No more compulsory masks in HK after tomorrow

Back to Forum
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

• cwoodward
    Participant

Many I suspect will hail this news.
    I will still be warring mine in all crowded places inc.. aircraft but it will be very pleasant after 3 years to have a choice

AndrewinHK
    Participant

I found it quite amusing that they made the announcement fully masked.

cwoodward
    Participant

Why Andrew ?

stevescoots
    Participant

well i get into HK tomorrow afternoon and i will be looking forward to walking thru HKG maskless, on the MTR and out to dinner!

1 user thanked author for this post.

DavidGrodentz
    Participant

Returned home to HK yesterday, after 10 months away

Like cwoodward, will continue to wear masks in busy places, much as we did in busy places (like public transport) in the UK, Europe, Thailand and Australia whilst away

Best bit now is that we have a choice

Woodpecker
    Participant

This morning on my way to work it appeared that about 70% of the people on the streets were still wearing masks, as indeed some in the work place. Those in the service industry – hotels, restaurants, airlines, clubs, etc. – have them on continuously, which I believe is highly disciplined of them.

cwoodward
    Participant

Am not at all surprised Woodpecker -on in our carriage on the MTR tdy only one person not wearing a mask -an American accented male of about 45 with Asian wife/girlfriend wearing a mask.
    I have not been to Japan yet this year but am told that in Tokyo it is much the same.
    If so I am not surprised as as much as 20 years ago any office staff with a cold or cough popped on a mask thus it has never been unusual in Tokyo’s streets shops or bars. Over the past 15 years or so it has become increasing apparent in Hong Kong also
    For the Japanese and many in Asia it is not unusual or bothersome to respect others (and protect themselves) in this way.

esselle
    Participant

[postquote quote=1346709]

Didn’t mask wearing all start during SARS in 2003?

cwoodward
    Participant

Hi esselle

In a general way perhaps -in Japan however much longer ( but more apparent after SARS). I have been doing business there (and lived there for 2 almost years in the late seventies) for I guess about 50 years and as long as I can recall those office staff with colds often popped on a mask. It would perhaps be interesting to take a look at how long they have been doing this
    The below sheds some light :

‘More and more people wear masks now in Japan and it is common to see others with masks on. However masks started to be used in Japan in the 1870s, about 150 years ago. At the time, people working at coal mines and factories wore the masks to protect themselves from dust.
    Demand for masks increased rapidly in Japan following the spread of influenza in the country starting in 1918. Apparently, informative posters were put up in the streets to encourage people to wear masks at that time. Later, influenza spread again in 1934, and masks grew hugely popular in Japan as a means to prevent infection. From then on, masks became more and more widespread in Japan each time influenza spread. In this way, the practice of wearing a mask if one has a cold or is unwell gradually took root among Japanese people.’

stevescoots
    Participant

CX flight half the crew not wearing them, most passengers in the airport not wearing and nobody including staff in my hotel wearing them. Had a nice night out in ETST tonight and very few had them on walking the streets. i think it will go back to pre covid very quickly and people don them when they have a sniffle!

cwoodward
    Participant

For the last couple of minutes of my drive in this morning (nbr2 son driving) I counted the pedestrians – of some 200 all bar 3 (smoking) mainland Chinese were wearing a mask. 95% would have been office workers.
    I found it interesting and will count again in a couple of weeks.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls