No Smoking Signs Obsolete

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)

• Anonymous

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Travelling this weekend from JNB to MXP via DOH, I noticed many passengers using iPods, iPhones, blackberries etc while taxiing out and even during take off and landing despite being told over the intercom that all electronic devices should be turned off.

We all know you cannot smoke on board anymore with no smoking signs present throughout the aircraft. If it is dangerous to operate electronic equipment is there not a case to be made in having an illuminated warning light, perhaps replacing the nonsmoking one, telling us clearly when we can use our devices and when not?

Any thoughts from anyone?

Tete_de_cuvee
    Participant

Cracking idea, makes perfect sense LP.

Smoking is no longer an option so its warning light should be replaced by a mobile light as per the seat-belt light as the use varies with prevailing circumstances.

Permanent Smoking notices should still be retained in key areas.

esselle
    Participant

Its a great idea. Folk who are too pompous/stupid to do what they are asked drive me potty. Havind said that, some airlines seem far more relaxed about policing the rules than others, and the rules do vary a lot between carriers, so some might say they were confused.

FormerlyDoS
    Participant

Egyptair already have such a sign on some of their aircraft, so do Emirates.

These are routinely ignored by pax.

On MEA, Saturday last, a guy was typing an email on a Thinkpad during approach and touchdown.

If the airlines are not prepared to enforce their rules, signs are a waste of dosh, IMHO.

Tete_de_cuvee
    Participant

However – Virgin announces it is now ok to text and call from mobiles on take-off on their flights

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2144190/Hello-I-CAN-talk—Mobile-phone-use-planes-cleared-Virgin-Atlantic-planes.html

There are restrictions though – especially within US airspace.

When will BA be following?

JonathanM8
    Participant

On BA’s LCY-JFK service there is an overhead sign depicting a mobile device which (from memory) is lit when you can use their ‘on-air’ wireless service (not over US air-space) and at altitudes over 10,000ft (again from memory).

Hippocampus
    Participant

Voice calls on your mobile probably won’t be happening on BA any time soon for the same reason this “innovation” is not on most other airlines: because the vast majority of passengers would hate the intrusion of mobile calls in the air.

Imagine bring sat next to a passenger suffering from presenteeism who simply has to join that two hour conference call whilst he’s over the Atlantic…

Tete_de_cuvee
    Participant

But Hippo, I thought voice calls can be made even now. Flip over the IFE control and there you have it. I have never used it myself though. This innovation merely allows you to use your own handset.

I fully agree, some mobile users are oblivious to the needs of other travellers or attempt to display their importance.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

The look on the faces of some cabin crew is they simply can not be bothered to enforce the rules.

The look on the faces of some of the passengers is they simply can not be bothered to adhere to the rules.

The look on the faces of some of the pilots is they simply believe that they are above the rules

Solution – start enforcing the rules or get rid of them!

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Tete, you’re right abut flipping over the IFE control and being able to make calls with a credit card.

This service apparently only works in the Northern Hemisphere as it is totally satellite based. The cost is off-putting though, $10 for the first 30 secs followed by $10 a minute.

I’ve used it twice as surprise calls call my children to wish them goodnight while flying over the Atlantic. The quality was very good with no delayed voice response.

RichHI1
    Participant

If the equipment is only to be used in N Europe ans USA then no smoking is assumed. Asia, Africa, Latin America, S Europe and Middle East there are still smokers ans the signs are legally necessary as are the lavatory smoke detector warning signs.
    However a Third icon would ba a good idea. Two problems, those whose Egos are too great or whose intellects are too small Will ignore them and as with Seat Belts some dlight decks will forget to turn them off promptly. So again like Fog signs on M25 they will be ignored.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

But at least the majority will obey the signs. I was worried the plane would hurtle down into the rice fields of Lombardy with all the devices on around me.

It does happen the Captain sometimes forget to turn off the seatbelt light. After ten minutes at cruise once and light still,burning bright, I asked the FA, she went to the flight deck and ping. Out it went. Captsin had forgotten!

Charles-P
    Participant

I used to take the warnings re electronic devices more seriously until I flew sitting next to a BA First Officer who played games on his MacBook Air through taxi and take off. When I half jokingly referred him to the restrictions he said,
    “O that’s just what we say to keep the insurance company happy. There is no chance any of this stuff could interfere with the aircraft.”

VintageKrug
    Participant

On the other hand, coming in on finals to Singapore Airport a few years ago iseated on the Upper Deck the aircraft lurched suddenly, and the captain came on saying that everyone should get up and proactively double check their phones were off, as they were getting interference in the cockpit. It shounded quite serious from his tone.

I’d imagine we’d have had plenty more incidences of mishaps if there really were problems from phones or other equipment.

Having said that, even the “pips” you sometines hear on spider phones and similar as a mobile seeks a signal can be picked up on communication kit, and could cause a vital instruction to be misheard or missed altogether…..

Best to play safe and turn off your electronic kit when asked.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls