Next forum posters’ meeting

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 135 total)

• LindsayW
    Participant

Whilst I can’t make this one (as I live in Australia), I’ll check next year for your May 2011 get-together as I’ll be in London from 24 May to 1 June.

PatJordan
    Participant

Hi Jim and all at the Coach & Horses.

Greetings from (a very cold) Dublin. Hope the gathering went well tonight. Hopefully I’ll be in London next time and get to meet some of you face to face.

OzTraveller
    Participant

I’m in Australia (permanently not just visiting …) Would love to join your forum posters meeting just to meet VintageKrug … does he really show up..? Guess he changes out of his BA uniform if he does.

Bunnahabhain
    Participant

No, VK is Charlie and we are his Angels!!

Was just Nigel and me last night. Looking to hold one next year at an aviation themed venue such as the BA museum (any ideas how to go about booking it VK?) or Concorde at MAN / Edin museum of flight / Brooklands. But it’s difficult because of the very nature of business travel to get suitable dates, and of course our diaries change all the time.
    Any other ideas for a venue?

PS Round the corner from the Coach & Horses on Grafton St there’s a Rolls Royce office with a Trent 900 fan blade proudly displayed in thewindow. Last night when I passed there was some kind of champagne reception – caption competition??!!

thfc1972
    Participant

Good Morning,

Can the meetings be advertised or and email sent to remind people, I would like to attend the next gathering event.

Tom Otley
    Keymaster

Hello,

They are informally organised by the forum members, but we can try and organise one sometime in the new year and put a plug in the email newsletter, perhaps.

Tom Otley
    Editor

robsmith100
    Participant

Jim – i think you will find there were actually a few more of us there however there was a major flaw in the planning of this event. How many of us have ever really met before? When we turned up there was no indicator of any kind for the BT readers, such as a designated table or area. Ok it was a small pub but also very crowded.

Tom- The idea by Jim of holding the event at the BA museum sounds great perhaps a key note address by VK would really top of the evening.

NTarrant
    Participant

Rob – that was a shame if you were there and didn’t see Jim, he normally places a BT magazine on the table. Jim also put this thread as a reminder and no one responded saying they were coming. So essentially there were only those that had made contact with Jim directly.

The pub is not ideal unless it is not that busy, certainly the first time it was busy and the second time we were lucky to have a table upstairs. Jim text me and said it was loud and crowded. I was running late and as no one had turned up by 2000 we arranged to de-camp to Wetherspoons at Victoria which was equally crowded and loud.

We both felt that holding the next one at a venue such as BA museum or a Concorde location would add interest and perhaps more would turn up.

PatJordan
    Participant

NTarrant, that’s a great idea!

Roll on next year, I’ll do my best to cross the pond,

SimonRowberry
    Participant

Folks,

Apologies again for not being able to be there.

As explained, I was in Dresden. On Thursday I was actually carrying out some crucial fieldwork and primary data collection in connection with a research project. My hypothesis was that the German Purity Laws mean that you can have a sociable gallon or so of German beer and not get a hangover.

I discovered yesterday morning that my hypothesis was, alas, false.

Regards,

Simon

SimonRowberry
    Participant

I had dinner in Oxford last night with Senator. It was very pleasant and he is also someone who one would not probably know if it wasn’t for this Forum.

Regards to all.

Simon

Potakas
    Participant

Unfortunately i had never been at those meetings.. looking forward for the next one to meet you.

Jim, i would like to ask you, that if it’s you that is going arrange the next one i would appreciate if you could schedule it after 9th of January as i will be out of UK (xmass holidays) before and i really want to meet many of you.

Thanks in advance,

Potakas

LindsayW
    Participant

OzTraveller, perhaps we should set up an Australian meeting of members – you, me, JohnPhelan and any others (particularly with any visiting members). Wonder if any are over here for the Ashes?

I’m easy about city – MEL or SYD and venue

Bunnahabhain
    Participant

Sorry to those who made the journey to the Coach & Horses last Thursday, as you say it was packed – and there was the weakest link of not having contact details for anyone else who might have been coming along. I did manage to get a table, albeit small, to the left of the bar by just after 7pm, and duly brandished the November edition of BT, but eye contact with anyone else – story of my life – just wasn’t happening to be honest. That’s blind date for you I guess. And as Nigel was the only other person who had confirmed attendance – appreciating we don’t ask for that such is the nature of what we all have in common – I contacted him and we met in a quieter pub at Victoria.

A bit like organising the Xmas night out, it’s a thankless job and guaranteed to go wrong + make you unpopular all round. Only difference with this is at least you don’t get out of pocket too!

Going back to the first one, which Mark & Felicity from BT attended, they booked a table at the nearby May Fair (Hotel) bar, it was similarly packed & noisy, and only Nigel and me made it in the end – others got stuck in meetings or traffic jams.

So we moved to a more informal venue of the nearby C&H, and to be fair the one in August worked really well, with 7 of us including Tom. But Mayfair during the holiday season is obviously quieter in the evening, and last week was the other extreme. Again my sincere apologies, nothing worse than making a journey to find it doesn’t happen, I’ve done it many times and know how it feels.

Not sure how we move forward – yeah BT could well organise something at an aviation themed venue, but what if come the day only 2 of us can make it and there are hire costs + possibly catering etc wasted? Tom already has his editor’s lunches and these are obviously more formal so we wanted to keep the posters’ gatherings less so, recognising the nature of our diaries.

A compromise future venue could be The Green Man pub in Bedfont, 10 minutes walk from Hatton Cross / Jurys Inn LHR and a short cab / bus ride from Feltham station. At the approach to 27L – if easterly operations with 09R for take off then even better, nothing if 27L is for take off though. There is also the LHR Thistle Hotel especially if 27R is in use for take off, not much of a hotel but enough of us could haggle them to open the terrace beside the restaurant for some heavy V1 action – great memories of Concorde evening to JFK rotating just there. Green Man has a heated beer garden, I’d have been there all this week no matter how cold for that Siberian easterly wind and heavy rotations and undercarriage retractions what seems like only feet above you! – the closest UK experience to SXM… Beer is ok too…

PatJordan
    Participant

Jim,

the idea of wheels retracting a few(ish) feet over one’s head while enjoying a glass of something sounds good to me.

I, for one, would love to put faces to some of the names on the forum.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 135 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls