No cars available.. from anyone (in CPT)?

Back to Forum
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

• Anonymous

SwissExPat
    Participant

I just booked a last minute trip to CPT arriving on 1 Jan 2012 and tried to book a rental car from any Company (Hertz [ I am a no 1 club member], Avia [via Avis_BA], Budget, and even expedia)

Not a single car of any variety available.

Has anyone any idea what I can expect on arrival? Does this happen alot there? Will be there some cars available there to walk up renters and are just not confirmable online?

Thanks P

MartynSinclair
    Participant

I just tried a google search with all those companies you woulndt normally touch and got similar results. I note DoS managed to find one with travel supermarket. However, if you take it forward to book, mine cancelled out.

I also tried from 31 Dec and got similar results.

Whether there is an IT problem with the bookings or whether CPT is out of cars, I couldnt answer.

Be interested what happens when you arrive.

Good luck and Happy 2012 SwissExPat.

DisgustedofSwieqi
    Participant

Couldn’t try the booking any further, as it would mean paying for it!

Note of caution, when hiring a merc or similar in ZA, the company often requires 2 credit cards for security.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

DoS – I just went to the payment page and thats when it went awol.

I did try using a VPN connection to my UK server as well as direct via my local Florida ISP.

SwissExPat
    Participant

Thanks Guys !

This is the first time I am visiting CPT and also the 1st time that I have tried to book a Car and to find that this is ‘no cars available’

I am hoping that the rental car companies are simply not taking any bookings due to general demand and that there may be cars returning that they can get back out as rentals asap.

If I get there in 36 hours and the complete parking lot is empty then I am going to be in a copmlete fix!!!1

Rgds P

SimonRowberry
    Participant

P,

Whether or not you end up with a car, for Heaven’s sake take care in CPT!

Safe travels, Simon

LuganoPirate
    Participant

I just rented a car for a one way trip from CPT to Knysna without problem. It is now peak tourist season and Jan 1st is not only a Sunday but a holiday as well. Also the 2nd is a day off and I think that’s why the web says no availability.

You could try phoning direct to s. Africa otherwise there are plenty of rental agencies at CPT and if you turn up you should find a car without too much of a problem.

Not sure where you’re headed to, but if worse comes to worse (and I don’t think it will) then try a taxi, but make sure it’s reputable. It will be inexpensive, but prepare to bargain. If in town just use a taxi and get the hotel to help.

Have a great time and enjoy S. Africa. Happy New Year.

SwissExPat
    Participant

Well…. I arrived and indeed there was not a Car to be had at any of the 8-9 rental companies.

In the end I got a taxi to the hotel and curtailed the travelllng we had planned.

It is indeed shocking that rental car companies can end up not being able to provide cars to potential customers and shows a lack of planning on their behalf.

(or perhaps they are indeed willing to forego this business so that they maximize their inventory!)

If I were the tourist board of SA, then i’d not be happy!

Rgds P

LuganoPirate
    Participant

I was wondering how you got on as some friends of ours told me they had had a problem at CPT as well on arriving on the 1st.

It seems there has been unprecedented demand not only for cars, but hotels as well. My favourite, the Mount Nelson was fully booked from the 20th Dec till the 7th as were many others.

Here in Knysna and Plett we have been unable to book our favourite restaurants due to the sheer volume of tourists who hit the area.

The situation will definitely ease after the 7th and I hope you enjoy the rest of your trip.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls