Newspapers and Magazines in Lounges – BA & Virgin.

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 40 total)

• Tom Otley
    Keymaster

New issue in Eurostar at London St Pancras lounge….

… always liked trains….

Eurostar-lounge

1 user thanked author for this post.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

Why not in T5 lounge Tom…..?

Tom Otley
    Keymaster

Good question.

At the moment there are no magazines or newspapers in there apart from ‘single use’ copies of High Life…

I have been told

1. It’s more sustainable to offer the newspapers and magazines through the Press Reader app. Which of course it is, but the problem is the wifi is quite slow so it’s not a very efficient means of delivery. I don’t see many people taking advantage of this (as opposed to in hotels, where I think they do – well, I do, anyway)

2. Covid – you know, the virus is on the paper. I’m not going to get into that one…

3. Cost-cutting.

So if you would like magazines and newspaper I think it’s worth mentioning it to the lounge attendants, managers and receptionists.

If 50% of people mention it, then I think newspapers and magazines will go back in. If 1% mention it, then they probably won’t.

ASK1945
    Participant

Tom

I did write a day or so about Pressreader but I can’t find my input on the thread. But, to answer one point about what you just wrote, I download the newspaper(s) of MY choice, either just before I leave home for the airport, or in the airport lounge. It takes only a couple of minutes. Then I don’t have messy newsprint surrounding me on the plane.

At home, I don’t use Pressreader – because I prefer to read printed newspapers there, for which I pay.

For those who prefer messy newsprint in the lounge or on the plane, then “yes” this is a silly, petty, stupid BA cost-cutting exercise. But, in the context of everything else going on at present, hardly worth a major debate when one can buy one’s personal choice of newspaper for a couple of GBPs anyway, on the way into the lounge.

LondonAndy70
    Participant

There is a far wider range of papers and magazines available on Pressreader and I’m not unhappy with the change….

Tom Otley
    Keymaster

Fair enough.

It’s partly about choice. There are still people (thankfully) who like reading physical newspapers and magazines. There are also some who aren’t keen on downloading the app and in many cases creating an account with personal information etc…

2 users thanked author for this post.

Chris in Makati
    Participant

It might be worth mentioning here that you can get free access to PressReader with local library cards issued in many countries. For some you just enter the library card number, for others you also have to enter a PIN associated with the card.

That beats paying for each individual newspaper or magazine that you download if you’re not in an airport lounge or hotel that gives it for free.

ASK1945
    Participant

[quote quote=1209107]It might be worth mentioning here that you can get free access to PressReader with local library cards issued in many countries. For some you just enter the library card number, for others you also have to enter a PIN associated with the card.[/quote]

Chris – this is what I wrote a few days ago, but somehow after I posted my message, it disappeared.

frustratedflyer
    Participant

Interesting to see the different views. I think Eurostar deserve the award in this category by providing both printed magazines and newspapers as well as a digital offering. Providing customer choice and satisfaction is the key. BA take note!

ASK1945
    Participant

Sorry to resurrect this old thread, but I wonder whether other members of the Forum who use Pressreader in BA lounges are experiencing any problems?

I have been unable to get into Pressreader through my library membership and – going online to find out what’s wrong – it seems to be a general issue that’s been occurring to scores of others, not just in the UK. Only a 7-day free trial followed by Premium membership is being offered.

Has this problem affected free downloads in BA lounges also?

Chris in Makati
    Participant

It can be hit and miss when logging into PressReader with a library card account. Sometimes I have to try a few times before it picks up that it’s a free library account, otherwise it wants to charge for the download. A little persistence does usually pay off though.

ImissConcorde
    Participant

I had this problem last week. On the “more” tab click “reset activation” This seemed to solve the issue!

DavidSmith2
    Participant

I was (very briefly) reflecting on this in the T5 lounge at the weekend. I appreciate that newspapers & magazines were removed during COVID, but is there any reason, apart from cost, why they have not been brought back? I used to enjoy the opportunity to read a proper UK newspaper rather than on their websites. It was also much more convenient for doing The Times crossword.

ASK1945
    Participant

ImissConcorde – thank you for your tip, but there isn’t a “reset activation” in any of my three devices I have looked, unless you mean the library tab (see below).

Perhaps I should have explained that the problem started this morning when I had to do an update before Pressreader would open. I did this on only one of my three devices, so I am operating with two not updated. Also, all three devices show that I am registered through my local library, and the only thing I could find relating to a reactivation was the library tab – and this didn’t work.

I have also tried uninstalling and then reinstalling it on all three devices. This was unsuccessful.

Chris in Makati – I have been using Pressreader for several years, since well before Covid. I have subscriptions for two (printed) UK daily newspapers, so use Pressreader only when I am travelling away from home. I have never previously had any problem with Pressreader.

Chris in Makati
    Participant

@ASK1945

Did you try logging out then logging back in with the library card account? I sometimes have to do that.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 40 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls