Noisy Young Child on Overnight BA flight ?

Back to Forum
Viewing 13 posts - 61 through 73 (of 73 total)

• SimonS1
    Participant

Agree with you there GivingupBA.

My business flying only goes back 28 years but I have also been disturbed relatively infrequently and in my experience it is equally common to encounter disturbances caused by some self important business type who thinks the world revolves around them. Mainly men, I must say.

That’s why I don’t think any change of airline policy is needed, just a little self awareness on all fronts and appreciation that this is after all public transport.

2 users thanked author for this post.

AllOverTheGaff
    Participant

[quote quote=945678]Ignorant comments like yours spoil what is otherwise a very well natured site.[/quote]

Is it ignorant that I happen to know over 1 million misdiagnoses of ADHD in America alone? That’s documented misdiagnoses, how many more millions are flying under the radar?

You and I aren’t going to agree on this particular topic and you are going to continue to take offense, these was none delivered but for the sake of the good natured aspect of the site, I’ll leave my own thoughts on ADHD as they are.

AOTG.

AllOverTheGaff
    Participant

[quote quote=945696]Like others have said, get a decent set of headphones. Or better still give others the headphones so they cant hear you moaning !!![/quote]

You need to be more thorough in what you read when participating in online forums. That way you won’t make ridiculous comments about my moaning when I’ve actually be reasonably balanced on the matter of noisy kids on aeroplanes.

I am beginning to see where some of these kids get their behaviour patterns from……

AOTG.

1 user thanked author for this post.

AllOverTheGaff
    Participant

[quote quote=945731]Agree with you there GivingupBA.

My business flying only goes back 28 years but I have also been disturbed relatively infrequently and in my experience it is equally common to encounter disturbances caused by some self important business type who thinks the world revolves around them. Mainly men, I must say.[/quote]

Yep, particularly in lounges.

Montysaurus
    Participant

This topic seems to have brought out the worst in some of our posters.

1 user thanked author for this post.

AlanOrton1
    Participant

AOTG – I have no issues with your comments on children on planes made earlier. All good healthy debate and a hallmark of this forum. However, what you have said about children with a medical condition, just because you think it’s a load of guff, are pretty unnecessary.

esselle
    Participant

I’m not going to say anymore on the subject, AOTG, beyond the fact that you chose to raise the condition in the first place.

Henryp1
    Participant

[quote quote=944637]A question perhaps for our BA flight crew contributors.

My wife and I recently flew business class overnight on a BA long-haul flight to Gatwick. Throughout the flight a young child ( about 5 years old ) was consistently noisy throughout the flight. The child’s mother spent the majority of the flight with headphones on, engrossed with the In-flight entertainment. I got next to no sleep

When I mentioned this to the member of the cabin crew who serve breakfast she simply said they had once asked the mother to keep the noise down, and if I had a problem to fill in a complaint form ( which she gave to me ). About 20 minutes before landing another, more elderly crew member ( who I presumed was the CSM ) came to me and said “So, you didn’t get much sleep ?” When I said yes she simply said make sure to fill in the complaint form and also send it online. With that she left.

I am curious as to what training is given to BA cabin crew on how to deal with circumstances like this. I hope it isn’t try once then give-up !

On a separate note, my wife and I are both Gold Status with BA. I thought CSMs were supposed to introduce themselves to Gold Members during a flight, and might have taken a bit more interest in any concerns raised ?[/quote]

I see this as a fact of life when travelling, but expect the parents to try and comfort/entertain their children, with babies it’s quite different, a lot of travellers have been in challenging circumstances with their own children. But I do expect the cabin crew to intervene where there is negligence of the parent. Depending on the cabin the situations may be increased and more difficult. In a way no different to other forms of public transport and changing values around the world.

3 users thanked author for this post.

AllOverTheGaff
    Participant

[quote quote=946694]I’m not going to say anymore on the subject, AOTG, beyond the fact that you chose to raise the condition in the first place.[/quote]

I didn’t.

AOTG.

esselle
    Participant

AOTG

Let me be more precise.

You raised it as being a condition which should be considered something not suited to business class travel. In this context that was, as I said previously, an ignorant comment.

Johnnyg
    Participant

[quote quote=946671]

I am beginning to see where some of these kids get their behaviour patterns from……

AOTG.[/quote]

Also my children do not suffer from arrogance. Let us not let this conversation deteriorate further.

SimonS1
    Participant

My lad has attended an ADHD clinic since he was 4 (he is now 19). Ironically we had an appointment yesterday in Brighton, as you have to attend periodically for prescription review.

Somewhere in the course of the discussion the consultant said “of course many people are totally clueless when discussing ADHD” at which point I laughed out loud having read this thread whilst waiting outside.

2 users thanked author for this post.

K1ngston
    Participant

I think this whole thread was best summed up by the person or persons who said its the responsibility of the parent, I like most have been in the position where a baby has been crying and the mother (or father) have been doing everything in their power to placate the child, I am sure most of you have been in a similar position as parent and can commiserate.

What would make my blood boil is the parent putting on ear phones and ignoring the situation, that would need further discreet communication with them to ensure they took responsibility for their children…

I say this having recently returned from Europe on Turkish and the couple next to me had trouble getting the child to sleep and they were clearly exasperated that a) the child wouldn’t sleep and b) the child was disturbing others in the BC cabin.

The mother looked at me with sorrowful eyes as if to say I am so sorry I felt sorry for her and as almost a knee jerk reaction I suggested that I could try and placate the child…. Well she wasn’t going to look a gift horse in the mouth and gave me the little girl who immediately stopped crying and we had a “meaningful” conversation and then almost immediately started to drift to sleep in my arms

I think the whole cabin let out a collective sigh of relief, her mother had the biggest smile on her face and we all managed to get some sleep ….. job done and not a harsh word spoken

8 users thanked author for this post.
Viewing 13 posts - 61 through 73 (of 73 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls