No 1 Traveller Lounge, BHX

Back to Forum
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

• Anonymous

PatJordan
    Participant

No 1 Traveller Lounge Birmingham International Airport

Servisairs’ Aspire and No 1 Traveller are the principal lounges in Birmingham International.

No 1 Travellers’ standard fee of £22.50 is reduced to £15.50 to members of Frequent Flyer programmes, who do not have access to this lounge. As an Aer Lingus Gold Circle member, I have complimentary access to Servisair’s Aspire lounge, however I found the range of food on offer to be somewhat underwhelming, and on my last visit to BHX, I tried No1 Traveller Lounge, was quite impressed and considered it well worth the cost. So much so that I returned when last in Birmingham.

This is a large bright lounge with a mezzanine section. There is a dining area with upright seating, and a range of comfortable seats to relax, as well as a small business centre. At the entrance there is a small room for private meetings. Complimentary wi-fi is available.

There is a good selection of quality magazines and news papers. I found the staff very friendly and welcoming.

The food is complimentary and forms two distinct parts: pantry table and bistro.
    Bistro menu from the kitchen
    • One of the following items can be ordered from from the kitchen or at the bar, on a complimentary basis. If you would like more than one dish, these can be purchased at £4.
    Before 11am
    • Bacon roll
    • East Anglian cured bacon and tomato served in a buttered, soft white roll with your choice of red or brown sauce
    • Apple & pear French toast
    • Cinnamon French toast served on a bed of warm apple and pear compote, dusted with sugar
    • Posh beans on toast
    • Baked beans in a onion and garlic tomato sauce, finished with truffle oil and parsley. Topped with gluten free melba toast
    After 11am
    • Coq au vin
    • The classic bistro dish made with chicken breast and button mushrooms in a red wine and thyme sauce, garnished with crispy potatoes and large crouton
    • Vegetable lasagne
    • Oven-baked layers of pasta, spinach & mushroom, toppedwith a cheese sauce and drizzled with mushroom purée. Can be made with gluten free pasta on request
    • Cheeseboard
    • A selection of British cheeses, artisan biscuits served with homemade spiced apple chutney. Includes a rich, Barbers vintage cheddar from Somerset, a buttery Somerset camembert from Lubborn Creamery, and a gentle yet zesty Blue Cheshire. Can be served with gluten-free melba toast on request.

I ordered Coq au vin, which was served in a bowl on a wooden dish. Portions are similar in size to starters in a restaurant, and despite seeming to have been microwaved, it was pleasant with a good amount of chicken.

Self-service from the Pantry Table
    Help yourself to whatever takes your fancy from our breakfast or day selections
    Before 11am
    • Cereals
    • Pastries
    • Fruit salad
    • Fresh fruit
    • Yoghurt or porridge with toppings
    After 11am
    • Freshly-made salads
    • Soup of the day
    • Fresh fruit
    • Cakes & tray bakes

The soup was leek and potato, hot, thick and full of flavour.

Salads are very well presented, and alongside staples such as mixed leaves, tomato & shredded red onion, there were some unusual combinations:

Beetroot & orange
    Baby potato & parsnip
    Pasta & cauliflower

All were quite pleasant and I had a perfectly acceptable lunch.

Soft drinks, tea and coffee are self service, and there is a full bar where drinks are served (in pub measures) by staff. All are complimentary with the exception of champagne.

After my lunch, I had a glass of merlot and read for a while.

I would not normally pay to use a lounge when I have access to a complimentary facility, however No.1 Traveller lounges are generally very good, and on this occasion was hungry.

Bearing in mind the quality of the food, I felt that the cost represented good value, particularly when compared to the cost of eating in an airport restaurant. Aer Lingus have used No.1 Traveller lounges in the past….hopefully they might do so in BHX in the future.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls