Norse Atlantic Airways – new low-cost, long-haul operator

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 66 total)

• AMcWhirter
    Participant

As some of you may already have spotted Mark posted our news today.

One fact I forgot to mentiion above is that this lease is for 18 months. In other words it would cover both summer 2022 and summer 2023 which are the busy seasons for transatlantic travel.

So far Norse Atlantic has not operated any flights.

Norse Atlantic Airways to lease four idle B787s to Air Europa

TominScotland
    Participant

I flew into Oslo this afternoon and we passed 5 Norse 787s (I think) lined up well away from the terminal. There appeared to be another one just de-planning passengers at the terminal.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

Maybe it was a charter or a test flight TominScotland.

I say that because there has been much news from this airline but it has yet to operate a single commercial flight.

Today a note on its website home page today says “Get ready for affordable transatlantic flights.”

1 user thanked author for this post.

TominScotland
    Participant

That Norse aircraft was still in the same position at the terminal when I left Oslo this afternoon so not sure what that means?

cwoodward
    Participant

I predicted last year on in the forum that they would last about a couple of years.
    Now I am wondering if in fact they will ever get off the ground – glad its not my money.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

Surprise surprise.

This airline has now placed its transatlantic flights on sale.

Initially these are four routes from Oslo:

New York JFK from June 14 up to daily

Fort Lauderdale from June 18 up to x3 a week

Orlando from July 5 up to x3 a week

Los Angeles from August 9 up to x3 a week

As yet there is no mention as to when Norse Atlantic’s flights from LGW will start.

1 user thanked author for this post.

DerekVH
    Participant

[postquote quote=1211001]

I have ex Norwegian flight crew who are being interviewed next week to be based at Gatwick, if they are successful I will ask if they get a start date!

AMcWhirter
    Participant

Norse Atlantic is now preparing for a London launch.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

transtraxman
    Participant

Despite the cynics doubting the intentions of the airline to ever take off, yesterday,14 June, Norse Atlantic inaugurated its route from Oslo to New York JFK. This will be followed by the route Oslo to Fort Lauderdale on 18 June. Its routes to Orlando and Los Angeles will follow in July and August.
    “Norse Atlantic Airways takes off with first flight from Oslo to New York,” (CAPA 15 June 2022)

https://centreforaviation.com/members/direct-news/norse-atlantic-airways-takes-off-with-first-flight-from-oslo-to-new-york-612064

Next will be the route London Gatwick to New York JFK on a daily basis, 12 August, to be followed by the routes Berlin Brandenburg to New York JFK, 17 August, and then later Berlin Brandenburg to Los Angeles, 19 August, and operated 3 x weekly.
    “Berlin To Be Norseā€™s Third European Destination,” (Routes Online, 8 June 2022).

https://www.routesonline.com/news/29/breaking-news/298173/berlin-to-be-norses-third-european-destination/

Other flights will follow in due course.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

Indeed transtraxman.

Here is our piece from last week re the flights from Berlin including analysis regarding previous operators.

Norse Atlantic to launch Berlin-USA service

AMcWhirter
    Participant

Latest news is that Norse Atlantic now has a UK subsidiary: Norse Atlantic UK.

It has bold expansion plans for the future.

Amongst the routes it wants to operate from London Gatwick are those to Fort Lauderdale, Orlando, San Francisco and Baltimore (for Washington DC).

Application has been made to the US authorities in a mammoth 36-page document.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

Norse Atlantic was bullish last June when it applied to operate seven transatlantic routes from LGW.

Norse Atlantic outlines plans for seven US routes from Gatwick

Sadly however the worsening economic situation has caught up with this airline.

In the first two weeks after launch Norse had a load factor of 82 per cent. Which is good.

But in August this fell to 69 per cent which, for a budget airline needing high load factors, isn’t good at all.

In its financial statement today Norse admits the months ahead will be “challenging.”

“Norse will be cautious with regards to its winter 2022 program and is continually evaluating all routes.”

From the UK Norse operates only one route: LGW to JFK.

https://airinsight.com/norse-atlantic-takes-cautious-approach-to-the-coming-winter/

AMcWhirter
    Participant

Cirium’s Jonathan Robins has produced a chart showing Norse’s load factor for 2022.

It covers the seven months in which Norse was operating.

An average of 62 per cent is not healthy when you consider it covers the peak months.

cwoodward
    Participant

My doubt was not that they would not start rather that they will not last long.
    I still have that doubt….. and expect that a lot of investors will again be hit.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 66 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls