Norwegian

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 35 total)

• Anonymous

HighlandTraveller
    Participant

I am a BA Silver Card holder.

I am travelling to LCA with work on 2 Dec. I am travelling down from the highlands and so will arrive at LGW or LCY.

My realistic options are to transfer to LHR for BA or stay at LGW and go with Norwegian- any thoughts? How will they compare?

Also any recommendations for good hotel near LCA?

Thanks

TerryMcManus24
    Participant

I still see life as an adventure and given the chance look forward to flying with Norwegian… one day but no time yet..

HT… you don’t say where your ultimate destination is so bit difficult to answer .

Purely by co -incidence I/wife are travelling down to LCA from GLA (after family get together) on Dec 1st but we still have a house in North London so no need for local accom.

Regarding hotels… lots around both Gatwick and LCY but really its down to individual choice and preferences..

https://www.norwegian.com/uk/

Str8Talking
    Participant

I assume there is no flexibility in your schedule, hence why the BA LGW option on 1 and 3 Dec is not suitable?

Given that the fare on Norwegian is £40 vs BA’s £120 on the day, before you add the transfer costs, as well as Norwegian’s new wi-fi equipped 737-800 vs BA’s ageing 767-300 out of LHR, I think Norwegian makes sense. Will you have time to access the lounge, which is obviously free with your Silver Card if travelling BA? If that is an important part of the trip because you need to work etc, then that changes things. It depends on your priorities. If you need Tier Points to maintain status, then again, BA makes more sense.

For hotels in LCA – where will your workplace be based? If it is in the centre of town, then I would probably avoid the hotels along Dhekelia Road for convenience, even though there are some good ones there. Look for options around Foinikoudes instead which is within walking distance to Larnaca’s business centre.

TerryMcManus24
    Participant

Sorry…got my LCY mixed up with..LCA…………Holyrood…or Hollywood…?

[corrected in above post – site admin]

KarlMarx
    Participant

My GF and I recently had a weekend away in Helsinki and used Norwegian from Gatwick.

We were suprised at how good the experience was and would definitely use again. It didn’t feel low cost.

On a 5 hour flight, it’s worth paying for an exit row seat and everything is buy on board, but the wifi is free.

You can also buy lounge access and still save about £60.

HighlandTraveller
    Participant

Thanks All,

TerryMcManus24; easily done, dont worry!

I don’t need the tier points at present because I will not make Gold before my year end and am safely silver. I would not have long in the BA lounge.

I am therefore going Inv-LWG (£10.99!), and with Norwegian! I will let you know how it goes. Really struggling on hotels in LCA so shout if any recommendations!

Thanks

JohnnyFox
    Participant

I live very near LCY. Only the Travelodge and Ibis Budget are close enough that you could walk/trundle your luggage to and from the terminal, everything else requires a scuttle on the DLR or a bus ride. The DLR is a mess because the line from City Airport doesn’t pass any hotels, and to get to the ones round Excel you need to change again at Canning Town.

If you want comfort and something to do in the evening, best option is Four Seasons at Canary Wharf but on more of a budget I’d say the ALoft at Excel would be a good choice if you don’t mind the do-si-do with the trains and second choice the Holiday Inn Express by Canning Town station which despite its featurelessness has rather kindly and helpful staff.

Modesty forbids I should advertise my own AirBnB service, and we don’t take one-night guests anyway, but I recommend you have a look on there as some of my neighbours do.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

Johnny Fox –

It looks as though you’re getting confused between LCA and LCY.

SimonS1
    Participant

I must say I’m totally lost on the thread.

Are we looking for hotels near London City or Larnaca?

And what is “Inv-LWG (£10.99!), and with Norwegian!”

HighlandTraveller
    Participant

Sorry for the confusion caused by use of acronym….:)

I live in Wick in the Northern Highlands. I usually travel from the small (and very convenient) local airport (WIC) and transit through Edinburgh (EDI) or Aberdeen (ABZ). However, on this occasion going to Larnaca (LCA) I have to fly from Inverness (INV) via Gatwick (LGW) or City (LCY).

I am flying Norwegian to LCA but was looking for business hotel recommendations…

SealinkBF
    Participant

How about WIC – EDI – LHR – LCA?

Dependent on time of year can be had for around £350 rtn. (Probably £200 more than ex INV flight!)

HighlandTraveller
    Participant

Hi SealinkBF yes that’s the way I would normally go but I have to be in WIC on the Mon, and LCA on the Wed and the Tues WIC to EDI flight is not until lunchtime.

Advantage of that way is double tier points and miles on domestic section compared to just going from EDI:)

SSTBeliever
    Participant

I use WIC quite a lot – flying is STILL an adventure from some of the Highland airports if for no other reason than you never really know if you will be able to land or take off! Oh and the aircraft are proper aircraft albeit with two pilots!
    Why not go on T3 to ABZ and pick up a flight from there – saves a lot of driving although you might not make your LCA appointment if the times don’t fit?

conc001
    Participant

You would be mad to go with BA pay more for extra hassle and their short haul product is poor Norwegian is a good airline and a long way from some of the chav air options available in the low cost space

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 35 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls