Next BT FFP meeting – BA open day LHR 3rd Sep

Back to Forum
Viewing 9 posts - 31 through 39 (of 39 total)

• Bunnahabhain
    Participant

Nigel, Rob & I are at the baguette stall near the A380, copy of BT in hand!

Bunnahabhain
    Participant

Now at Green Man, table outside front of pub.

KeaneJohn
    Participant

Well I have just walked in the door after a long but fantastic day.

I arrived at BA just after 10am with my friend and was great to see the car park signposted and shuttle buses to the event. Entry was quick.

On the whole, the event was exceptionally well organised with one minor exception of congestion on the new 777 (with new First). Initially they had entry/exit via the engineering centre and a jetway with people going up and down both aisles and a queue for a flight deck visit. This meant that inside the aircraft became very congested easily. I am led to believe that later, they had entry via the rear doors through the aircraft with cockpit visits too.

I do have to say that I wasn’t that impressed with the new First cabin on the 777. It just felt too much like a coffin not a suite and a bit too full (too many seats not too many people on board).

Apart from that there were several interesting stands and exhibits in the 2 hangers. I went on the A319, the A318, A380, 777 and 757. The A380 was an Airbus test model with just a shell and all the test equipment which was a little disappointing but was interesting to see just how large it was from standing under the wing and next to the wheels.

There was a something to do for all the family and the weather was very kind to us with involvement and participation from children actively encouraged.

I did manage to see Alexandra Burke who sung 4 of her biggest hits. Was good to see here sing live though didn’t catch anything else as was engrossed in other activities. Would have quite liked to have seen the Fashion Show of BA Uniforms through the ages.

Shortly after 4pm I got to The Green Man, before the rest of the BTers and I was just leaving when I spotted a Business Traveller on the table.

Jason, Simon and Jim were there and we chatted for a few hours watching the incoming aircraft fly over us moments before landing. One or 2 fins that we were not sure of.

Conversation over dinner turned into a guessing game as to which non BA metal would land first with Swiss, Virgin, BMI and Lufthansa in the runnings.

After that we used our Smart Phones to track aircraft coming in then we could tell what the flight number was and where the aircraft had originated.

All in all a most excellent day one of the highlights meeting other forum posters. Shame a few more didn’t manage to make it and eagerly await details of the next meeting.

A few pictures were taken and I videod Alexandra Burke so I think it is our aim to get some sort of page set up with these on for the rest of you to enjoy.

Bunnahabhain
    Participant

I was staying at Jurys and my room overlooked the engineering area. I could see the 777 (didn’t realise it was a -300), the 747, Concorde (looking rather lonely with no steps or ground vehicles) and the tail of another aircraft hidden by trees. What a surprise to discover it was the last 757 G-CPET, with the captain who flew the last sector from EDI manning the display stand at the bottom of the steps. Really set the scene for the rest of the day, which was excellent and helped by the weather – today’s staff day has been washed out. Some of the 757’s seats were already gone, but great to have a nostalgic wander through and sit in the flight deck, then do a full pre-flight walkaround! The captain – sorry I can’t remember his name – said it was next going over to LGW for stripping and FedEx.

Met up with BT forum agents M and Q to join the boarding queue for the 777-300, which the 757 captain said had only recently been delivered and is only the third in service with BA, so another treat for the punters. We got switched to boarding from the port rear which was much better all round, ascending through the cabins to new First then the flight deck, complete with 2 obnoxious kids in front – they had a good go at wrecking the table in your seat VK. New WT and WTP both looked significantly better, which was reinforced when we visited the 747 later. We weren’t the only ones who failed to recognise Chris and Wes being filmed in new First – a new thread “…. kids in…” was considered until we were duly educated on our ignorance by their agent. Too much watching those flight deck DVDs & BA Heritage TV and not enough Sky One, folks. 

After lunch on board (well on board the grass anyway), and a disappointing look inside the test A380, another surprise, one of the two A318s from the LCY-JFK service which had just landed at LCY earlier in the morning and nipped over for the event. Being Club World pax we boarded immediately from the port front, bypassing the queue for the flight deck! Impressive all round, and a good chat with the BA LCY & SNN manager about various aspects of the whole product. Unlike CW on the 777 and 747, we felt there was no real difference between any of the seats, with all having plenty space. Hopefully the model can be extended to other routes. 

Next, a long queue to board the 747, one of the older looking birds although had new First. It did looked quite cramped even allowing for the number of people filing through the cabin, we preferred the 773. We gave the queue for the upper deck a miss as time was short – so sorry no pic of 60B – and headed back through CW, WTP and WT – the latter two looking pretty tired cf the new products on the 773.

We then got upgraded by a pilot at the port rear to the crew bunk area, a tardis accessed by a ship-style ladder at the starboard rear end. 4 WT style seats although a bit more pitch, and 8 (I think) British Rail sleeper bunk beds, 2 of which were at floor level. Photo opportunity for our copy of BT magazine, a bit like Gulliver the bear – hope it wins us the free flights in crew class!!

We had to give the A319 a miss because of time – no offence shorthaul – and just managed a tour round the stands in the hangars. An hour longer would have been perfect. There didn’t seem to be a stand for the Executive Club, every other part of BA was represented including mock ups of the new cabin products. 

All in all a great event which worked up a fair appetite for retiral to The Green Man, and fortunately the runway order had been switched at 3pm (last Saturday it wasn’t) to landing on 27L. Respect to those airlines who put their name on the belly! 

We also enjoyed a day of excellent service, from the first entry gate to leaving, from staff of all organisations involved. The catering was also reasonably priced, unusual for such captive audience events. Showed that necessary functions such as security checking can be done well from both the airport / airline and the customer perspectives. 

Sincerely hope it runs for a third time next year. 

flying_sikh
    Participant

I’ve just for home from the BA open day. Although it was interesting the rain’s played a spoilt sport. I must say last year was much better. There was more stuff on display and the weather was perfect.

trident3
    Participant

Agree – splendid day out on Saturday. Mosy impressed by enthusiasm of all the hosts I spoke to.

Hope it’s last time i need to go down an escape slide, but the Deicer instruction might come in useful in future…..

Well done to all involved. T3

NTarrant
    Participant

Really good day, Jim has put it well. Just another hour would have been great to get it all in comfortably. Impressed with the friendy staff, including the G4S security people.

Definately well done to all involved.

JordanD
    Participant

Admittedly, link was posted on FlyerTalk – it appears that there is another Open Day in a couple of weeks.

http://www.cvent.com/events/british-airways-open-day/event-summary-2d4f7694f1444f339a951a6368744895.aspx?i=987ABA5D-4DA0-478B-8387-C22716834F37

Anyone know if this is a “real” event – seems a bit odd to have an event two weeks after another Open Day and it seems a different set up to that where you had to register for the event on 3rd/4th Sept.

Anyone (including BT) know any more?

Bunnahabhain
    Participant

Jordan when I opened your link it said this event has now closed, suggesting it was the one last weekend, although the organiser is different – ours was Event Elephant. Might it have been the staff day on Sunday?

Here are the boys from new First on the 777-300;
    http://sky1.sky.com/dance

Viewing 9 posts - 31 through 39 (of 39 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls