No Anglo-Scottish trains on WCML for days

Back to Forum
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

• Anonymous

AMcWhirter
    Participant

The WCML (West Coast Main Line) will be closed for several days owing to flooding which is most serious at Carlisle.

There will be no through trains running between London Euston and Glasgow until further notice.

Ticket acceptance tomorrow is available from VTEC (Virgin Trains East Coast).

http://www.networkrailmediacentre.co.uk/news/eight-foot-deep-floodwater-means-northern-section-of-west-coast-main-line-to-be-closed-for-several-days

FDOS_UK
    Participant

We had intense rain in Lancaster on Saturday, following a wet week.

Our house has had no electricity since 1035pm on Saturday and we may not be reconnected until 8pm on Tuesday 8/12.

It’s not just us, about 55,000 other in Lancaster are also with electricity, as the River Lune burst it’s banks and flooded the substation that supplies the area.

I had to drive to Oxford yesterday afternoon and it took me 45 mins just to get out of town, due to all the road closures – two bridges needed structural checks due to the amount of debris flowing down the river, including a container (don’t know if 20 or 40 foot) that became detached from a lorry.

My daughter reported that Sainsbury’s was flooded to the first floor level (it is very near the river bank.)

Fortunately our house isn’t in a flood prone area (we did check carefully when we bought it), but my heart goes out to all those people whose properties have taken damage from the storm.

I’ve never seen such a downpour in the UK before, it reminded me very much of a tropical storm in intensity, although it was not electrical.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

This sounds terrible FDOS. Your story brings a human dimension missed out by the press. I know what it’s like to be without electricity due to the frequent power cuts we’ve had in South Africa, but the longest we had was 24 hours, so I can really sympathise.

I hope you’re at least able to keep warm? We have a log fire, gas hob and a “braai” (bbq) so at least we could still cook and keep warm. Let’s hope you’re quickly reconnected and the waters recede rapidly.

canucklad
    Participant

In Newcastle this week, rather than Manchester, so happily avoided travelling via Preston , or not as the case may be.

And FDOS, I’m just going to reaffirm LP’s point, hope things get back to normal, sooner rather than later.

SealinkBF
    Participant

These “once in 100 year” events are turning up more often!

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Sealink +1

AMcWhirter
    Participant

There is also disruption to the Caledonian Sleeper which runs between London Euston and Edinburgh, Glasgow, Aberdeen, Fort William and Inverness.

Trains are taking the East rather than the West Coast Line. They are still running to/from London Euston but bus transfer is being used on certain Scottish sections.

Details:

https://www.sleeper.scot/2-news/130-service-alterations-september-to-november-2015

FDOS_UK
    Participant

Thanks for the best wishes – we got off very lightly compared to the people in Kendall, Keswick, Carlisle and other parts of Cumbria, who got absolutely hammered.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls