No deal Brexit and aviation

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 42 total)

• Tom Otley
    Keymaster

Let’s hope.

Meanwhile, Lugano / Switzerland is safe!

News story

UK aviation industry set to prosper as UK prepares to leave the EU

Transport Secretary Chris Grayling to sign new bilateral deal with Switzerland and the government’s aviation strategy green paper is launched today.

https://www.gov.uk/government/consultations/aviation-2050-the-future-of-uk-aviation

1 user thanked author for this post.

PeterCoultas
    Participant

I thought everything was already resolved by the backstop. We will have control of our border so that all poles, rumanians, latvians, bulgarians and more who wish to make a packet working in the British black economy will be welcome once in.

Take a trip to eire, contact me with a small amount of cash and my Irish friends will show them how to walk across the non-existent “border” to Northern Ireland and on to the ferry sailing through the non-existent sea “border” to land in scotland or england. It was easier to come via Calais but that is life under the sainted Teresa.

2 users thanked author for this post.

LetsGoOutside
    Participant

The problem is not one of physical access (some people are actually able to swim across the Channel even if, admittedly, it is easier to swim across the Rio Grande). The problem is one of right to work legally.

PeterCoultas
    Participant

How many EU immigrants taking the jobs of unemployable Brits need to work legally? They are mostly young & fit and not likely to need support and would frankly rather not pay tax. If employed the employer escapes payments they would otherwise need to make.

Mark Caswell
    Keymaster

Brexit: European Commission implements “no-deal” Contingency Action Plan in specific sectors

Transport

The Commission has today adopted two measures that will avoid full interruption of air traffic between the EU and the UK in the event of no deal. These measures will only ensure basic connectivity and in no means replicate the significant advantages of membership of the Single European Sky. This is subject to the UK conferring equivalent rights to EU air carriers, as well as the UK ensuring conditions of fair competition.

– A proposal for a Regulation to ensure temporarily (for 12 months) the provision of certain air services between the UK and the EU.
    – A proposal for a Regulation to extend temporarily (for 9 months) the validity of certain aviation safety licences.
    – The Commission has also adopted a proposal for a Regulation to allow UK operators to temporarily (nine months) carry goods into the EU, provided the UK confers equivalent rights to EU road haulage operators and subject to fair competition conditions.

http://europa.eu/rapid/press-release_IP-18-6851_en.htm

Mark Caswell
    Keymaster

Reassurance that UK air connectivity will not be disrupted in a no-deal scenario

Commenting on the European Commission’s Contingency Action Plan published today [Wednesday 19 December 2018], Chief Executive of the Airport Operators Association, Karen Dee said:

“Travellers looking to book their 2019 holidays, family visits and business trips can rest assured that there will be no disruption to their flights in a no-deal Brexit scenario, following the publication today of the European Commission’s Contingency Action Plan.

“This comes on top of the important steps the UK Government has taken in concluding UK bilateral agreements with non-EU countries like the US and Canada where we currently fly to under a EU-level agreement.

“While an orderly transition period remains airports’ top priority, today’s announcements alongside the UK’s technical notices released in September this year, should reassure passengers that the UK’s essential air connectivity will continue to operate.”

Stephbaker
    Participant

Thanks for this. I have read about Brexit and watched videos to understand it but this was the most useful kind of an article. The future prospects really help understand how grave the issue really is. Thanks for this answer.

Flightlevel
    Participant

It means a lot to EU airlines to overfly the UK, given the N.American market is probably their most profitable.
    If they play awkward, as they have in other fields, with aviation our final negotiatiating point is no overflights.
    Just watch the daily AF,LH,KL overflights – they’d make a loss on so many routes.
    The EU has already backed down over the major UK derivatives business all be it supposedly for one year, in many industries they have more to lose without the UK.
    Reality even makes politicians wise – eventually.

transtraxman
    Participant

Maybe it does mean a lot to the Continental Europeans to be able to fly over UK airspace.

However, it seems you tend to forget that UK airlines need to fly east.

Tourist routes to Spain, Greece, Cyprus and Turkey, while longer routes to the mid and far east need to pass over France, Germany, Italy, Poland and even Scandinavia.

Therefore, who would lose more, the UK closing its airspace, or them closing their airspace to the UK?

A bit of common sense, please.

3 users thanked author for this post.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Neither side will close their airspace!

capetonianm
    Participant

All this Project Panic nonsense makes me think of the famous headline from years ago in a UK newspaper :
    “Fog in Channel – Continent Cut Off”

There is very little common sense around over Brexit. Isn’t it ironic that ‘common sense’ is anything but common!

We had dinner recently with British friends who travel a lot. They are refusing to make travel bookings between UK and any EU country after March 28th. because ‘all the flights will be cancelled and we won’t be able to get refunds because the EU rule (261) won’t apply’. For once I decided to keep my mouth closed rather than engage in a discussion that could only have ended in acrimony.

Project Fear has been upgraded to Project Panic and is about to be upgraded to Project Pandemonium. Anyone would think that 29MAR is some sort of Doomsday.

2 users thanked author for this post.

stevescoots
    Participant

[quote quote=911945]All this Project Panic nonsense makes me think of the famous headline from years ago in a UK newspaper :

“Fog in Channel – Continent Cut Off”

There is very little common sense around over Brexit. Isn’t it ironic that ‘common sense’ is anything but common!

We had dinner recently with British friends who travel a lot. They are refusing to make travel bookings between UK and any EU country after March 28th. because ‘all the flights will be cancelled and we won’t be able to get refunds because the EU rule (261) won’t apply’. For once I decided to keep my mouth closed rather than engage in a discussion that could only have ended in acrimony.

Project Fear has been upgraded to Project Panic and is about to be upgraded to Project Pandemonium. Anyone would think that 29MAR is some sort of Doomsday.[/quote]

Y2K bug springs to mind….

MartynSinclair
    Participant

I often wonder how the negotiations would have evolved if Mrs May had not accepted the intransigence from Europe (Messers Juncker, Barnier and Tusk). Offering the UK / Mrs May, what is described as the ONLY deal, along with a comment suggesting, the UK will regret leaving the day after they sign the deal… shows how weak the UK were by just rolling over and not really fighting back to get a better divorce settlement/agreement.

President Trump may have his critics, but I feel confident had the UK had a businessman leading the negotiations (rather than a lawyer), the outcome could have been very different.

The EU has become a beast and whilst I admit to voting to remain, I would not vote to remain in the EU currently, unless the EU was a true democracy.

As for a No deal Brexit and Aviation – does anyone really think airplanes will be grounded with a no deal… ?

Similarities to way Sepp Blatter ran Fifa spring to mind …

Happy New Year to all and I am sure 2019 will be a very exciting year…

1 user thanked author for this post.

canucklad
    Participant

Like most of my friends I’m now totally fed up with the whole thing……

I’m likely flying to NBO the week before , and to HKG the week after Brexit . My plans came up as a conversation piece over the festive period, and I basically got so fed up, with the discussion I couldn’t help in frustration to exclaim to someone pressing for a 2nd referendum (refuse to call it a peoples vote) ….“ It’s easy then, just ban the stupid people from voting “

The politicians (of all hues) have to take a good long look at themselves.
    Every time they opine on Brexit, you wonder how the hell they ever got voted in.

When the country needed unity it got cats and dogs fighting in the wet burlap sack that Westminster has become!!
    Egotistical and self-centred prats , fuelled by a press pushing its own agenda!!

All very predictable and shameful behaviour

capetonianm
    Participant

I present this purely as entertainment since I cannot believe that anyone can be so ignorant, stupid, and paranoid, or perhaps a kinder explanation is that he is looking for attention :

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6541687/Prophecy-Prepper-spends-thousands-food-axe-fears-riots-break-Brexit.html

A call centre worker has splashed thousands on stockpiling food, medical supplies and camping gear as he believes the UK will fall into ‘riots and disorder’ after Brexit.

Mark McLean has already spent more than £2,000 hoarding the items …………

The 33-year-old customer services manager thinks riots and public panic ‘is a guarantee’ but plans to flee his Glasgow city centre flat to live off the land in the remote Scottish Highlands.

Mr McLean has trained himself to hunt squirrels and collect rainwater to drink. He’s even made plans to build an underground bunker and tunnel system as he sees a Russian invasion post-Brexit as likely.

Words almost fail me, but the ones I’d use are not fit for here!

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 42 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls