Nickle’d & Dime’d – Marriott

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 35 total)

• Irons80
    Participant

My concern about the so called ‘free internet’ is that it’s a very poor offer… you still have to pay through the nose for anything resembling a decent speed. I have just returned from a 3-day Crowne Plaza stay in the UK and whilst as a Platinum member the internet was free, the connection provided was very patchy and so slow as to make even simple tasks such as checking emails almost impossible. Indeed, my 4G connection was much better, although I have now nearly used up my data for the month (3 GB!). We forget how much data we use – and yet as others have pointed out, you get a very fast and reliable free connection in most stores now.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

I have a Virgin Mobile payg and by topping up with £10 (or £20, can’t remember) you get unlimited Internet fort the month which was faster, more reliable, and easier to connect with than that offered by the hotel.

As I had a new mobile I needed a new smaller SIM, for which I had t wait a week from Virgin for it to be posted. There was a guy across the road from the store, who for £2 cut it for me with a small machine. It fitted and worked perfectly and at night I could take it from my phone and put it in my iPad. Brilliant.

DavidGordon10
    Participant

To sum up, I think all business hotels should provide fast and free internet access. Free and slow is no good. There is a cost, but it is minuscule compared with the rates charged by, say, the Marriott chain.

So, to edit my original post “…if I am making my own booking – no free AND FAST internet = no booking. Full stop.”

Irons80
    Participant

Unfortunately, sometimes it’s difficult to know whether the internet will be both free and fast at the booking stage – they use the headline grabber of ‘free’ internet, but it’s only once you check into your room that you find out that you have to pay extra for the ‘fast’ bit

esselle
    Participant

Once had a big row with the GM of a swank hotel who explained to me that using the net cost money, so had to be charged for.

He had no answer when I asked him if my time in the shower was limited so as to ensure I did not use more than my allotted quantity of hot water.

Shearer
    Participant

Why would that conversation end in a row?

ViajeroUK
    Participant

#esselle 20.47

Not a big row, but did once have a ‘discussion’ with a hotel manager when he tried to justify internet charges due to cost of installation.

I suggested that the latest wide screen TV in every room would have had a much higher installation cost, but there was no charge to watch TV, after some waffling he gave up and walked away.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

The other problem Irons, is when it says free Internet, but on arrival you discover it’s only free in the lobby or with a cable in the room and not wifi, which has to be paid for. Grrrr!

MartynSinclair
    Participant

LP – forgetting costs, do you use or prefer wifi or cable in hotel rooms. I had always assumed cable provided faster download times.

Irons80
    Participant

Funnily enough, I’ve found wireless is usually free and wired costs. However, wired is not an option any more on most ultra books and all MacBook Airs as they don’t have a network cable port.

JordanD
    Participant

What I have yet to understand if how small hotels in the backwaters of Peru are able to supply free, fast wireless internet at zero cost, whereas big chain hotels in big cities say it is “really hard” to provide good quality wifi.

Lies, damn lies, etc.

TominScotland
    Participant

Irons80

MacBook Airs hook up to wired internet very easily with a small and low cost adapter – I use one all the time.

JordanD – I understand the problem for larger hotel companies is all about long-duration contracts for the supply of internet services, taken out a number of years ago when the internet world was a very different place. That is why you find many hotels charge for in-room internet (old contract when wifi was, generally, not an option) but offer free wifi in public areas based on a newer service arrangement.

DavidGordon10
    Participant

I am absolutely with you, JordanD – you could change your comment to “… small hotels in the backwaters of just about any small and poor country …” I also endorse the comments above about the cost of the fancy flat-screen TVs, and of the hot water in the shower.

The satisfaction of dumping on Marriott in a Tripadviser review that I mantioned before is matched by the pleasure of posting the exact reverse kind of review on a Hilton Inn in Philadelphia – perfect free and fast internet.

IanFromHKG
    Participant

Travel wireless routers are – at least in Asia – cheap and easy to obtain. I have one which is slightly larger than a matchbox. Wired connection to wireless in just a few seconds!

StewartKidd1
    Participant

Marriott provide free wifi in Club Rooms and for holders of their Gold (and I think Sliver) Rewards cards. I heard a story last year that free wifi is actively being considered. Free wifi is also available in their Club Lounges.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 35 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls