Newspapers and Magazines in Lounges – BA & Virgin.

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 40 total)

• frustratedflyer
    Participant

A recent trip through the BA Lounge at LHR reminded me how much I miss picking up a newspaper or magazine in the lounge. As a reminder these were removed at the start of COVID for health reasons.

So why have they not returned as menus have in restaurants. Does BA still think they pose a health risk? Very odd as you can pick up copies of BA’s Highlife magazine and I believe Virgin have brought back their inflight magazine.

Perhaps BA believe that the user unfriendly and slow Pressreader App they have introduced is one of their service enhancements.

I am sure BA monitor this Forum so which is it? A health measure or service enhancement? Or is it just plain cost cutting and service reduction? Lets see if they can respond faster than than on the telephone!

7 users thanked author for this post.

FrDougal
    Participant

Im a much bigger fan of Pressreader.

No waste, no faffy page flipping, I can have as many publications downloaded as I wish, dont have to deal with grubby glossy magazine covers, a scattering of sectionals and most importantly a reduction in damage caused by distribution.

Guess Iv just moved with the times.

2 users thanked author for this post.

sparkyflier
    Participant

Frustratedflyer I am pleased you raised this. Also bring back inflight magazines for use on the plane! They pay for themselves with the advertising! I do miss these – they bring entertainment to the flight and are also a tool for the airline to inform their customers of their services, innovations, new routes etc.

Highlife is only available in the Heathrow lounges but I am pleased to hear Virgin have bought these back. These things, including menu cards, actually make a difference to my choice of airline.

Last year I had a very pleasant flight to Poland on LOT (who had a good magazine etc) and would choose them over BA for that country/that region.

Some people do not want to look at a laptop/Ipad screen all the time.

1 user thanked author for this post.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

@frustrated flyer.

but, papers and the advertising magazines were freely available by the boarding gates in T3 yesterday – but as you say, not yet in the lounges.

Other strange airport/travel anomalies:

BA lounge, feels ordering food via an app is safer than the previous buffet style, even thought some drinks are now self service. The amazing QF lounge in T3 thinks the buffet style remains safe and also allows a sit at the bar drinks service.

T3 fast track security’s only interest is cramming passengers along an unventilated corridor to one working machine that has room for 1 or 2 passengers max to put items in the boxes for inspection. Yet on board, you still have the, “please remain seated so we can socially distance when leaving the aircraft….” which no one now listens to.

Check in staff coming to the side of perspex screens to talk to passengers, otherwise they cant be heard.

I know each company must undertake their own risk assessment but you would think airlines and airports would at least to have some sort of conformity to enable so passengers to navigate the travel process with confidence and reassurance.

The provision of newspapers and magazines within the BA lounge is only one item in long list that will bring common sense & enjoyment back into the amazing world of travel.

LaundryMan
    Participant

Can only agree with the comments

I used the Galleries North yesterday and it is not a pleasant experience and with no papers or magazine around – it generally lacks atmosphere or a nice environment

Yes plenty of people around to serve the food but come on why not return to pre covid environment and actually be nice to your “paying customers”

I suppose the only advantage was that I was not flying from Manchester Airport !

3 users thanked author for this post.

Polly
    Participant

Quantas lounge on Monday morning a fab treat. Great brunch offered, by a la carte menu. Top ups of fizz etc.. so pleasant. Didn’t notice papers tho.. only reason to use T3. Have used CX before, which is also fabulous….

huey
    Participant

Little doubt in my mind that travel providers across the board are doing everything possible to keep expenses low until their revenue stream gets large enough to make up for the two horrendous years of virus hysteria.

3 users thanked author for this post.

Abidjan
    Participant

I too miss the array of magazines/newspapers. Just not the same.

Tom Otley
    Keymaster

As you’d imagine, I take quite an interest in this.

It’s fairly random whether companies are taking back magazines.

This was the BA Terrace First Lounge a few weeks ago, with only a handful of High Life magazines available.

Terrace-first-lounge

But as long ago as November, Eurostar had a fairly full stock (this is in Brussels, but there were also magazines in the St Pancras Lounge)

Eurostar-Brussels

Tom Otley
    Keymaster

… though magazines and newspapers are available at the gate…

Heathrow

Originally there were concerns that the virus might be transmitted through / on paper, but with 1 in 13 people in the Uk currently with Covid, I think it’s just cost cutting now.

SimonS1
    Participant

If it’s BA there will be some cost cutting angle.

KelTraveller
    Participant

Totally agree with this. It does seem to be another cost cutting exercise by BA in favour of, in my opinion, an inferior product in Pressreader!

sparkyflier
    Participant

I was at the AA lounge at CDG recently, and while the food offering was super and tasty and with a number of options.. there were no magazines or newspapers at all, and these were missed. Magazines such as the inflight magazines, others and of course Business Traveller (both adverts and articles) have frequently given me inspiration to visit certain places, enjoy them more,or helped me choose certain airlines, hotels and other travel providers.

DannyBoy
    Participant

I have also moved with the times and use Pressreader or the digital app of the publication to which I already have a personal subscription. Whilst I am sure there is an element of cost cutting, I know BA has a strong strategy for sustainability for low carbon emissions and all that stuff. Now I don’t know what the overall demand for hard copy newspapers or magazines is but then again I can’t think the last time In the last 5 years I have when I have physically bought a copy from a newsagent or shop. The only time I might is if someone has left a discarded copy on the train which I may then have a flick through, more often than not this is just the Metro or Evening Standard. Speaking to a member of staff in my local supermarket this afternoon, the assistant said papers were mostly for the elderly but couldn’t comment about the magazines, but they certainly have less demand for both of them. My dad retired a year ago and just gets what he needs straight to his iPad and is content with it. If people have issues with this then you should feedback your opinions to BA directly, whether they do anything I couldn’t say but at least they have been told and they need a high demand to make changes.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

I use the FT digital subscription and read the ePaper on my tablet or computer, but I much prefer a real paper copy in my hand. Since where I live it’s impossible to get the paper on the day this is my only option. Swiss and Lufthansa certainly have a small selection of magazines in the First cabin and the lounge, but not sure if they have them elsewhere on the plane.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 40 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls