No washbags on BA Club

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)

• Anonymous

HongKongPhooey
    Participant

I have flown 4 longhaul flights on BA Club in the past week on on each one there have been no washbags.

The explanations from crew have varied from not loaded to there is a shortage.

One request for an F washbag was brushed aside with a response that there would be hell to play if they acceded to such a request.

What on earth is BA up to?

VintageKrug
    Participant

It seems there have been quality control issues with some of the Elemis inserts in the new “Burberry-esque” style bags. Apparently the contents have been leaking.

As a consequence there have been shortages, and where some bags have been loaded, crew are offering them to passengers only on request.

Better than having a leak in your hand baggage after you disembark, but still not good enough. There should be some sort of contingency in place, even if that means no actual bag, and choosing from a bowl of goodies near the galley as a stopgap measure.

Should be mid July when a new consignment arrives.

Ricjackal
    Participant

And so it starts ….. A wash bag…. A wash bag there…. Next thing you know there wont be any cabin crew ( all sacked !! ) Or seats ( RyanAir) Plenty of room inside Move along the bus please !!!!!!!!!

HBHLondon
    Participant

Not sure if new consignment have arrived, but on 13 July was handed a Club bag on request and Elemis products are still leaking, but only after opening. Once you open one of the very very tiny tubes most of content comes out. Perhaps it is because the creams are forced into these very small tubes they tend to force themselves out. Nice bags though. Good for cosmetics and kids’ pencils.

ChrisGilmour
    Participant

Completely unacceptable! Symptomatic of an airline in a mess. As another reader correctly points out, the least they could do is to have a copious supply of toothpaste, toothbrushes etc in the toilets to substitute for such an eventuality. It’s all part of what’s know as giving good service. On First and Business Class in Emirates, not only are washbags handed out on overnight flights but the toilets are also well-stocked with the above-mentioned darticles and more.

OneA
    Participant

LHR YYC Club last week was the same – no amenity packs due to a manufacturing fault. However, I see this as a sensible cost saving; how many do you see discarded on seats with tag broken and just maybe a blackoiut mask used? Much better to have a box of tooth brushes / paste; USABLE double blade razors; “beauty products”; socks; masks for those who want them – this would be hugely saving in cost I am sure. Unless of course, Elemis (or whoever) actually PAY the cost of the amenity packs to BA to put their prouducts in…..!
    Like many of you I am sure, I have simply hundreds of these now, up in the loft, unopened; I thing I should sell them on ebay!

DJ_London
    Participant

July 09 – flew LHR – EWR and they had the new Elemis “Burberry-esque” style bags available, as they did on the JFK-LHR return on Tuesday. I think the amenities have gone down hill and this is the worst of all. The Elemis bag looks and feels cheap. The best part is it has a good zipper. The contents are more for women than men! I do like the face mist that they use to provide in the very old Anya Hindmarsh/Molton Brown bags. Ive also had the privilege of sitting in FIRST and experiencing the new FIRST wash bag. The D.R Harris products are very nice, however, the leader bag looks and feels cheap and is so small I won’t be able to use it for much else again…

Hess963
    Participant

Do we really need does washbags with or without brand products?
    Yes, at least the basic things like toothbrush, toothpaste, razor for men, cologne for women/after shave for men, cremes/emulsions against dryness, etc.. But all these products can be obtained in a decent bus/first cabin washrooms on board. At the moment the airlines are struggling to survive( BA for the most)—so the airlines will in the future reconsiderate which products can be obtained for all in the toilets or which should be given individually–if it is still necessary.
    I know, even I like be to pampered by receiving a nice big amenity kit with full of goodies, especially if they are brand names and really useable items ( First amenities in EK or LH). Feeling special for once in a while is great. But I am sure that we can renounce those goodies for a sake of a good food/wine, decent service, good reclinable seats and most important good ticket prices!!!
    Let those airlines give their pax the “big goody bags” as long as they can afford it!! In the end of the day, the big goodies are not the big factor to hold someones loyalty.

HongKongPhooey
    Participant

If amenity kits are advertised as part of the product they should be delivered. I don’t believe duplicity is the answer, and BA are particularly guilty of this

VintageKrug
    Participant

I think this problem is now sorted, as I was certainly offered an Elemis washbag inbound in http://www.newclubworld.com yesterday.

This was not duplicity on BA’s part; simply a quality issue with some fo the Elemis inserts which lead to shortages for about a fortnight back in early July. Elemis Bags were always available on request.

The new “Burberry-esque” bags are longer than previous versions, so much better for future re-use/kids pencil cases.

No excuse really as contingency should be in place, but sometimes events happen which mean suppliers are not able to deliver as expected.

I really liked the DR Harris inserts in the FIRST BAg outbound; quality stuff, and the new velcro sleepmask is excellent, shame the new “Anya Hindmarch 1924” BAg casing is hard and does not squash down taking up space in your hand baggage and limiting re-usability, the squishy zipper format of a few years ago was much better.

davidbell
    Participant

I recently flew BA club, from LHR to EWR and HKG to LHR, and on both cases I got a wash bag.

travelworld
    Participant

I must confess that BA’s washbags, like those of most airlines, have been going downmarket for some time. But do us regular travellers REALLY need them? I now tend to pass them to charity shops- or not to take them at all. I much prefer Virgin’s idea of having a big tray from which you can take what you want at the start of the flight. Saves weight and waste- and for those who are first time flyers in the J cabin it’s quite acceptable to “fill your boots”. Having said that, Emirates’ business class washbags are fabulous, with proper sized cosmetics and Bulgari aftershave- and a bag worth keeping.

NTarrant
    Participant

It is a shame that the washbags have declined over the last four or five years. I have yet to work out why there are socks in the kits. Useful if you have under estimated your packing on a long trip!

VintageKrug
    Participant

Socks are essential.

Who wants to walk in to an aircraft lav, with all the bad aim endemic in a turbulent airstream, in one’s home socks? Grim.com

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls