Night Tube and what do you call your underground railway?

Back to Forum
Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)

• navnov11
    Participant

@bugadvisor, in Tokyo, they do say “Take the chikatetsu to Shinjuku..” or “I commute to work daily by chikatetsu..”

kevin46
    Participant

The Dublin Light Rail Tram System is called the Luas, which means ‘speed’. Its success has exceeded all expectations since being first introduced in 2004, and there is currently a 6km. extension being built which is expected to be completed in late 2017.

jjlasne
    Participant

BART is only underground in San Francisco and parts of Oakland/Berkeley. Otherwise, it is above ground and/or elevated very much like the RER in the Paris region, the subway in New York or the tube in Greater London.

jjlasne
    Participant

We have the Muni Metro in San Francisco which is pretty much an underground and street level tramway known here as a “streetcar: They also run historic trams on Market Street using rolling stock from Australia, Italy and the US. A big attraction for the tourists, besides the famous cable cars up and down the hills.

scott66
    Participant

To steer a good thread slightly off course.

As a first time visitor to Tokyo I was impressed with the apparent easy one should be able to navigate round the underground system. All signs were bi lingual as were the automatic ticket machines.

Where I fell over was failing to understand there are two train operating companies (TOC), you can buy day tickets for either TOC or a combined ticket. Having bought one of the single TOC tickets, I spent the day navigating round Tokyo via convoluted dog legs and switch backs – Mornington Crescent style.

Simple explanation – On the underground map, the routes operated by the TOCs are arrange in columns in the key section.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

Probably only valid for London based members….

A small gripe about the Metropolitan line this evening….

Why could TFL not announce before passengers got off the tube at Baker Street (11.10pm) on the Jubilee line to interchange to the Metropolitan line that trains finished at 10.50pm.. So many people (myself included) got off at Baker Street, only to be turned back at the Metropolitan line platform, back onto the Jubilee line, being told the last train had gone at 1050pm….

Simple communication would have solved the problem.

ImissConcorde
    Participant

canuklad – In Dublin it’s the Luas (pronounced as lewis) meaning speed!

Flightlevel
    Participant

[quote quote=870408]

Why could TFL not announce…..

Simple communication would have solved the problem.[/quote]
    Buses are worse-they never ever connect since Tfl took over for their million pound pensions and £100k salaries.
    Most call it Transport
    f—s London!

Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls