Norse Atlantic Airways – new low-cost, long-haul operator

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 66 total)

• AMcWhirter
    Participant

Although Norse has yet to make an official announcement it’s reported in the US that Norse will return to Berlin this winter.

Previously Norse had operated routes from Berlin to Los Angeles and New York. But both underperformed and were axed.

Now from this December Norse will restart a once weekly BER-MIA service.

On December 11 Norse will start a x4 weekly service CDG-MIA.

1 user thanked author for this post.

AndrewinHK
    Participant

Given the LGW presence and relatively young fleet, I wonder if/when IAG could make a move on Norse given they looked at Norwegian in 2018. Gatwick seems to be of increasing focus to IAG given VS exit, and with the expansion opportunities coming within 5 years with the use of the second runway, if IAG want to build share they will need to make an acquisition given the long lag times for new aircraft deliveries. Norse have a tough battle especially as Global will add transatlantic capacity likely at Gatwick in 2024.

TupeloKid
    Participant

Bjorn Three?

AMcWhirter
    Participant

One might presume advance bookings are not as healthy as Norse would like.

I say that because I have today checked Norse’s website and the starting date for all three routes has been postponed to December 1.

When we reported on these three Caribbean routes the plan had been to launch them at the end of October.

Norse Atlantic to launch routes from Gatwick to Barbados, Kingston and Montego Bay

BackOfThePlane
    Participant

I understand that the airline don’t want to operate flights at a loss but postponing not one but three new routes isn’t a good look and risks becoming a self fulfilling fail. Personally, I wouldn’t risk booking Norse when there are more reliable (yes, even BA) options available.

Mark Caswell
    Keymaster

This is interesting, as Gatwick appears to be unaware of the postponement. In its press release today (9 August), the airport said:

“Following Norse Atlantic launching five new US routes from London Gatwick earlier this year, the airline is due to start operating to Miami and Boston in September, before adding Kingston, Montego Bay and Bridgetown in October.”

https://www.mediacentre.gatwickairport.com/news/london-gatwick-increases-passenger-choice-with-50-long-haul-routes-e1d0-40f32.html

Harbord1
    Participant

I hope they have a good understanding of the ‘use it or lose it’ slot rules at LGW – Norse will have to operate at least 80% of their winter season slots.

sandiego1
    Participant

Just checking fares to Boston in October, £158 outbound and £78 inbound, with premium seats at £149 for nearly every date, they must be haemorrhaging money left, right and centre. I wouldn’t book more than 2 weeks in advance for fear they cease to fly and follow their predecessor Norwegian who stopped long-haul flying without warning

AMcWhirter
    Participant

UPDATE

Appears Norse will be flying just to two rather than three Caribbean destinations.

Checking its website this evening reveals that the LGW-Kingston route has been removed from sale.

At time of writing the routes from LGW to Montego Bay and Barbados remain.

sparkyflier
    Participant

Alex interesting update re the Caribbean flights re Norse. And maybe not a surprise that Kingston is not happening. There simply is not huge demand to justify 2 scheduled airlines to go head to head on Kingston or Montego Bay and there is not much premium traffic.

Whenever BA has a Club World sale Kingston always shows at a relatively low fare.

On Montego Bay, going forward Virgin will protect themselves against competition by stopping en-route at Providenciales in Turks and Caicos – very high end and premium, so that route will fill the plane up in all cabins.

onajetplane
    Participant

Barbados has now dropped down to x5 a week this Winter as opposed to the originally planned daily service. Have to say I wouldn’t have confidence to book with them far in advance at this point!

AMcWhirter
    Participant

Thanks for the update onajetplane.

At the time when we published news of the Kingston route being axed it was understood that Barbados would go ahead as planned. In other words x7 weekly flights. So Norse must be finding the Caribbean a challenge.

Norse Atlantic drops plans for Gatwick-Kingston route

AMcWhirter
    Participant

@Flightradar24 is running a long podcast with Charles Duncan, president of Norse.

As might be expected of a US-based firm, the interview features only transatlantic routes to the US.

What is interesting is that Norse is tapping the cargo market. In particular carrying daily tons of Norwegian salmon from Oslo to JFK and LAX.

Fresh tomatoes from Netherlands are being trucked from Amsterdam to Paris and then on to JFK (what would the environmentalists say ?).

But lots of revenue come from ancillaries. Charles quotes an average figure of $120 (presumably that’s for a return flight) for Europe-US.

He says that $120 is way ahead of any other LCC on the transatlantic.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

Norse is expected to cancel another route.

Airlines don’t like to talk out route cancellations but it’s believed Norse will terminate its Gatwick-San Francisco route at end October 2023.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 66 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller February 2024 edition
Business Traveller February 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls