Norwegian's tough winter

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 121 through 135 (of 181 total)

• transtraxman
    Participant

It seems that Norwegian´s intentions are in a state of flux. Just four days after the airline made the announcement about restarting transatlantic routes from London Gatwick to the USA only three days later it changes its tune. Now all those services are to be reduced.
    “Norwegian Air UK W20 US operation changes as of 16JUL20,” (Routes Online 17-7-20)

https://www.routesonline.com/news/38/airlineroute/292532/norwegian-air-uk-w20-us-operation-changes-as-of-16jul20/

Even if these reductions in services were not enough, at the end of the article is a very telling statement. “Additional changes remain likely.”
    It seems that there is less bravado and more common sense being applied.

canucklad
    Participant

[quote quote=1004104]It seems that there is less bravado and more common sense being applied.[/quote]

You’d have to have the bravado of Mad Max or the ruthlessness of Ming the Merciless to put your employees (crew) into such a recklessly chaotic environment.
    I switch on CNN and I hang my head in despair whenever I watch the reports and analysis from the whats happening across the pond.

The Norwegian decision should be welcomed, I’d have loved to see a total exclusion zone applied until “common sense” prevails.
    Selfishly because , whats happening in the US threatens our recovery and our ability to travel …

AMcWhirter
    Participant

Indeed canucklad, I heard on the radio this morning that there were 70,000 confirmed cases in the USA in one day yesterday … a record.

And there are reports today that Barcelona is facing a lockdown.

alainboy56
    Participant

@canucklad

Do you really watch CNN?
    How can you watch their unbiased and completely non partisan reporting.
    My Goodness – they almost make the BBC look fair and impartial.

canucklad
    Participant

[postquote quote=1004132][/postquote]

To answer to your question Alain , I tend to balance out my news intake
    Sky, BBC, CNN, Al Jazeera , and on the rare occasion RT and the Chinese channel .
    Online tend to occasionally browse The Vancouver Sun, SCMP and whatever local paper is impacted by a news story.

My philosophy was shaped years ago, when visiting a friends house, knowing his Dad was a fervent labour supporter , trade unionist and all round Bennite was surprised to see his newspaper of choice was, not The daily record,Mirror or Guardian , but the Express and Scottish Sun ….. When i chatted to him later in the pub about it,, he wryly smiled and said “no point reading what you already know, it’s much better keeping an eye on what the enemy is up to : ) !

5 users thanked author for this post.

transtraxman
    Participant

Are things changing in the cosy backwaters of Scandinavia?

“Norwegian Sees Credit Guarantee Rejected By Sweden”, (Simple Flying, 18 August 2020)

Norwegian Sees Credit Guarantee Rejected By Sweden

One would normally expect the Scandinavians to scratch each others` backs. However, the situation is changed. The Norwegian Government has reduced its shareholding in SAS to almost nothing while the Swedish and Danish Governments have maintained theirs. So these latter two have taken the burden of aiding SAS in which the Norwegian Government has not participated. It seems that the Swedes and Danish have said enough is enough. Let the Norwegians sort out their own messes.

Unless it can find alternative financing, which is a very delicate and improbable proposition considering its recent history and present situation, I would think that Norwegian has just found it that much more difficult to survive the winter.

jjlasne
    Participant

Not so sure. The Norwegian state can certainly support Norwegian Airlines on its own and make it the de facto “national” carrier.

transtraxman
    Participant

That is my point………………….

Are the Norwegian govt. and investors going to support the Norwegian airline as a de facto national carrier? And is the reaction of the Danes and Swedes soar grapes?

1 user thanked author for this post.

transtraxman
    Participant

Business Traveller`s own news item today says it all about more aid needed for Norwegian to survive the winter….
    “Norwegian warns state bailout “not enough to get through this prolonged crisis”.

Norwegian warns state bailout “not enough to get through this prolonged crisis”

……….but will the Norwegian Government “cough up” the money (or guarantees)? The airline is basically, after all, the national flag carrier of Norway with so many people on the brink of losing so much money.

“Norwegian Air warns aid to date ‘not enough’” (Travel Weekly, 28-8-20)

https://www.travelweekly.co.uk/articles/384329/norwegian-air-warns-aid-to-date-not-enough

transtraxman
    Participant

This article appeared yesterday (29-9-20) in Travel Weekly.
    “Nationalisation considered for struggling Norwegian Air.”

https://www.travelweekly.co.uk/articles/387526/nationalisation-considered-for-struggling-norwegian-air

So it seems that the Norwegian Government has decided to make Norwegian Air Shuttle its national flag carrier. The expected participation is not indicated nor even if the operation is open-ended. That means it will not be allowed to go bankrupt just like Air France, KLM, Lufthansa and Alitalia. So what does that mean for European regulations? – They are there to be applied to the minnows but ignored by the big boys.
    So why does the Norwegian government not support SAS instead? Well the Norwegian government is no longer a shareholder in SAS. The Swedish government has a 14.8% shareholding while the Danish government has 14.2%. The Norwegian government sold its share in June 2018.The rest are all private shareholders…..
    “Norway sells remainder stake in SAS airline,” (27 June 2018 Reuters).

https://www.reuters.com/article/sas-norway-sale/norway-sells-remainder-stake-in-sas-airline-idUSL8N1TT0BJ

I suppose there is a logic behind this move as there are a lot of socially necessary flights to outposts within the Arctic Circle. Considering the present state of the airline markets it would be very messy to let the airline go bust and then have to replace it with another.
    The interesting question left hanging in the air is if the Norwegian Air Shuttle will be allowed to develop its own business with a free hand. If that is the case can we expect to see an extensive European network of routes together with long-haul flights from Oslo and London in the not too distant future?

transtraxman
    Participant

Another cry for help from Norwegian….It is really piling on the pressure. Wideroe is likely to be helped as well but I do not see the Norwegian government helping SAS (at most a token measure) now that it has hitched its horse to Norwegian Air Shuttle as its national carrier.
    “Norwegian Air ‘won’t get through’ without state aid”, (Travel Weekly 2-10-20)

https://www.travelweekly.co.uk/articles/388076/norwegian-air-wont-get-through-without-state-aid

Another publication writing on the same theme ……………
    “Norwegian Reportedly In Nationalization Talks”, (Simple Flying 2-10-20)

Norwegian Reportedly In Nationalization Talks

canucklad
    Participant

Was golfing in Ayrshire last week and passed Prestwick most days to and from the different courses….

Sad to see the many Norwegian Dreamliner’s parked up with no where to go …. A very forlorn sight indeed
    In fact , a couple of the courses where under the approach. 2 cargo 747’s, a few Ryanir scheduled flights and RAF Hercules and that was it …
    Quiet skies indeed .

then again, maybe aircraft control knew I was whacking hard projectiles about within close proximity of the airport : )

2 users thanked author for this post.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

Some of those B787s at PIK may still be awaiting attention from the engine manufacturer.

Almost third of Norwegian Boeing 787 Dreamliners fleet is currently grounded due to engine problems

SimonS1
    Participant

AMcWhirter
    Participant

In which case the only long-haul routes left are to the US there is some doubt if schedules can restart in December.

Viewing 15 posts - 121 through 135 (of 181 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls