not seem to be the case yet?

canucklad
    Participant

Hi norbert2008, I know this might go against the grain, but I’d choose to celebrate KLM’s involvement with Norwich and Anglia as a whole.
    Going back in time, I remember flying Air Anglia between Schiphol and Edinburgh, and when that airline ran out of steam KLM invested and maintained a route that obviously pays dividends.

I wonder— if they remove the 310 charge would that entice O’Leary’s bandwagon into town ?

AMcWhirter
    Participant

openfly – Teeside is another UK airport with a development fee. But I am not aware of any others.

canucklad – As you say KLM has remained loyal to regional airports throughout the UK and the rest of Europe. I’ve often remarked that NWI-AMS is a logical route for KL as the distance is really short (far shorted than any of the London airports to AMS).

I imagine that KLM carries a lot of feeder 6th freedom traffic on the route.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls